1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Arnett Moultrie have Kevin Durant Potential?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RealContender, May 31, 2012.

1. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

At Mississippi State, he was asked to do a lot of Stop and Pop type stuff. Looking at some videos of him from last season, I don't see a lot of opportunities for him to take someone off the dribble.

I compared Durant's college stats to Arnett's, and they each played about 35 minutes/game. Durant averaged 26 ppg to Arnett's 16, but Moultrie shot better, both from the Field and the 3 point line.

Also, Durant barely edged out Moultrie when it comes to rebounding - 11.1 to 10.5 per game (college numbers).

I want to see more of Moultrie in 1-on-1 situations, because he certainly has the raw athleticism to turn into a KD-type player in the NBA.

Anyone have any further thoughts on Moultrie's potential?

If he's there at 14, should the Rockets draft him?

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm high on this kid, Rockets should definitely draft him.

But, I wouldn't call him Rudy Gay just yet.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Did you get this comparison from NBADraft.net?

4. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

No. I was watching highlights of him a while ago and thought to myself, "I'd really like to see more of him off the dribble."

And of course, I compared he and Durant's college stats.

5. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

Arnett Moultrie at 14 and Moe Harkless at 16 makes a lot of sense to me.

6. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Interesting prospect for sure. He has great size and can no doubt add strength. I don't know if Durant is a fair comparison, because I don't envision Moultrie as a perimeter player but he definately has the skills to have a consistant jumper and even shows deep range.

At this moment I would probably rank him with the other bigs in this draft and place him behind Davis and Drummond. But I would rather have this guy then the lost of 6'8'' bigs like Robinson (who I still like) and Sullinger.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I wouldnt say durantula potential... i like him and in all potential picks threads i select him at #16... i like.him alot but comparing to KD is a stretch...but i do believe he could become a very good nba starter, potentially a star in the league...

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Moultrie is a PF/C, while Durant is strictly SF. What is the point of comparing the two?

9. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

Moultrie is LISTED as a PF, but if you'll do some research, you'll see that he showed the ability at MSU to score inside AND score outside.

"Runs the court like a guard, with a fluid gait and long, easy strides. Nightmare matchup for opponents on the interior due to explosive quickness and elevation." - NBADraft.net

Sounds like a double threat to me. As I said in my initial post, he wasn't asked to do a whole lot off the dribble last season at MSU..

having said that, I'd like to see what he can do on the perimeter. He certainly has the athleticism for it. Also, don't forget that he played SF at UTEP before being moved to PF last season at Mississippi State.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Durant attempted 205 3-pointers in his only season in college and hit 40% of them. Moultrie attempted only 18 3 pointers this past year, and hit 8 of them. TINY ASS sample size. His high % most likely resulting from luck. If Moultrie really was as deadly as his % indicated, they would have had him shoot more form distance.

Durant also likely took more shots from the longer distance and instead of the post and took more contested shots and shots he created himself than Moultrie did given the volume of attempts he put up.

Moreover, Durant was an 18-year old freshmen when he put up those stats. Moultrie is a 21-year old junior (sat out last season after transfer).

So, the comparison is wrong is multiple ways.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I've watch a few MSU games, this season. There's no Kevin Durant in Moultrie, though Moultrie is an outstanding athlete with skills. But he's much more suited for power forward.

He doesn't have Durant's quickness, uncanny shooting ability, and he cannot defend quick wings, like most small forwards.

I do not know why people do this on clutch fans. He's a great prospect without comparing him to Durant, which is sort ridiculous. Besides, Moultrie, himself is a good rebounder, has good inside post moves (could be better), very athletic, and has pretty decent jump shot. Center makes way more sense than small forward.

I know what I am saying when it comes to Moultrie. I never saw anything remotely close to Kevin Durant. If someone said Perry Jones, I'd understand a little more, but not really.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Arnett Moultrie does not deserve this kind stress and pressure before he has even hit an NBA court yet. Why would you thrust such upon him??

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's called dreaming.

14. Pete the Cheat

Arnett Moultrie has better college numbers than LBJ and Dwight Howard combined. we are all witnesses...

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Moultrie is a PF/SF, he only recently started playing as PF. Played most of his school time as SF and has all the tools for it, some scouts say he could play SF in NBA. The guys here saying he's PF/C are dead wrong.

16. Pete the Cheat

his profile reads like a jack of all trades but a master of none.
    but high motor guys with his physical attributes always seem to carve a niche for themselves, for that reason I see him as an effective role player.

if only he was 6'8"...

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

More like jonathan bender

18. denver-rox-fan

Since you watched a bunch of Moultrie I have a couple questions for you.

Any idea why his blocked shot stats are so low? For a guy that tall, long and athletic you would expect WAY more than 0.8 bpd.

And could he play center? Rockets need help at the 5 more than the 4 IMO.

Love the prospect though. Not a lot of long athletic types at the 4-5 for us recently.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I do not see the rationale in putting someone who is almost an ideal power forward a small forward, especially at 6,11 and 225-240 lbs (somehow he isn't able to play center). Good rebounder, better than average post player, great leaping ability,. He's a good player on the wing, but defensively he's more suited to play power forward or center, more so than small forward. Outside of muscle mass, I do not see any deficiency in his games that would not allow him to play center, at worst on occasion.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yeah, we are going to have to pass on him, this time around.