1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Lesson in Democracy for the Chinese

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thedreamisover, Dec 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedreamisover

Memo to China:
    I understand that ya'll live in a country that is ruled by a single-party, totalitarian government, and it is possible that your general populace is unfamiliar with the concept of "voting". In a democracy the will of the people is voiced by what we call a "vote". To get a taste of this exercise in freedom please visit http://www.nba.com/allstar2003/AS_Ballot.html
    and vote for the NBA all-star team. Unlike in a democracy, where one person gets one vote, you can vote for your favorite NBA players once every 24 hours! Feel the liberation that every human deserves by voting for Yao Ming again and again. If you use the power of the people to elevate your countryman to NBA all-star status maybe oneday, you too can elect your own leaders! The revolution begins...
    -One of the People

2. mancarcat

mancarcat Member

shxt! who the hell you think you are?!
    China is the most safe and peaceful country in the world. 911 will never NEVER happen in China, people won't be shot in street in China.
    Look at you, poor guy, look at the republic and the demo party in US, what do they do? Is there any difference betw the two?
    GO China!
    Go ROX.
    Go, Yaoming.

3. PSU

PSU Member

this is not a politics forum. please lock the thread!

4. Skip To My Loom

Geez, calm down dude.

I thought the post was pretty funny.

5. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Can of worms! Can of Worms!! :rolleyes:

6. Shanghai_noon

Shanghai_noon Member

thedreamisover:

You are most hopeless idiot I ever seen in this houston board

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He was trying to make a joke, but it was not very clever.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I see the first post oozing with sarcasm and humor. Maybe the guy should put up some smileys the next time. Mancarcat, you're either too over sensitive, or you just don't understand the humor...chill man.

All thedreamisover said about China is that it is not a democracy and is unfamiliar with voting. He's not trying to be insulting, in my opinion.

You come back dissing the US with 911, being shot in the street, just chill man.

Besides, this whole post was about voting for Yao Ming for the all star game, not about politics. Also, don't forget to vote for Franchise and Mobley.

9. feishen

feishen Member

Ignorant.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Oooh!

I totally blew my chance to use my recently acquired Chinese-to-English insults.

To all you newbies who are too oversensative and messing up the BBS:

Y'all are worse than an illiterate widow...and dumber than turtle's egg. ;)

Seriously,
    Vote for Yao. Vote for Francis. Go Rockets. They are on a roll!

11. heech

heech Contributing Member

You guys don't understand how sensitive of a point this is for the Chinese. It's part of a larger pattern of a patronizing/condescending attitude that'd get you a punch in the nose from any Chinese cab driver.

I got the point the guy was trying to be funny (emphasis on trying), but my only take-away is that he's ignorant and offensive. This post is about as funny as joking with Palestinians nationalists about suicide-bombers.

Lock the thread, or expect more Chinese posters to weigh in in this thread with expletives.

- heech, in Hubei for another day. -

12. dwang8

dwang8 Member

A lesson for the funny man who started this thread, Chinese people will vote when and if they feel like it Yao Ming deserve a vote. I know you are a big Ming fan, and you feel desperately for him to be able to start in the all star game, but you got to understand that not all the people have the freetime or like Yao Ming that much to go online and vote. You don't need to coerce people into voting for Yao Ming, and don't you think politics is a nasty topic to bring up when we should all just be enjoying basketball? By the way, in case you haven't figured it out, voting is a basic form of human interaction, that's how a group of friends end up deciding what to do on a saturday, and that's universal my friend.

13. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

No democracy in china does not mean chinese dont know what's demoncracy. No direct election of presidency in china doesnt mean chinese dont know how to vote.

Thanks for your inspiring and eduatcating lesson:rolleyes:

14. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

I never did quite understand why turtle's eggs is so bad but Kim, you may have crossed the line with that comment. For our China friends out there, just call Kim a "bizaatch" :D How do you say illiterate widow in Chinese?

I know dreamisover tried to be funny but he just came across as arrogant. Besides racism, never talk about political systems in the BBS!!!

15. lavarock

lavarock Contributing Member

Hehe, turtles egg is like... jackass.. why is jackass bad?:D

16. ccc

ccc Member

I guess some guys are just too sensitive. maybe he knows little of china and some of the things he said were off the topic, but he was trying to get people voting for Yao in what he thought a funny way. So dont bash him.

Some :D would help though.

17. myputersux

myputersux Member

now, thats not nice sayin stuff like that

and

political arguments and discusssions are definitely alowed on the bbs.

Just not in this particular forum. Go to The Hangout for all the politics your heart could desire.

btw...tasteless way to get your point across.
    If that was your attempt at comedy, don't quit your day job.

18. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Yeah, I think we have a little cultural misunderstanding here. I read the post as intended to be purely light-hearted humour, but clearly it was understood in a very different way. I think he was just teasing, and trying to encourage our Chinese members to vote for Yao and Francis. He should have used some :D:D:D at the very least, though, and perhaps better judgment about sensitive topics.

19. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

i think the reason many chinese posters found this offensive was the attitude of the post. the poster was trying to be witty but also was trying to insult people in a very subtle and "college-boy" type of way. also, i think it was another subtle message indicating the poster's unhappiness with the number of new chinese posters on this board, much like kim's.

put it this way: when you take jabs at someone's country/political system, you are basically insulting their nationality also. it would be like europeans implying that our government was idiotic and that our people are mindless sheep--i'm sure a lot of people on this board would react violently to that. well, that's pretty much what the poster was implying in a half-joking manner. so think before you post. or if you are intentionally trying to be offensive, try showing some courage and do it in public rather than in an internet forum.

regarding this forum--as i understand it, this forum is the effort of one or more die-hard rocket fans who are responsible for the costs of maintaining this site. as for everyone else who does not contribute financially, you really shouldn't ever complain about the quality of the posters or the forum in general. it is free so no one should act as if they own the board. nor should anyone act as if they have more intelligence because they have posted more frequently. that's ridiculous. if you don't like the current state of the forum, don't use it.

specifically to the poster--i know you were trying to be tongue in cheek and witty, but in reality it just sounded smug and "college boy" like. its embarassing to see insults that are designed to be barely hidden by smart-ass humor--show some balls, dude.

anyway, apologies for posting about non-basketball related items.

20. spaldingtattos

Some body please close this thread quick. It's going no where.

P.S. A little lesson on history. Back in 2000, I voted for a man that had over 50% of all popular vote and guess what that guy still lost that election. I suppose those 50%+ votes don't amount to much in our democratic system. What's the difference between our political system vs the commies? Please don't answer this question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.