1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao is the king of turnover

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wildhorse, Dec 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Actually Yao is bad on turnovers but Steve is still the King. Steve 7 turnovers and Ming 5.

:D :D :D :D :D

2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yao forces too many passes. Steve can have three men on him and Yao will still try to force a silly bounce pass to him. And whats the deal with Rudy letting Francis sit half the fourth quarter? I would much rather see Steve rest in the second or third quarter than the first 6MINUTES of the fourth.

3. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Glyyde, I did read the entire post. Sane made a statement (Yao lead the NBA in TOs in the last 7 games) without facts to back it up. Yao had 28 TOs in the last 7 games. Those numbers are bad, but did not lead the league. Kobe had 31 in last 7 games. Paul Pierrce had 30.

Yao is a fundamentally sound player, just like Duncan is. It is true that they need more games between each other before making a decision about who is a better player. But how can Duncan be LIGHTYEARS ahead of Yao if Yao schooled him and Robinson combined in their first regular season game? You cannot let anyone LIGHTYEARS behind you to school you in any game.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think this is more of a problem with the Rockets and their youth. They all force passes. This team is still very very young so they will have a lot of bad passes and forced plays.

And Yao does force things now. He hasn't let the game come to him as much. He was doing much better when he did. Perhaps this is why Rudy was trying not to push him in as the focal point of the offense so fast????

5. coolpet

coolpet Member

Yao forces too many passes, even 3 defenders on the cutter, Yao still pass. Francis forces way too many shots, even 3 defenders on him, he still shoot. :D :D :D

6. napster

napster Member

Lol, you guys are nuts, Yao is nowhere near Duncan and Kobe. Yao's a budding star, for sure, but he doesn't belong in that group.

7. YaoROY

YaoROY Member

:rolleyes:

So Yao is the knight of turnover. Not king, not queen, but knight. Sounds cool to me.

8. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

You are kidding? I admit Yao's TO is high at some nights.
    But it's mainly because of his teammates low BB IQ.
    He always likes to pass the ball to his teammates in Shanghai.
    But Jia Xiaozhong,Liu Wei,Zhang WenQi cant understand him.
    Check it out. Who is the TO king of Shanghai Sharks?Liu Wei.

9. napster

napster Member

teammates low bb iq?

Heh..interesting.

10. pchan

pchan Member

it is not surprising that yao had so many turnovers,
    didn't steve said yao is just like him?

11. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

lancet, I get u now, u are talking bout the last 7 games for those players also..... sorry, no hard feelings k? ;)

Francis does have 4 more assists than Ming.... that's besides the point..... the point is, Francis is not a passer, well...he use to be not a passer.... he seems to only start really passing this season.... gives him some time.... I think one day he will be a good passer, so does Ming.... and when the team starts to learn the art of passing and catching the ball, the TO will comes down, and we wun let TO kills us in a game anymore.....

12. wildhorse

wildhorse Member

In my opinion, it is not acceptable that you blame your teammates or colleagues when you are making mistake. Why not Kobe and Duncan conplaining O'neal and Robinson of their low BB IQ? If I were Yao, I would pay more attention to control the strength and direction of my hands when I am ready to pass ball.

13. zenkle

zenkle Member

Your viewpoint is right on the money!

14. m00154

m00154 Member

Kobe is indeed blaming and complaining on his teammates right now. Obviously, he won't say they have low BB IQ, but his statements certainly carry the same meaning.

OK, that's not the main point of this thread. I think Yao's turnover will somehow maintain at 3-4 per game, but his assists/passing/shot attempt will increase by 30 - 50% as the season progresses.

15. mj230

mj230 Member

wait, he's had about two months with the rox and no training camp. if he's been in the nba for 2 yrs then maybe we can get on his case...4 TOs is not alot. when he gets some chemistry with his teammates, his assists will go up and the TOs will go down. give him a little time. nobody's perfect.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

where did this nebulous (sp?) term of basketball IQ come from? and why is yao the only player on the rockets who people say has a high basketball IQ?

17. Sane

Sane Member

lancet,

How can you bring Kobe or Pierce into this equation? I guarantee you they have more assists than Yao, BY FAR, in the past 7 games. Hell, Kobe is averaging more assists than Francis on the season.

I didn't say that it's a fact that Yao leads the league in TO's the past 7 games, but I did say it's easily possible.

Before you get out and throw names like Kobe, Kidd, and Pierce this way, check their numbers. They RUN their offenses, all of them. If they have 7 TO's, on most nights, they have 8 assists to go along with it.

How did Ming SCHOOL Duncan? If I'm not mistaken, Yao had 28 and 15, while Duncan had more than 20 points and more than 10 boards. That's not a schooling, and don't forget Robinson put a lot of defense on Yao.

Facts I got:

- 25pts, 12 rebounds for Duncan
    - Kobe has 3.9 TO's a game for the season, with 7.4 assists
    - In his last 7, Kobe has 7.57ast/game against 4.4TO's
    - If we count the same 7 game stretch as Yao, rather than the last 7 Kobe played, his assits go above 8, while his TO's remain the same
    - Kidd is 9.2asst/game (last 7) against 3.42 TO's
    - Shaq has 2.8 assists against 2.71 TO's
    - Yao has 2.57 assists against 4 TO's

Kobe and Kidd have the ball in their hands at least 2 times more than Yao. Who has better teammates, Yao or Shaq? Obviously Yao.

I'm not saying this is Yao's fault. I'm not saying Yao is a bad passer. I'm just saying that, during this tough 7 game stretch, Yao Turned the ball over much more than he should have, and maybe an improvement in this area will make our chances of winning better in the future. Mobley's shooting is just as big a reason, and having no bench help isn't great either.

18. YaoROY

YaoROY Member

Teams are starting to double Yao or sending someone to steal Yao's ball from the blind side. Yao needs to adjust. I'm sure he can.

Also, remember that opponents are gathering more and more information about the plays run for Yao. They will figure out how to deal with those plays soon (if not already). Our coaches also need to bring in more new plays that could surprise people. Otherwise the TO number is not going to go down anytime soon.

19. witchboy

witchboy New Member

Does anyone what the ******* hell u are talking about? When one thinks everybody around him is abnormal, maybe he himself is.

20. INrocket

INrocket Member

Yao would be averaging over 3 turnovers a game if he played more minutes though, but all his other stats would be up too, because of his limited pt in the beginning of the year.