1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

J. Oneal or C. Webb?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by moomoo, Dec 21, 2002.

Tags:
?

Would you rather have C. Webb or J. Oneal?

1. Chris Webber

35 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Jermaine Oneal

25 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. moomoo

moomoo Member

If you had to choose between these two, who would you rather have?

We've seen both Webber and Oneal each twice (haven't we?) this year when they played the Rockets. Personally, I have been totally UNimpressed with C. Webb's game. I admit I haven't actually watched every minute he's been on the floor in the games he's played against the Rockets, and have seen none of his games this year against any other team besides the Rocks. Same goes for Oneal.

But from what I've seen, C Webb is basically a jump shooter. He just doesn't seem quick to me at all. His footwork inside didn't impress me at all really. Case in point: when he laid an egg trying to humiliate Yao one-on-one. Also his play at the beginning of last years WCF, though he did turn it around after the first game, where he was criticised heavily by Walton for having "no explosion,", and rightfully so IMO.

Oneal on the other hand, is explosive. He just seems to be more of dynamic power forward to me. And when he had a chance to take Yao one-on-one, he used his excellent, cat quick post footwork to make a move inside, draw a foul from Yao, and get to the FT line.

Am I too fixated on comparing them based on how they went one-on-one against Yao? Maybe so, but is C Webb more than just a jumpshooter? Like I said, all I've seen out of him this year has not impressed me.

I would rather have J. O'neal. Am I wrong?

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

webber is a much better passer and is a good defender...i'd take c-webb just because of his passing. plus its not like he is bad playing inside...its just that he has a great jumpshot so he uses it

3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Webber now, Jermaine in about 2 or 3 years.

4. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

They're both studs but i'd have to take C-Webb. Dude is definetely one of the best passes in the league.

5. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Oneal....no question.
    -Webber is a jump-shooter that will RARELY post up.
    -He hasn't proven Jack-$h!t to me in the playoffs.
    -He's heavily overpaid.

-While Oneal hasn't proven anything in the playoffs yet, he's much younger and has a much more aggressive and arrogant manner about him.......a BIG PLUS.
    -He isn't afraid to call for the ball down the stretch.
    -He has the ability to shoot the outside shot, as well as go down low and actually post up.
    -He's younger and more athletic.

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Anyone that says O'Neal is blind.

Webber is on a different pedestal.

7. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

All Webber does is shoot the 17 ft jumper. He never posts up or takes the ball to the basket. He may have better funamental skills than O'Neal such as shooting, ball handling, and passing but O'Neal is far more important to his team and their offense.

8. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Which is why he is better.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

O'Neal definitely has the better post up game, but that is pretty much it. Despite his playoff demons, I would definitely take Webber.

10. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Fundamentals????
    I'm not saying Oneal is Duncan, but Webber and fundamentals shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Besides, Webber isn't even the most important player on that team.
    At least with Oneal, I know he won't be too P***Y to do anything down the stretch.

11. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Yes he is.

12. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I am a big J O'Neal fan. I would take O'Neal over CWebb, because O'Neal is just plan nasty on the boards and will take it on anyone in the league. He backs down from no one and will throw in down in there face. Both are great players, but I like O'Neal toughness more. On the other hand CWebb is a better team player and leader.

13. pchan

pchan Member

I think WEbber is a better player, but I will take Oneal instead.
    Cwebb just shoot on the outside wayy too much nowaday..
    he wasn't like that in WAshington.. he was much more exciting and aggressive, but he keeps having that shoulder problem.. ankle problem.. i guess that makes him change his game a little bit.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Webber for the regular season, O'Neal (or anyone else) for the playoffs.

15. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

What has O'Neal done in the playoffs that's so special? Say he's unstoppable then disappear for the final 4 games, including losing the game in OT of the final game? Oh well, everyone keep overrating O'Neal.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

am i the only one that watched the WCF last year??? all this webber never stepped up in the 4th BS over and over again. webber was there in the 4th. did anyone watch game 7. the last 5 minutes of reg. plus OT was cwebb and bibby playing a two man game and that's it. otherwise it was peja airing it out and christie attempting to shatter the backboard. unfortunately, neither bibby (he was hot with about 5 minutes left then couldn't hit anymore) nor cwebb was particularly hot at that time and that was what got them beat since no one else stepped up. also, cwebb volunteered to guard shaq after vlade fouled out with a few minutes left. saying webber didn't come to play in the 4th of that series is false. i remember after game 5 (kings won 92-91) someone in here saying cwebb almost singlehandedly cost them the game, noting his 4th quarter disappearance and ft shooting specifically. problem is cwebb had 7 points in the 4th (may not sound astronomical but the media collectively creamed itself over kobe's back to back 11 and 12 point 4th quarters against the spurs so i don't think 4 points is the difference between the HoF and costing the team the game) including a tough running layup that stemmed the tide of a lakers run with the kings down 4 and went a long way towards winning the game. as for ft's, he was 2-3 in the game, and the miss was somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd. as for the rest of the game he had 29 points, 13 boards, and shot over 50% (i can't remember if he had 6 assts that game or if it was another one). point is, it's amazing how ingrained the "cwebb doesn't perform in crunchtime" thing is, to the point that a 29 and 13 performance with plays made in the 4th is considered almost single-handedly throwing the game away.

and has anyone ever gotten so much ****-stroking out of a few good playoff games as mike bibby? dude averages 13 and 5 asts in the regular season then gets hot in the playoffs (although his percentage was not that impressive against the lakers if i remember) and is hailed as the second coming. was i happy as hell that he started nailing stuff and was stepping up late, definitely. i hate the lakers, anything that helps them lose is a good thing to me. but damn, bibby the all-world point guard didn't even lead the team in asts in the lakers series. guess who did. that horrible basketball player cwebb. at least through game 5, he had a 1 asts per game lead, nbc didn't show it after games 6 and 7 and i don't know how to look that stuff up easily and my computer at home is slow. webber led the team in scoring, controlled the defensive glass as far as sactown is concerned and was passing like crazy (i believe he was at 22/12/5 after five games). how can it be said he was not their best player. even if bibby stepped up more, so what. everyone knows kobe is who steps up for the lakers in the 4th and takes all the big shots, yet no one would dare say he is better than shaq. but for some reason, webber is not allowed to not have the greatest 4th quarters ever (although definitely avg to above avg 4th quarters) and still be better than bibby. it's amazing.

cwebb over j o'neal anyday (and i really like o'neal which is why i drafted him on my fantasy team).

17. Fichte

Fichte Member

Jermaine O'Neal has game, but what everybody is really saying here is he got game based on "potential." And we all know that the word 'potential' is a curse in so many ways.

Chris Webber, on the other hand, is a power forward who may have had his better days behind him, at least stats wise, but his floor game, fundamental skills, and presence is at a whole 'nother level than O'Neal. Now. Not maybe some time down the road.

O'Neal is an upcoming player, pending his knee problems, who will cash on the free agency market next summer, possibly a max contract. He uses his post up game much more often than Webb because that is his strength, not the j, and the Pacers are built around that. He would probably struggle in the Kings' complex offense, given his atrocious passing abilities. O'Neal's board work and defense does not match his offensive game, and until O'Neal averages 14 over a few seasons, his boardwork does not match C-Webb's. Here we have to cite the dreaded word "potential," and leave it at that. O'Neal is a darned good 4man right now, and is potentially better than any other 4man in the league.

However, Chris Webber has had a few years to overcome his ankle troubles, which has a lot to do with sapping his mobility and explosion, and in doing so he might have settled in the groove of that perimeter game folks here are complaining about. Put C-Webb on an eastern team and he'll be starting over O'Neal on the East All-Star team, and earn more votes for the All-NBA squad.

Conclusion: Potential does not count against historical evidence. Ergo, Chris Webber is the superior power forward.

~Radical Subjectivity~

18. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

These are two different type players. Webber is at the top of his game right now. I think he is probably playing the best backetball of his career. He is an elite passer and shooter, and has intuition. He plays well with a big man in Vlade Divac, and I think his game would be compromised without Divac in the middle.

I do not personally like Chris Webber, as I think he strung the Rockets along without ever the slightest intention of playing for us. He then complained to the media about Steve Francis and Cuttino misleading him about the Rockets wanting him. I am glad the Rockets did not pursue him further than they did. Webber wanted to be treated like a PrimaDonna - being courted as a free agent. It indicates potential chemistry problems.

Webber is an excellent player- all star no doubt.

To pick which I would want on the Rockets? I would choose Jermain O'Neal. I think he would complement Yao Ming's finesse game with a brutal- attack the boards- physical game. He is much younger than Webber, and would have time to adapt his game to Yao's strengths.

I think Yao Ming is proving to be a powerful- mentally deep player with tremendous dicipline and control. He is the center of the Rockets in more ways thatn one. Anyone we add should complement this power. O'Neal would enhance it possibly, Webber I am afraid would not.......