1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets will seek Dwight Howard trade... again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 15, 2012.

1. babyface44

babyface44 Member

don't want him. he's a cry baby

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks for the answers. Re: Hill. This means if some team wanted Hill (and had room under their cap or an exception) they could outbid LAL?

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I suppose so. But if the Lakers want him so badly, they can offer Hill a fifth year and 7.5% annual raises.

Still, I doubt that Jordan Hill will be breaking the bank this summer in free agency.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

if the Nets win the lottery, isn't a Howard for Davis type of deal a guarantee?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

If the Nets get a top three pick it might be game over.

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I doubt that was true, even before Otis Smith was fired.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

why?, it makes perfect sense for both teams

Nets sign Dwight and Deron, Orlando gets star to rebuild around in Davis

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Maybe better for the random trade thread but...

One Magic fan 'Rocket Plan', where the Magic 'rebuild' in one quick swoop, dump most of their bad contracts(excluding Turkeyglue) on Houston and Houston sends back most of it's 'assets' to Orlando, ha.

Dwight Howard
    Glen Davis
    Jason Richardson
    Quentin Richardson
    Chris Duhon

for

Martin
    Patterson
    Dalembert
    Parsons
    Dragic
    Motiejunas

In the comments, another one proposed this. (Martin, Dalembert, Lowry, picks for Howard, Duhon, J. Richardson.)

#408 J.R., May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The first deal leaves us Lowry and Scola to deal for DWill when the Nets realize he's gonna walk. But I don't like it because it leaves us waiting for Deron to decide what he wants to do.

The second deal is probably closer to the ideal. Add Smith into that deal and we are sitting there with Dwight and we can still retain bird rights on Lee and Goran while having cap space to go after DWill straight up and force NJ into a trade.

My proposal is:
    Lowry, Dally, Martin, Patterson, Morris, Smith, and the two picks, for Dwight/Big Baby/Duhon. That leaves us Scola to amnesty if we have to, but we can likely trade him away for basic cap space to sign DWill outright while still retaining bird rights to Lee and Goran. Once the deal is set up, Morey/McHale/Dwight/DWill start recruiting Goran to sign back with us and start at SG. We can then match Lee. Dwight has a bunch of his buds (DWill, Big Baby, Lee) and we got a big time team.

#409 jopatmc, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  10. BJE

BJE Contributing Member

Unfortunately as much as I want Dwight Howard and DWill on the Rockets, it isn't going to happen. We have to face facts and not just fantasize. Gasol would be a waste of a trade as well. I don't think we should have given up on Jordan Hill either. We have a tough road ahead of us and there are no easy fixes to our problems.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This goes to my confusion about a team not picking up a player's option and his UFA. This leaves the Lakes, in this example, just where and how compared to any other team?

I guess I am denselyfied on this??? :confused:

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The comments proposal makes a lot more sense, in my opinion, than the delusional first proposal.

The first one wouldn't be so absurd if Dwight was extended. This is a rental scenario, the best we know, so the Rockets aren't going to give up 8 (eight!) of their best assets and take back 4 bad contracts (two of them go until 2015) for a rental year of Dwight coming off back surgery.

If we're talking about an unextended, unwilling Dwight, then assets you can give up. Bad contracts? I'd say one (maaaaaybe two) tops, depending on who they are. Turkoglu is probably who we are talking about mainly. The Rockets can be left with a talent hole if Dwight walks in 2013, but they can't be left with terrible flexibility and bad contracts.

If Dwight suddenly comes out and says I'd like to play for Houston, then it's different.

Also I don't think you'll see Goran get traded.

BUT, for grins, if you did that deal (and you wouldn't, but...) with no other moves... your 2012-13 lineup would be:

PG: Kyle Lowry, Chris Duhon
    SG: Courtney Lee (re-signed), Jason Richardson, Quentin Richardson
    SF: Chase Budinger, Marcus Morris
    PF: Luis Scola, Big Baby Davis
    C: Dwight Howard

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, I think it's a bit silly or delusional to expect to dump ALL of your bad contracts in one quick swoop. No team is going to bail you out like that. A team taking back Turkoglu with Howard, yeah, perhaps. A team taking back 2 smaller "bad" contracts(say, instead of one larger contract, that of Turkoglu) with Howard, yeah maybe. Dumping them all at once? Good luck.

I'm not to biggest Morey supporter to say the least but hey, credit to him for not being locked up with those types of contracts and 'stuck'.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Those trades are bad for both sides, no way the Magic do it and no way the Rockets do it. Rather go after a SG and PF in free agency than this cry baby who is coming off of surgery! We don't need another potential injury and guy leaving for greener pastures. We've all seen that the word commitment doesn't mean squat in Dwight's book.

16. Carl Herrera

Adrian Wojnarowski on the Dwight Situation:

<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/yahoo sports/site/player.html#shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fvideo%2Fplayer%2Fnba%2FY_Sports_NBA%2F29428813&vid=29428813&browseCarouselUI=hide&startScreenCarouselUI=hide"></iframe></div>

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

And although the Brooklyn Nets are still considered the frontrunner, “it is not going to be a one-horse race,” the source said, listing the Mavericks, Knicks and — to a lesser degree — the Clippers and Lakers as among the destinations that would appeal to Howard.

www.cbssportsline.com

Houston was not mentioned in this article.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

So Woj dittos everyone else: Dwight is ready to leave Orlando, even with the firings.

"Dwight [will have virtually no, in fact I know he] doesn't want input into this. He's ready to be moved from Orlando. He regrets signing up for one more year and opting back in." http://t.co/pJ0Eaxij

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

God, what a child.

Oh well, he can ball.

Get r done, Murrey.

20. Carl Herrera

I am thinking Howard ends up with the Lakers.

The Nets offer was already rebuffed. They will have a chance only if they land a top 3 pick (21.6% probability).

The Mavs don't have neither the desirable trade pieces (picks and young players).

The Knicks will want to sell Chandler and Amare. Orlando will want nothing to do with Amare. Might ask for Melo+Tyson (not sure if they even want Melo, another whiner), can't see Dolan giving up on Melo.

Clippers are married to Blake Griffin and his car commercials.

If Dwight has softened his "no Lakers" position rumored from earlier, he'll sign long term with the Lakers and the Lakers will be willing to give up Bynum for him. I think Morey's play here might be to go after Gasol to facilitate the trade-- give Lakers, say, Scola and send a couple draft picks to Orlando.