1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YM starting as NBA All Star might have a downside.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

The addition of the chinese version of the ballot was an obvious result of the promotion of Yao and the NBA to all of asia. I want nothing more than for Yao to go to the all star game. I just want Shaq to start. Then I want Yao to sub for him and EMBARRASS his fat ass.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Isn't the All Star Game suppose be for me? and you guys too? I don't care what backlash the media gives, but man, I would like to see him in the All Star Game because I want to see him in it.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

The NBA All Star game is more about the fans (who they want to see) and money making. IT IS an Exibition game - period. It is a popularity context to a large extent. So if the fans want to Yao start ahead of Shaq - so be it.

If Yao dominates and stands out as the undisputed Rookie of the year - he not be denied such award because of a 'certain' bias. To compound things a but I believe that Yao will MVP votes come May if the Rockets do very well with him as the bus driver.

Oh by the way, I am a Shaq fan but I don't think ANYMORE that he is clearly "better" than Yao - no doubt he is still way more DOMINANT still (with his power/strength) (IMO).

[​IMG]
    Picture of the day.

POLL

http://www.nba.com/components/PollDisplay.jhtml?pollId=2995&team=milk_rookie&title=

4. Sane

Sane Member

Tell me, if Yao Ming makes the All Star game, who cares if he's ROY?

IMO, it's much MUCH more difficult to make the All Star game than to win Roy. To be in the All Star game, you have to be a REALLY good player, a REALLY popular player, and be on a winning team. You can score a lot and be ROY.

Every year someone gets voted ROY, but how often do rookies make the All Star team?

Besides, who's going to beat him out for ROY honors? Gooden has really cooled off, Wagner is drawing attention and has been dismal lately, which leaves Caron Butler? Yeah Right.

No way Yao Ming makes the All Star game, leads the league in FG%, plays for a top 5 team in the West and DOESN'T win ROY. It's unthinkable. Read around. Everyone says "If not for Yao Ming, player X would be #1 candidate for ROY...."

To me, this stuff means nothing. The only award that I care about is the NBA Championship Trophy, and Yao has already shown ME that he can help us get it.

5. ASIA

ASIA Member

I wouldn't mind at all for Yao to become a starter rather than Shaq. Stats shouldn't be the reason for a player to start over a more popular person with the fans. Look at Vince Carter for god sake. Vince is popular by demand because of his flashy dunking and people want to see that in a ALL Star. Same go with Yao because he is an enigma, Tall and the talk of the NBA this year and people want to see him play rather then Shaq who I think people have already seen enough of.

6. ASIA

ASIA Member

I totally disagree with you and I don't think you've think carefully before you post. ROY is one in a lifetime for everyone! Yao might not make the All Star team this year but he will have many years to make the ALL Star team.

7. Dm324

Dm324 Member

Even if Yao does start he totally deserves it, hes basically playing a whole season while he is tired, and he is not only playing, he is succeeding at it, as for shaq his lakers are in a deep hole and unless they play about 70% basketball from here on out will be in the lottery

8. YaoROY

YaoROY Member

Wrong. Making the all-star team during the rookie year is once in a lifetime thing. And that's better than being ROY.

9. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

An winning ROY is a twice in a lifetime thing?

ROY and making the All Star Team in your rookie year are not mutually exclusive.

10. ASIA

ASIA Member

I'm going to agreed and disagree. If i'm given only one choice, I would think winning ROY is more important to YAO then making the all-star team. It's nice to be voted to the all-star team in your rookie year but the all-star game aren't a serious competition and a lot of people doesn't even try. Yao might not get the respect becasue people will think that he makes the all-star team by votes from being popular with the fans. By winning ROY will earn him the respect because he won it by being better then the rest of the other rookies.

11. ym11

ym11 Member

once a year. this is a game to play the fans involed, it is like the
    movie star. Idol.. one word , it is entertainment

12. Chance

Great point. We all want to see him in the game. It would just be great on so many levels if he was selected as opposed to elected. Let's face it...if there was an internet poll where NBA fans got to vote for the winner of the Nobel Prize for Advancements in Chemistry and whoever was voted in won the prize Yao would win. It would mean so much more, probably even to Yao as well, if a bunch of world recognized chemists looked at his skills and proficiencies with beakers and flasks and tubes and liquids and stuff and collectively said, "Man, this Yao Ming guy is a wizard with alkides, let's give him the prize..."

That's my take except for the chemistry part. I meant hoops.

13. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I have no idea what all the fuss is about. So what if the fans pick Yao. Vince Carter has more votes than Yao - does he deserve it? Hell no. This is a game for the fans selected by the fans.

If youre a great player, the coach will select you.

The only reason people are apprehensive about the whole thing is to avoid upsetting Shaq. Who gives a crap about Shaq.

Is Shaq the best center in the league? Yes.
    Would it be a stretch if Yao made the All Star team? No.
    Given the first 2 answers, Why does it matter if fans select Yao over Shaq?

I doubt all of Yao's votes are a result of ballot stuffing. If it was he would have more votes than Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter. If it was, Wang Zhi Zhi and Mengke Bateer would be in the top 10 voting.

Really, what harm is there if both players make the team and Yao was named the starter.

There are way more egregious things in sports to worry about this petty topic.

14. Chance

Actually, speak for yourself. My life is pretty much cake right now. This is the most stressful thing on my plate.

;)

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

You come up with a hit song, next thing you know, slacker city.

Life just isnt fair.

16. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

To make sure there is no backlash in the ROY voting, I suggest Stern should allow some China media people vote!!

And even without those reporters, I really doubt the U.S. media will have that much animosity towards the situation. If Yao was Wang Zhi Zhi (i.e. a stiff) and got voted in, then everyone would be upset. But Yao's numbers speak for themselves and he's among one of the hot topics in basketball.

Can we compare this to when Ichiro started his first baseball all star game? Of course he deserved to start but Japan nearly voted in the entire Seattle starting lineup in. COuldn't the media have taken out their bitterness on Ichiro in the MVP voting? It was a tight vote but Ichiro won because he deserved to (and that's tough for me to say cuz Giambi was on my A's that year). Bottom line: if Yao deserves the ROY, then the media will give it to him.

17. noskrillwill

noskrillwill Member

i want yao to only take 3's in the all star game...

18. SLA

SLA Member

If all of the Chinese fans were voting, how come they aren't voting for WangZhiZhi or Mengke Bateer?

Where is the All Star Game going to be held?

19. mj230

mj230 Member

the allstar game is for the fans. we vote for our favorite players and usually the most popular players get voted in as starters. it shouldn't be for egotistical multi-millionaires who get paid enough already. that's why the nba let us vote. and they should let us vote to show some appreciation of our support.

20. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

ATLANTA

and I'm trying to get a single...