1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SAC BEE] Tyreke on the block

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsMAN!, Apr 23, 2012.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I wouldn't sell him short, either (meaning that I was agreeing with you) and not the majority of posters.

2. wizard

wizard Member

Can't say it any better..

3. Asian Sensation

Well done.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've said it many time before. The Kings should have traded Tyreke before everyone knew he's fool's gold. No team will go anywhere with him being the alpha dog.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd take Lowry over Tyreke any time.

How many sceneries has Randolph changed before he finally got it? Steve Francis never got it before he lost his athletic abilities, and I think Francis was a better talent than Evans.

6. Dei

Dei Member

I'd trade Martin but I realized Martin's contract is a huge expiring next year.

7. wizard

wizard Member

Who said he was gonna fill in the alpha dog role? Checking the salary cap structure wed still have room for a max player.. who is supposed to take that role...

8. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

i actually woundnt mind having tyreke. they had him playing pg alot of the time and obviously i think hes better at the 2. but when the kings played him at the 2 he would have a suck pg play next to him. i think he would do well playing with dragic or lowry. but it would mean less playing time for lee..... and im a lee fan sooooo idk

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You don't think that's what he thinks he is? Evans is very much like Francis. If you make him the first option, he's not going to carry you very far. If you make him a second option, (1) he won't accept it and (2) you are going to reduce his game. JVG tried to make Francis a second option player after we got Yao. Look how it turned out.

Players like that are poison to team building because they are not good enough to carry a team as the centerpiece but yet their style of play cannot be anything other than the centerpiece of the team.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We simply don't know what he thinks.

It's likely he thought like that because the Kings told him since day one that he was and when another coach took that away from him you get the usual response from a young player that expects to dominate in any league.

They spoiled him from day one and thats what happens. Mchale may be able to ground him and he'll be on a team that cares about winning instead of personal stats.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You mean like getting the kind of prospect that was a #2 pick of the 2009 draft?

That said, I agree with you...

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You're right about Thabeet but he has never had success at the NBA. Plus he never even had the confidence in himself where with Evans you can assume he has TOO much confidence.

Thabeet was also drafted on size really and not many thought he'd become much more than a solid shot blocker...but the center position in the NBA is so bad that teams will reach on a guy if he's 7'0 and they think he can walk and chew gum at the same time and teams will take a chance on a guy like Thabeet over and over because of his length and size.

I just think Tyreke needs to be on a team where he respects and trusts those around him (like in college) and a change of scenery.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'd take Lowry or Dragic over Reke.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Tyreke was a ball hog but he is no longer a ball hog. If anyone think he is a ballhog then they haven't watched much of the Kings this year.

That said his value has gotten worse.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

True statement, but ballhogging allowed him to inflate his rookie stats to the magical 20/5/5 line that so many can't get out of their minds. People have either forgotten or don't realize how the Kings dedicated the last part his rookie season to pumping Reke's numbers. It was disgraceful. I say that as someone who was on his bandwagon early on.

This season, Reke's place in the NBA seems clearer: As a 6th/7th man, scorer off the bench. He doesn't play intelligent and cohesive basketball and his talent doesn't make up for that. What is really disappointing is how Reke's skills haven't improved, specifically shooting and using his left hand. He's just the same guy with more experience. You'd think spending a few weeks every summer with WB and Rose might rub off.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

I think Tyreke needs a change of scenery although I still have doubts that will cure him. One thing is for sure Sacramento doesn't know what to do with him. So far in his young career he has played PG,SG, and SF, he definitely is not capable of playing PG or SF on a consistent basis.

I don't know how his work ethic is but his brothers comments about Coach Cal and Tyreke were alarming. They had the never to blame Coach Cal for Evans jumpshot being terrible. They said that Cal encouraged him not to shoot in college, which I don't get why they would complain about that.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

I meant to say they had the nerve to blame Coach Cal

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, Keith Smart has been a huge change of scenery and a positive influence on Reke. He took him off the pedestal and brought him down to the ground with everyone else on the team. (Same treatment for Jimmer). I think the Reke we've seen this year is the Reke he would have been on another team if traded before the season. He's been forced to play in an offense that doesn't defer to him and actually allows other players to be featured (like Cousins and Thornton). This experience should speed Reke's adjustment to his new team. Of course, if his new team makes the mistake of thinking they can make him a feature player again to recapture the glory of his rookie stats, oh well.

I remember reading an article last year where (I think) his father blamed Westphal or Cal for why Reke couldn't shoot. According to this family member, he was a great shooter in high school. Whatever! :rolleyes:

Reke's only possible full-time position is SG, but he can't shoot. Until he fixes that and plays more intelligently, his role in the NBA is a 16/5/5 guy on a pathetic team or perhaps 12/4/4 on a good one.

19. teebone21

teebone21 Member

all he needs is a consistant jumpshot and he would be one of the best in the league

20. AFS

AFS Member

I'd take a shot on him. He isn't ideal, but who are we kidding? Stars and Superstars are a commodity in this league and teams that have them rarely give them up. Tyreke isn't either yet, but he has a higher ceiling than anyone on our roster. It's time to take risks. If nothing else, having Tyreke as a starting guard will finally allow us to tank.