1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SAC BEE] Tyreke on the block

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsMAN!, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Players that play the way Evans does aren't usually conducive to winning basketball games, unless they are in a 6th man role or exceptionally talented, like a Dwayne Wade.

2. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

^this. Plus they will probably have the same or higher bball iq. 20-5-5!! yay!!

3. what

what Member

Tyreke came out of the tutelage of John Calipari's dribble drive system. This is the same dribble drive system that derrick rose came out of and is still using in Chicago. Once he got to the nba, the lowly kings encouraged him to do the same. So, I think that Tyreke, is more a product of his environment than anything else.

He needs a coach to teach him how to play within the system and he is going to have to unlearn some of his bad habits which might take years to unlearn. It is sad because I think that Tyreke is talented, but extremely undisciplined.

Plus, tyreke hasn't helped himself much by not developing a reliable jump shot.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That just reinforces the need to stay away. I don't think anyone here would want to build around a prime Steve Francis, let alone a lesser version.

5. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

No way Martin's going back there.

and 2 draft picks in the 2012 draft plus Lowry to begin a MAJOR reclamation project after the MalOOPS bros. screw the town by not wanting the current area deal?

They already have Cousins, and they can build around him almost INSTANTLY!

Lowry
    Thornton
    T-Will/Pick #14
    Pick #17/Hayes
    Cousins

Jason Thompson & Donte Greene are probably gone. The Jimmer Experience has failed so far, worse than Evans. I think Houston should make the trade. I think Sac should accept, unless they can get a better offer. But who else is now has 2 draft picks to offer, AND are willing to offer them?

6. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

No way we are necessarily building around Evans, we're building around Dragic/Parsons I say. We're unplugging Lee and his offense and inserting someone that can be their own scoring option. We already have a dribble drive offense that was mentioned above in place with Dragic. Evans has the size to take the punishment and FINISH (or at least draw fouls on the way to the basket). Something Martin did when he was effective, and Evans is certainly capable of.

7. Asian Sensation

LOL at all the people complaining about Tyreke Evans. We need major changes and I'd be willing to take a gamble on a player like Evans. Ball hog or not he's better than any player on our current roster.

8. Pete the Cheat

if we had an established alpha dog to set Tyreke striaght when he he starts going Franchise mode it would be one thing...but we don't.

we are a team full of role players, and it would be more of the same story for Tyreke...

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think Lowry is an Alpha Dog. He commands respect from players on this team and others. He has no fear.

10. Asian Sensation

Same thing was said about Zach Randolph.

Sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery or find the right fit. The fact is the talent is there with Evans. He has proven that he can be a 20-5-5 player for more than a season or half a season.

Besides, it's not like Tyreke's value is super high so it's more the reason to take a chance on him. Under normal circumstances it would be considered a Medium risk high reward situation but considering our mediocrity and recent collapse we need major overhaul. I'd consider Evans a low risk high reward opportunity considering we can't be any worse than what we've been the last 3 years.

I'm sick of just missing the playoffs and the #14 pick.

Like I said I find it truly funny that people say Evans is a ball hog and that he can't win games when the fact of the matter is we can't win games with our current set of "assests" so what gives?

1 person likes this.
  11. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Rockets need an injection of athleticism in their team. Athletic Centers Forwards and Guards who can shoot seem to be the trend nowadays. Every team has them. But not the Rockets. Our most athletic guy in this team is Chase Budinger or Courtney Lee or Parsons.

12. wizard

wizard Member

Obviously you want to build around a max or close to max level player ala "Alpha Dog"...but what available alpha dog is even available without treading water again for the 4th dam year...the team needs changes..we can still can Evans who is very young and has one of the higher ceilings than anyone on this team..not to mention still allow us salary flexibility... we can still be on the lookout for this "Alpha Dog" with this type of move..

13. wizard

wizard Member

Very true... when I read comments on are we overvaluing Tyreke Evans..K Martin and Scola makes more than twice as much but are they really twice the better player or impact than T Evans...if anything we are overvaluing our own players...time for a change

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

WHY is this accomplishment such a big deal? Why is it? Sure, only a few people have done it - but one of those people was the Franchise. And Evans did it because the Kings marketing made it all about him as opposed to the team, and it was clear that the Kings at the end of the season valued Evan making that statistical benchmark over well, winning games. I will NEVER forget that game against us where he secured that stupid stat, which was a flat disgrace to the Kings.

He may be a better individual player than anyone on the Rockets, but so was T-Will. As an overall basketball player, I'd pretty much take all of our wings and point guards over Evans with the exception of Morris, Boykins, and Budinger.

Dragic/Evans/Parsons? Really? And who's going to shoot the ball there? You've got one guy who can do it okay (dragic), one who's not that good but can improve, and one who has actually regressed shooting-wise over his three seasons.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

By what measure? He's really not.

But even if he was - isn't this what people are complaining about? The Rockets have been excellent at upgradign their roster in small increments, which keeps them in 9th seed mediocrity.

Look at Kevin Martin, he was easily better than any player on the *active* roster when acquired. But now they are stuck with him.

I don't even know if Evans is an upgrade over courtney Lee, but if he is, he's not really enough of one to be worth the effort.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, answer me this:

What are the major differences between Tyreke Evans and Terrence Williams?

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

When Evans drives to the basket he make the shot or gets fouled.

When Williams drives to the basket he misses a layup or passes the ball to the other team.

18. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Terrence is a better shooter, but a much, much worse finisher in the lane. That was the biggest problem I had with him while he was here - he could get in the paint easily, but had no idea what to do when he got there.

19. wizard

wizard Member

Why is this even a debate? You got three above average players who are on the upside... with the salary cap you can still add a guy you can build around (max level)....assuming you take Kmart off the roster..which is looks to be sooner than later...

20. Asian Sensation

I love me some Courtney Lee but his shortcomings on the offensive end are undeniable. I think a combo of Evans/Lee would co-exist and they would feed well off of each other.

The Kevin Martin expirement looks like a bust today but a couple points in regards to him. He was brought here to be paired with Yao. I was really excited when we acquired him because I firmly believe Martin would've flourished with us if Yao never retired and likewise for Yao. Even with Yao out last year Martin still played at a very high level and was considered a top 5 SG in the league. The only reason why we are *stuck* with Martin is for 2 reasons. Stern killed the deal but we really killed his value by holding on to him. We should've dumped him when we got rid of Adelman and it was only a matter of time before Martin got injured.

Anyway's back on topic. Evans is better than any player on our roster by the measure that he actually looks for his own shot, can create his own shot and he can be a go to guy down the stretch. 3 things we surely could've used in our closing stretch.