1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Digital SLR Camera?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by T_Man, Apr 26, 2012.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Oh, didn't see his post about sports action.
    In that case DSLR is the way to go.
    Nothing can match the high shutter speed of a DSLR.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

If the kids sports is basketball, getting the fastest lens that you can is important. I am forced to use my old Minolta 50mm f1.7 prime lens which is the only lens I have that is fast enough in most of the darker gyms my daughter plays in. That forces me to sit at the baseline, and only take shots on my side of half court.

Doing it all over, I'd get a basic Nikon or Canon body and break the bank on a fast zoom.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

oooh, wrong answer. I see you working though, don't give up. :)

Or just get a Nikon D800.

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Haha. Wait, what? Macro photography is one of hardest to master technically. And don't tell me you think him zooming in with the 50-200 means macro.

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Having used both, I can confidently say you won't notice any difference. And he did say "beginner" - which is a huge strength of the nex.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Having used both, YOU may not notice any difference, but there is a world of technical difference. Mostly with focus on small, running kids, and a large optical viewfinder that works in sunlight.

Also Sony sucks.

7. tested911

tested911 Member

Yonkers you do realize the OP is looking for a "Entry" level camera and doesn't want to spend a lot of money... Every single kit zoom lens has an aperture range at his price range.

OP if I'm wrong you can always go with a 70-200 mm 2.8 IS v2.. It's great and that is what I use... :grin:

8. mclawson

mclawson Member

The NEX is good, but action shots are not going to be in its wheelhouse, really. A good and cheap entry level DSLR will allow you to shoot action shots under conditions the NEX wouldn't excel in. Contrast detection autofocus (while getting better in some of the newer mirrorless bodies) can't match phase detection for speed and accuracy, especially when coupled with a fast lens.

If you do go with a DSLR, get the fastest lens you can afford in the focal length(s) that is appropriate for your needs. Primes (fixed focal length) will typically be faster (larger maximum aperture) than zoom lenses, but they can be limiting for some people. I like them because they can force you to think about your shot a bit more and I do love fast lenses and the out of focus blur they can give you.

Also, make sure you read Peterson's Understanding Exposure a few times. There are some odd statements in this thread that that book can clear up for you in simple terms. I can't recommend it enough for a neophyte. It will help you understand how depth of field works with respect to aperture (larger opening = more light in = faster shutter speed = smaller plane in focus) as well as ISO (light sensitivity) and how those three parameters affect each other. Knowing how that triangle works is quite important when it comes to getting the shot you want.

9. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I'm gonna go with what a lot of people have said already and recommend the T2i. I love mine. Don't get the kit lens though... Just spring for something better from the beginning.

10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

This. I bought a 24-105 f/4 and love it.

11. RedRedemption

Its a lot easier to line shots up compared to shooting something that is rapidly moving, imo.

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

OK, I guess you mean macro photography of little toy soldiers or something. Most macro photography refers more to insects, etc... which are highly rapidly moving with a tiny, tiny depth of field.

#32 Yonkers, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Sorry for the late response.. basically action shots of the kids in their multiple sports and when we go on vacation.

T_Man

14. T_Man

15. RedRedemption

Macro photography of stationary objects. :p
    I don't know how people can do the ones with insects haha.

16. T_Man

Hey rhadamanthus, you are correct on the beginner part...

Not looking for something that is real difficult to use at this time and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars right now and not looking to be a professional any time soon... Hell I just stopped using the 35mm out of the package...

With so many cameras out there and with them changing on a yearly basis, I thought I would ask the Clutch Crew for some help or advice...

The kids are in Football, basketball, baseball and Tae Kwon Do.. So trying to capture as many memories as possible.

Thanks,

T_Man

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

You're welcome. I have an alpha and a nex. The nex is easier to use and easier to carry around. I pretty much take nothing but shots of my kids, and I have not had any major complaints with the nex. Heck, if it's not taking good shots of the football game, flip to video mode and record in 1080.

And don't worry about Casey, he's always like this.

EDIT: If you want to know anything else, PM me through the board.

#37 rhadamanthus, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  18. kona-

kona- Member

I have had a Nikon D60 and Canon t2i. Both a great cameras. But I would go with the T2i.

Have fun and practice! Its not easy!

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Sony Alpha-55. Buy it.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is this a sexy analogy?