1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Yao take over Shaq as the #1 Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ASIA, Dec 26, 2002.

1. ASIA

ASIA Member

Everyone been saying that only when Shaq retired, Yao will then become the #1 center. I don't really have much respect for Shaq for calling himself LCL(last centre left). Well, it's a little to early to tell right now and we will find out how Yao will do against Shaq. Remember, Shaq have never face a 7' 6" guy with skill and not afraid to fight back. I don't think Yao will show that he can be the #1 centre this year but I think he's very capable of dethroning Shaq not because Shaq is getting old but because Yao is skill, tall and only 22. If Yao is getting respects from the fans, coaches, players and the media I think he will soon get respect from the ref. So if Shaq thinks he can push Yao around, better think twice. There is no doubt that Yao will have trouble guarding Shaq one on one and the same could be said about Shaq guarding Yao.

Here is an interesting qoute from ESPN insider:

Tough times ahead for Yao?
    by Terry Brown

"Twenty-four games into the NBA season, we are re-opening the question as to who is the second-best center in the league today. Who knows? In another 58, we may find out that the answer is Shaquille O'Neal . "

http://www.hawksquawk.net/forums/sh...er=16120&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

LOL! I quessed the medias are starting to dished Shaq now aday and probably fed up with his snobby self centre and hope that Yao will take over the #1 place as the top centre.

2. BigBnLC

BigBnLC Member

IMO. Yao will eventually but not this year thats askin to much. If yao is goin to be the best center in the league steve francis needs to be the best point guard in the league. meaning steve starts gettin 8-10 assists a night. if steve gets the ball movin more. and the offense goes through yao(this dosent mean he takes every shot he just needs to touch the ball nearly every possesion and he will make things happen)

3. Dm324

Dm324 Member

The #1 center, not statistically, but most important to his team, possibly, the lakers were awful without shaq, and are still awful with him, as for Yao we're doing great with him, but wihtout him i think teams will focus more on steve and cat and less on Cato/Collier, so Yao is definately more important to us than Shaq right now

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

In the 2004/2005 season for sure!!