1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice League vs. The Avengers vs. X-Men

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, May 28, 2012.

Tags:
?

Who would win?

1. Justice League

50 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. The Avengers

23 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. X-Men

35 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    DC is completely boring. 5 of their characters are stupidly overpowered and strong and could probably win a fight against anyone. That's exactly why DC is boring. Who wants heroes that are completely invincible? Like I said, Batman is basically the only good (main) story line DC has to offer. Though I do think the Hal Jordan Green Lantern character and the Wallly West Flash character offer pretty entertaining comics. I haven't really read anything that solely had the Martian Manhunter in it, but his character is pretty cool too. Other than that...ehh

Also, I discounted the whole Flash argument b/c I read the JLA/Avengers crossover where quicksilver beat the Flash in a race. I mean come on...seriously? The speedforce is just another one of those DC arguments where the person becomes radically powerful for no reason other than they couldn't write a better story (see such things as: Parallax, Speed Force, Superman in every other arc he's ever been in)

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Batman and The Hulk fought each other to a standstill in a cross-company comic book. I don't think The Hulk ever managed to land a punch on Batman.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is the way I always seen it . . . just a way to cover up bad writing and poor imagination

Rocket River

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Where's the "stupid comics" option? Spiderman is the only one I ever liked.

5. Crudder

Crudder Member

Actually they wrote about this and the results were (if I remember correctly) two draws and the latest going to Superman via popular vote.

Also (not addressed to poster I quoted), the argument that Hulk cannot die is insanely ridiculous - the same can be made for Doomsdays, Wolverine, and a bunch of other characters. Does it mean they would win in a fight against a being like the Living Tribunal, Spectre, or even Galactus? No.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Not saying this pertains to you because i'm not completely sure of your stance, but.....

I love how some have the double standard that Batman would be relevant yet Captain America, Black Panther, Iron Man would be complete nonfactors.

7. Batman Jones

Here is the short-form history of DC and Marvel Comics:

- DC created Superman in 1938. He was meant to be the uber-man, a man that could do nearly anything, though at the time he couldn't fly; he could just leap very high ("to leap tall buildings in a single bound"). Remember, this was 1938.
    - DC created Batman in 1939 as a way to follow up on the success of Superman. He was created to be the ultimate in human potential. 1939.
    - Around the same time, the original versions of Robin, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Aquaman and The Atom were created.
    - Around the same time, the precursor to Marvel created two characters that remain in circulation today: Namor and an early version of The Human Torch called simply The Torch because he was not human; he was an android.
    - Around WWII, all comics started selling badly other than Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, the only superheroes that survived cancelation.
    - In 1959, J'onn J'onnz, the Manhunter from Mars (or Martian Manhunter) was created. This was the event that most consider the early beginning of the Silver Age of comics. Shortly after, the versions of a lot of the DC characters we know today were created: The Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, etc. In 1960 (I think) the Justice League was formed.
    - Shortly after the formation of the Justice League, Marvel created the Fantastic Four to try to piggy-back the success of the JLA. It was led by Mr. Fantastic, pretty much a rip-off of Plastic Man, a character that has since been bought by DC but was not a DC character at the time.
    - Marvel developed a very wise strategy to compete with DC, which was to make comic books more believable and realistic by giving their heroes real-world problems. This is why for the entire 1960s and 70s it was difficult to find an issue of Spiderman in which he didn't have a broken arm, the flu or both. And he was always broke. And he was a nerd. Marvel invented this character-driven approach to superheroes and that was their crowning achievement.
    - As Marvel had copied DC with so many of its characters (Quicksilver=Flash; Vision=Red Tornado; you can do this with almost every Marvel character though a few of them were completely original ideas), DC began to mimic Marvel's more realistic approach.
    - In the 1970s, DC outran Marvel at its own strategy, especially with the Denny O'Neill/Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow series and their work on Batman, including the introduction of Ra's Al Ghul. By this point the two were constantly jumping off each others' ideas, sharing creators, etc. and they have continued that practice ever since.

But never forget DC's contributions to the phenomenon of the superhero, Marvel fans.

DC invented superheroes, they invented supervillains, they invented child sidekicks, they invented superhero teams (the Justice Society of America being the first, back in the 40s) and they were the first to take comic book characters into more mainstream forms of entertainment. First on the scene with radio serials, TV serials, movies, cartoons, and hit TV series. DC also invented a more sophisticated type of comic book characters with its Vertigo imprint, which introduced Sandman, John Constantine (Hellblazer), V for Vendetta and relaunched (to great effect) Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Shade: The Changing Man, etc.

DC also oversaw the true peak of comic book history in the 1980s with Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen: two comic book mini-series that redefined comics forever. The X-Men were huge during this period, but DC changed the weather.

DC did almost every single thing before Marvel did and then Marvel had a chance to build on it. And build on it they did, thanks almost exclusively to the teams of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.

Since then, in more contemporary times, Marvel has largely owned the market. This changed over the last year and DC has overtaken them since their relaunch.

So when talking about how stupid DC and their characters are, remember that they are building on a history that began in 1938 and trying to preserve some of the biggest brand names in the world (Superman and Batman are about as well known as Mickey Mouse); Marvel had something of an advantage as they launched in earnest in the 1960s are were able to react to and improve upon what DC had been doing for over 20 years.

I will always be a DC guy (though I also regularly read X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, The Hulk, Iron Man, Black Panther, Power Man and Iron Fist, Nova, New Mutants, West Coast Avengers, Captain America and many other Marvel books as a child and teen) because I was introduced to superheroes through the Superfriends and the Batman TV show. I understand preferring Marvel, but to say DC is stupid is, well, stupid.

2 people like this.
  8. Batman Jones

p.s. There are probably some minor facts I fudged in my 'history lesson.' I didn't go back and look at anything. That was off of the top of my head which proves, I think, that I am the ultimate geek.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

History does not make them any more well written . . or any more imaginative.
    I started reading them in 1986 . . .
    what happened before that is not overly relevent to me . . .

A bunch of character without limits is boring
    A bunch of characters that sprout new powers whenever they are actually challenged . . . is boring
    Deus ex machina <-- comes off as an answer for too many of the issues they face

To each their own . . . *shrug*

Rocket River

Rocket River
    Rocket River

10. Batman Jones

1986 and the years surrounding it were indisputably owned by DC. Dark Knight, Watchmen, Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, Swamp Thing, Sandman, and the post-Crisis reimagining of virtually every one of its properties.

Even the top dogs at Marvel would tell you those years absolutely belonged to DC and changed the face of comics forever. X-Men was the only major property from Marvel at that point and it was virtually matched in popularity by the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans.

And BTW, with all your whining about how over-powered DC's characters are, it's most popular character has zero powers and has had his back broken. Superman is vulnerable to Kryptonite and magic and has died. In fact, nearly every major DC character has not just been defeated but has died.

It's a tired argument. Marvel also has its 'unbeatable' characters. Both companies still find ways to defeat the unbeatable characters and they both still give them satisfactory challenges every month.

11. Batman Jones

Also, speaking of tired, did you honestly sign your name three times to your post? We know it's you. It says so on the left next to your post. Why you and DaDakota continue to do this is utterly baffling. And I promise you that denizens of Clutchfans are way sicker of that than they are about Superman's supposed invulnerability.

1 person likes this.
  12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Jokes.

13. Batman Jones

Also, anyone that says DC is boring has obviously not been reading any of the following books for the last year:

Batman, Batman Inc., Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, Action Comics, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Dial H or Justice League Dark (dumb name, awesome comic).

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this thread crossed over into a whole new realm of nerd

15. rocketsbay

rocketsbay Member

Hip hop would win according to the last emperor :cool:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5SPjPGeYlMU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Obviously you haven't ever seen people playing "Magic: The Gathering".
    If anyone was offended by me saying this; good...you should be ashamed of yourself.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do you just sit around and search for things to whine about?

Rocket River

18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

You win the thread. +1.

19. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

The Hulk would smash everybody. See Maestro and World War Hulk.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Im aware that DC did a lot of things first. Yeah they had earlier superheroes that are still relevant today. Personally speaking (and if sales are an accurate measure , it's not just me) Marvel's realistic characters and identifiable locales provide a MUCH better story than the DC universe. Before the DC relaunch, most of their high sales comics were an offshoot of the Batman story.

But whatever i'll let the fact that Marvel sales have dominated the market in most every single year since the 1960's speak for itself.

Anyways, in the end it's a matter of preference. For me the stories of Marvel's street level heroes such as Spider-Man, Daredevil, Elektra, Luke Cage, Iron Fist along with some appearances by Wolverine are much better than anything else. Throw in some conflicted characters such as the Thunderbolts and some spy/espionage tales involving Nick Fury, Captain America, Black Widow, etc.. And Marvel is all I need

Oh and to say that DC invented the superhero is uhhh... wut?