1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My West All-Star Line-up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-Up, Dec 20, 2002.

1. D-Up

D-Up Member

Franchise and Nash: Guards

Nowitski and KG: Forwards

Yao Ming: Center

Kobe, C-Webb and Duncan off the bench.

The East would not stand a chance.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Wrong Forum. Please put this in the NBA forum next time.

3. walterw

walterw Member

What about this?

PG: Franchise
    SG: KG
    SF: Yao Ming
    PF: Duncan
    Center: Shaq

It would be a heck of awesome lineup. What do you think?

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

7'5 guys for the most part dont play SF.

Sorry

5. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Francis
    Bryant
    Nowitski
    Duncan
    Yao (sorry Shaq) :)

6. acizlan

acizlan Member

dont vote for nash! if u vote for him, its like u never voted for franchies!

7. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

As much as everyone on this board would like to see Ming be the starting center, it just isnt going to happen. Shaq is the man and will be the starting center, not Ming. So stop throwing out your biased opinonated starting lineups when everyone really knows that Shaq is gonna start.

Enough said.

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

These guys are just saying what they 'want' to be the starting lineup? What's wrong with it? Do they have the right to haev their own opinions?

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I guess the Associated Press is biased too, then, since the title of their article is "Rockets' Yao closing in on All-Star selection". :rolleyes:

In fact, I also saw David Aldridge on PTI predicting Yao would start. The difference between Shaq and Yao (480k to 471k) is by far the smallest between any two players. It's almost identical, and Yao has a lot more room to grow. Shaq's potential is maxed out. If anything, his perception will go down from his team sucking. Yao is doing nothing but gaining respect in America, and has a much greater audience overseas.

Everyone who has a clue about the size of a fan base knows that Yao is gonna start.

Enough said.

:rolleyes:

10. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

Hey RocketForever, I dont in one place see the word WANT. This is their prediction and who they think will be the starters. Yes they have the right to their opinons, but when their opinons are so outrageous enough to start Ming over Shaq, it's time to call a technical foul persay.

If Ming starts the All-star game I will not watch it, or any other NBA game as long as I am alive. It will be a disgrace to basketball if Ming starts over Shaq. Shaq is the best player in the league, and he wouldn't be starting the all-star game???

11. The Cat

Umm... Yao starting over Shaq wouldn't be anywhere near the disgrace of the following:

-- Grant Hill and Alonzo Mourning voted in without playing in a single game (2001)
    -- Michael Jordan voted in over Tracy McGrady (2002)
    -- Vince Carter and Grant Hill leading the East in All-Star voting (2003)
    -- Kobe Bryant starting as a 15 ppg sixth man on his own team! (1997)

Yao wouldn't be the first player to "undeservedly" walk into it. If you don't like the idea of undeserving All-Stars starting, I suggest you go to a different sport. When the league makes it fan voting, it becomes who the fans want to see, not who is the best. If the league wanted strictly the best, they would do like the NFL and give the fans a third, players a third, and coaches a third of the vote.

Also, since Yao got consistent minutes, he's averaged about 18 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game. I'd say that, and leading your team to wins, is nearly as impressive as 26 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, and leading your team to Lebron James.

12. RocketForever

Ok guys, it's about time to make yourself clear. So is it your prediction or just what you want to be the starting lineup?

13. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

Shaq has led his team to 3 NBA championships and is the best player in the league. When you talk about all those others undeserving, they weren't taking the spot of the best player in the league. Ming in a few years could be a potential All-star starter (legitimately). The only reason he is even close this year is because there are no other Western Conference Centers worth mentioning except for Shaq and Ming. PLus Ming has everyone in Houston all over his knob, along with China. Otherwise its a given O'neal.

Deserving - O'neal
    Undeserving - Ming

14. The Cat

I don't care if Shaq has 20 titles, the All-Star game is about this season only.

And, if Shaq were really the best player, you'd think the Lakers could win a freaking game now and then, wouldn't you?

15. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

Alex Rodriguez is arguably the best player in Major League Baseball. Look where the Rangers are. The Lakers are just in a funk now, but Shaq is still the best player in basketball.

Now get your mouth off of Yao's you know what.

16. The Cat

Ah, nothing like a nice, civil debate.

Basketball is so much more of an individual sport than baseball that it isn't even funny. You're looking at at least 12 people that affect the outcome of a baseball game. For basketball, it's usually about 7 or 8.

Also, Alex Rodriguez doesn't have a Kobe Bryant type player alongside him. If you put another superstar on the Rangers, I bet you they win some more games.

The Lakers have "been in a funk" all season. Can you make the argument that Shaq is the best player? Not by this season alone. There are others with the numbers that he has, and many, many more wins.

17. RocketForever

Take a look at the title of this thread which is "My West All-Star Line-up". It is what the guy wants to be the West All-Star Line-up and what he is going to vote for. What's the problem?

18. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

There are no centers in the NBA that are averaging 25.8 points, 10.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.0 steals, 2.0 blocks per game.

NONE

19. The Cat

There are other positions besides center in the NBA.

Duncan = 21.5 points, 12.1 reb, 3.4 asst, 2.9 blocks, many more wins
    Kevin Garnett = 21.1 pts, 13.3 reb, 5.8 asst, more wins
    McGrady = 29.3 pts, 6.3 reb, 49 asst, more wins

Those three players (and there are probably others, those were just three of the top of my head) that are having very similar seasons to Shaq statistically, and their teams are winning many more games, despite having less talent around them than Shaq does.

If this year's Shaq is the best player in the NBA, we're in a sad, sad league.

20. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

We were talking about the best center and I believe throughout Shaq's career he has emerged into the best player in basketball. Mcgrady doesnt have 3 rings. Duncan doesnt have three rings. Garnett doesnt have 3 rings. Shaq produces, and turns it up a notch once the playoffs roll around.

Shaq is the best player at the weakest position in the NBA, so therefore I believe he is the best player in the NBA.

This is all I am saying about this topic. Shaq should be the starter, and all us Rockets fans hate it, but it should be a reality to us. Shaq is just better than Ming...this year and pretty much every year until Shaq hits the downside in his career.