1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Yao Ming, Seriously!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willylee, Dec 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willylee

willylee Member

I'm a big Rockets fan but also a successful businessman. Her'es my rationale:

Yao's asset value is high now, that's why you trade him. Although I am not saying that YM won't be a superstar, the point is that he is at this time forecasted to be a superstar in the league of Shaq, MJ and others. Other teams are willing to give up a lot based on this "perceived value" with hi draft picks and top players. There have been many trades in sports where a single prospect was traded for several top players that secured the franchise's future. The single big prospect often times does not turn out as well as they forecast due to many reasons - injuries etc. If the rox can get top picks, prime players for YM who is only forecasted to be a superstar then why not? Eg, Golden State would be glad to give up Antawn Jamison plus top draft picks for Yao. Trade YM to the Grizzlies for Pau and a few top prospects.

2. ewfd

ewfd Member

utter nonsense.

quality centers are impossible to find now.

that's like trading a winning lotto ticket for a bunch of scratch offs.

3. MadMonk

MadMonk Member

Oh Shush, Mr Successful Biznedman.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You might not be a successful business man for long. rolleyes:

5. DCballer

DCballer Member

shut the f@#k up. That has got to be the gayest $hit i have ever heard. Why don't you do us all a favor, and shoot your self now. I'll be waiting. me and across110Street.

6. willylee

willylee Member

You guys tend to forget that there are also other quality centers out there who may not necessarily be superstar caliber but are adequate to fit into a championship team. You don't need nor have the salary cap room to have the best at every position to win championships. By trading Yao you can get 3 top players, possibly a solid center, 1 near-superstar and another solid player plus draft choices for the future. By simply relying on one person, superstar Yao, you are putting all your marbles in one basket which is not what a smart GM would do. Look at football with Ricky Williams or hockey with Eric Lindros. The teams that got them traded the farm for them, players with big potential, and in the end lost out as they gave up their future for one big name. The rox have bargaining power now, leverage it for the future of the franchise.

Team chemistry is what wins championships, not a single player. The rox don't have what it takes as a team to win championships with this combination.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

yea. what he said

8. YaoROY

YaoROY Member

willylee,

The problem is that a team also need reputation. The Rox have to maintain the reputation of keeping potential superstars. You give up Yao when he hasn't done anything wrong means you're not taking care of good players. That will hurt us in the FA market in the future because other superstars FA would say 'hey you might trade me too if you get the right deal'.

9. willylee

willylee Member

Another thing for rox fans, as fans your support for your players are commendable. However, your ignorance of business matters such as this are evident. Like in almost all businesses (eg. real estate, restaurants, technology), one sells when the perceived value of the asset is high. In this case, the asset, being Yao is perceived as high by teams around the league (partially generated by the media hoopla).

For example, refer to the dot-com boom, the guys who made out big time are the ones who sold stock of the companies at the peak of the market when everybody thought they'd revolutionize the world. Cardinal Rule 1: Cash out when the price is high = cash out of Yao when everybody wants him. That's when you can get the most.

Getting a solid center, a few star or near star players plust future draft picks that can create a team with solid chemistry that can compete for a championship are what I consider fair trade.

10. willylee

willylee Member

Hello YaoRoy,

You seem like a smart person unlike some of the other uneducated insults being thrown around.

Basketball is a business. The players & management know this. Fans are a bit more passionate about players since they forge an attachment to them. It's human nature and commendable but this does not necessarily mean it's good business.

Players generally do consider a team's reputation to a certain extent but in the NBA and in all sports where athletes have a short and fixed life span, they generally take the money. Of course this is not the case of all athletes but I would estimate that 90% of athletes are not as loyal to organizations as the fans would like to believe. As players know basketball is a business, I don't think that a trade of a high asset player like Yao to improve the overall business for the benefit of a championship would detriment the organization's reputation at all. Fans are the ones who get too passionate for certain players despite their detriment to a team. I'm not saying Yao is a detriment, what I'm saying is that his asset value is high enough to warrant a very favorable trade for the Rox that can ensure the team's success for a very long time while in the meantime reducing the risk of a hit-miss on one single player.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

1) Your remedial analogy of the dot com boom is pretty pathetic. Investing taught by people like Schwab, Bogle, and others teaches you that you cannot guarantee maximization of profits by timing the market. :rolleyes: So you're saying we should gamble?

2) Your analogy of basketball being run as a pure business would leave you with the Clippers - a team run solely on the premise of minimizing costs. Wooptie doo.

3) Yao Ming is arguably a top-3 center in the NBA right now. He is playing a position that is the hardest to find superior talent. And you want to do what? Trade him. Ok.

12. ScreamingRocketJet

willy

No disrespect, but dumbest post ever. In fact, dumbest post I have ever read on any forum, sports or otherwise.

You claim to be a succesful businessman, but you are willing to trade Yao for a guy who has already levelled out in Jamison.

Thus, a potential superstar for a quality starter and a pick.

Hmmmmmm...I've got this great idea to sell ice to the Eskimo's, care to invest? :D

Your either very stupid, or a Warriors fan.

13. willylee

willylee Member

1. By not trading Ming you are gambling. A single athlete, Yao, has much higher inherent risk than a collection of atheletes and future draft picks. Risks such as injury and unfulfilled potential (not panning out as forecasted - the nba is littered with players who never met their initial potential) is possible. The rox should have first hand experience with Ralph Sampson. By laying your entire future on one player is highly risky and this risk can be spread by doing deals. Being a smart businessman or in this case a GM means that they should always open to deals. There should be no untouchables. YM is no different, he shold not be an untouchable in case the right deal came along.

2. As I've mentioned, team chemistry is what the team should strive for. The Clips have none, neither do the Rox for that matter. However if the asset, YM, can bring in other assets, draft picks and players, that can achieve the goal of team chemistry then a trade shold be considered.

3. If you refer to my previous post. You do not need the best at each and every position no matter if it is 1,2 or 3 best player. BB is a team sport and trading the best player in the league is not out of the question if the tradeoff is a championship team. Yes it is hard to find a center however let me put it this way... hypothetically if you take the best player at each position in history of bb, you still may not be able to beat the Chicago bulls of the 90's. It's overall team chemistry that counts not how good the player is. By focusing on that is mistake for a team sport.

14. Nomar

Nomar Member

Holy ****! You mean to tell me that economic theory tells us to buy low and sell high? Dear god, I've been going at it all wrong! Thank you wily coyote, you've done it yet again.

15. willylee

willylee Member

Hello ScreamingRocketJet,

From your name it's obvious you fall into the category of passionate fan. That's great but that's why they don't hire you, you're a fan.

No I did not specifically mean to say Jamison for YM but rather used it as an example of a team that may be desparate for YM and be willing to give up a lot in return (due to their fan demographics) for a star attraction. GS in my opinion is willing to trade top players (I used Jamison as an example) and draft picks plus cash. The Rox are drawing less than 13K a game , less than what the Grizzlies used to draw in Vancouver, a city full of hockey fans! The rox may need the cash even, who knows the real situation.

Fans fail to recognize that bb is a business. The first task is to make money. Of course a winning team helps but there are examples of losing teams that make money too. Look at NY teams.

BTW, from my point of view some of the posts from fans are pretty ignorant as well.

16. cmellon

cmellon Member

Next there will be a thread about trading SF to diversify the risk (remember he is Steve "headache" Francis after all) while he has a high market value.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Using your backwards and strange line of thought, we would've traded away Hakeem Olajuwon. Your turn...

So you want to achieve team chemistry by getting draft picks, new players, and people that have no experience in the Rockets' offense. And you want to wait even longer for those draft picks to materialize into "hopefully" something. You still don't make sense.

Yes, of course the 90's Bulls just happened to have 1 of the 3 greatest players ever to play the game. Your theory of trading away the best player in the league not being out of the question is and odd statement considering most of the recent championship teams have had the league's best player (or at least top 3).

This thread really sucks and your points are on a weak foundation. Are you just trying to rile people up? I ask because you obviously don't do your homework before you post.

18. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Since a Clutch Crew member responded to this thread without locking it, I guess it's ok to pile on.

willylee, if you claim to be a "successful" business, one would assume you know the rules of the game. How do you plan to get aroung the salary matching of the NBA for teams over the cap? Yao makes rookie scale, while Jamison is making 8 million a year.

Please Clutch, for the love of all things holy, put in a minimum post requirement to start threads.

19. coolpet

coolpet Member

like you said, BB itself is a business, then Yao brings the most profit. no player like him can sell more ticket and jersey. he is a gold mine.

20. willylee

willylee Member

If you really think about it , is my post really that stupid? From fans who are obviously blinded by their heroes to the point that common sense has all but evaporated, I take no offense to those who are ignorant. However note the following:

Most of the solutions here in this forum consist of the following:

1. Trading players CM, SF, Rice.
    2. Second guessing the coach's decisions on every thing from substitions to play calling.

These solutions are not possible (only ignorant fans suggest them as they have no concept of reality or any knowledge of bb) go ask the Rudy and the GM. Who's going to take the salaries of Rice, Mo T, Cato? How can you throw Ming the ball more when he's only had 25% of the season to learn the system? Second guessing substitions, that's all in hindsight! It's all speculation and I'm sure the management gets a laugh from reading some of these silly posts.

Let's now focus on reality...

Any successful person knows that you can only do what is possible within the realm of reality. It's great to dream up, deal Rice for this and that but reality is that it can't be done. The biggest asset the Rockets have is YM at this juncture in time. His perceived value now is possibly more than it will ever be in reality and to not be open to possible deals is just stupid. I'm not saying trade him for the sake of it but consider deals that may change the shape of this franchise for the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.