1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am convinced the Rockets are trying to tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Apr 22, 2012.

1. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

I don't want to make this about your reading comprehension skills, or lack thereof but....

* Stephen A. Smith via 1050 AM in New York: "As I told you a little bit earlier in the hour, I have some news to report about your New York Knicks. The Orlando Magic, I will preface my statement by telling you that they have categorically denied this, but my sources tell me that they have inquired about Tyson Chandler and Amare Stoudemire going to Orlando for Dwight Howard. Let me confess to you that I'm torn. From a basketball standpoint, it would seem you do that trade in a heartbeat. You don't teach seven-feet and you don't teach the dominance and the skills that the best big man in the game, Dwight Howard, has. But I like Tyson Chandler. I like the fact that he rebounds and defends."

It should be noted that this is not the first report of a Howard-Stoudemire swap. Two weeks ago, former NBA player Donny Marshall reported that the Magic and Knicks had opened talks that would send Amare to Orlando for D12.

2. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Look, this isn't even about who made the inquiry. This deal was a legitimate deal that was on the table. ESPN, Yahoo Sports, SportingNews, and just about every credible news source out there had reported this potential deal. I'm actually surprised you DIDN'T hear about this.

3. HTownAllDay

HTownAllDay Member

I was satisfied with just passively reading on clutchfans until I saw this post. I bet the realist also believes 911 was a conspiracy started by Bush. Get over it, we tried to win games, we tried to make the playoffs, and we just weren't good enough. There is an absolute ZERO

4. HTownAllDay

HTownAllDay Member

WOW i bet therealist is also one of those that believes 911 was a conspiracy by GWB as well. Get over it, we weren't good enough, we tried to win and it just didn't happen. I guarantee there is nothing close to a deal with Otis Smith. Get over your pipe dreams.

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I would agree if you considering the Rockets position if there was no background or history on the situation.

Fact, is though that no Superstar is has shown TRUE willingness to come to Houston. The best free agent to truly consider the Rockets has been Nene. Also, all the rock solid superstar players that could be swayed have already been gotten at this point.

That means you have take a risk on a potential star player (like a Gordon/Harden/etc.) or a star player who has showing some reasons for pause (Howard).

Given all that, you have to take a chance on Howard. It doesn't really matter how much it would be grasping at straws because without doing that you will drown because there is nothing else in the water.

Also, the last 3 seasons have fleshed out that not having stars means everything, so you have take the risk even if means that star play will leave you. Given how Morey has dealt with potential free agents, either trade them for potentially better future player or play hard ball in FA. I would bet he would rather play hard ball and force him to choose less money in FA.

6. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

whoa there buddy, I think youre reading waaay too much into it c:

7. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

I think of it this way, rockets have wo picks and one of them could land maybe 5-10. Know a trade for a top 1-3 pick gets a better chance at happening. this and a 13-15 pick plus some young talent of course maybe lowry, buddinger, martin,they still have the trade exceptions. it an happen way better than going to the playoffs in my opinion.

8. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

a broken knees, forced in to early retirement, superstar? yup sounds like a rockets pick..

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

None of the picks can be between 5-10. The picks will most likely be:
    No. 15-17 and
    No. 13-14 with an extremely minute chance of of No. 1-3.

10. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

If Moreyball trades our picks plus our only prospects for any player that doesn't agree to a long term extension I will officially be done.

11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I hope you're right, but you may be giving him too much credit.

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Lol! Burn baby, burn.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Further proof that the rockets intentionally tried to miss the Playoffs, they were going well and being competitive for most of the game but always choked them away.

Utah jazz we got killed in 3rd qtr, suns we got killed in 3rd, nuggets we got killed in 3rd.

What does that mean? Perhaps McHale had a little "pep talk" at half-time saying, all right guys, you've proven that you can hang with this team, now go out there and make sure we lose.

Not to mention Lowry getting rushed back when clearly not ready, and Martin not even playing when he's our best scorer.

14. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

None of this actually constitutes "proof" or "evidence". This is more or less a theory you have concocted based on your OWN interpretation of the events that have occurred.

Lowery getting rushed back when clearly not ready. <--- Wouldn't this give you reason to believe that the Rockets were doing the exact opposite and trying to do everything they could win some ball games.

Then again, all of this speculative. The Rockets lost because they simply couldn't close games out. They got outworked and out-coached. How hard is that to believe?

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ping Pong Balls are going to bounce in our favor this year; Stern going to give us some love because of basketball reasons. For real, if we get a good draft pick I will know the NBA is definitely rigged.

16. thejav

thejav Member

I hope lowry martin and scola are gone before next year.. hate floppers.. we need real men thay don't spend half the time on the floor..

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ironic isn't it. One or two years ago.... all those players were fan favorites....

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Too little - too late.

19. onreego

onreego Member

I'll dream with you buddy, cause thats all we have now.

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

If they are trying to tank, it is just for 13 or 14th pick, it has nothing to do with Howard. Did you start a thread that You were convinced the rockets will make the playoffs before? I thought I read this kind thread, but may be not from you. My point is you could be easily convinced by something without a solid support.