1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Healthcare Professionals and Students Roll Call

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Medicine N Music, Apr 19, 2012.

1. plates300

plates300 Member

starting my BSN program at UTHSC in the fall. anyone here go there?

2. moose

moose Member

I agree with SuperBeeKay. Kaplan is a waste of time. Dr. Collins is the way to go. I also purchased the 4 official practice exams from the PCAT website.

3. itony

itony Member

300$ for their study material jesus! Off the assumption that you used Collins. Do you still have the material? I wouldn't mind purchasing some used material...

4. moose

moose Member

I'll have to dig it out of my closet. I think I have the 2010 version.

5. moose

moose Member

Is this the accelerated nursing program in San Antonio? I have a friend who is going there.

6. omair

omair Contributing Member

Just graduated medical school from Ross University in the Caribbean. If you guys have any questions about it let me know.

Staring residency this summer, intern year in Ohio and Physical Medicine and rehab in Syracuse.

1 person likes this.
  7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

thats why we are both at UTCOP

8. plates300

plates300 Member

sorry forgot to mention. this is in the med center in houston and it's just the regular BSN program.

9. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

Don't they have a vet school?

10. omair

omair Contributing Member

Yea they have a vet school. I think its on the island of St. Kitts.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

if you wanna do respiratory, go to UTMB in galveston (if you're from the area)...they have a track where once you finish that, you can interview for PA school. They take at least 2 people every year from the respiratory program.

I wanted to get a bachelor's in 2 years, and did the respiratory program at UTMB. it's a hell of a school and really well respected when you're in the job market. The pay is good (considering you're coming right out of 2 year school, and it's hard to find jobs these days). i'm headed to PA at UTMB school next year.

But, if you're thinking about respiratory, DO NOT go to a community college. Everyone is looking for a Bachelor's these days

#71 Nice Rollin, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  12. Crudder

Crudder Member

Curious question for all the med. school related posters. For Texas, I read that most of the Texas schools are required to accept 90% of Texas residents. I'm guessing applying there from Cali is essentially a waste of time and money then? I think living in Texas would be awesome but conveying that as a non-resident is obviously an issue.

13. moose

moose Member

My friend from CA was accepted to UTMB medical school. I'm not sure what his stats were, but he'll tell you it wouldn't be a waste of time.

14. moose

moose Member

Sweet! What year are you?

15. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

It is true that the vast majority of acceptances must be from Texas but that shouldn't stop you from applying. A ton of people here at UTH are non residents, and whenever possible you are given a "scholarship" so that your tuition comes out to that of a Texas residents tuition. I assure you it isn't a waste of time, the schools here are well worth the effort.

16. itony

itony Member

Yes please and if you happen to have any material either, Super, let me know.

Just to vent on the side: Man! I decided to be a pharm tech so I could put that on my app before the upcoming cycle and it's taking freaking forever. 3 weeks to get cPHT certificate(after studying and passing) and like another 3 weeks to get texas certified, how dumb

17. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Lol another one here.

18. xishi

xishi Member

The thing is especially coming from california, the competition there is so tough that you actually have a better chance applying as a non resident to tx schools than as a resident in ca.

my info:
    undergrad UT austin
    med school UTHSC San Antonio
    Currently 2nd year resident in Urology

19. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I just finished step 1 and starting 3rd year at MGH next week.
    I'm at Harvard Medical School and went to Harvard as an undergrad.

If anyone wants Step 1 study tips, I'd be happy to help.

20. HombreDeHierro

so how many med students are amphetamine users?