1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am convinced the Rockets are trying to tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Apr 22, 2012.

1. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Another thing to consider is, why would you even unload half your roster for Dwight Howard when you know he is at best a rental? I would argue that our current team is better off as is as opposed to blowing it up for the sake of a rental Dwight Howard.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You really think those teams are going to be willing to offer the likes of Amare/Chander/picks, Granger/Hibbert, and Smith/Horford for a guy coming off major surgery that won't commit beyond one season? Wow.

None of the Rockets pieces would be that appealing, if in theory I could acquire anyone. It doesn't work that way. There are parameters.

3. The Cat

Absolutely. This is a real consideration, and as I've said as much a couple of times. I don't know that going after Dwight Howard is the right idea for the Rockets. It may not be. There's a reason teams like the Knicks, Pacers and Hawks aren't offering the types of proposals that you suggested. The only point I'm disputing is that they Rockets can't get a deal done, should they want to. They definitely can.

4. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

I wasn't joking about the Knicks deal. It was on the table: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/fee...emire-tyson-chandler-orlando-magic-nba-trades.

Also, A trade to the Knicks wouldn't be a rental, as New York is one of the places that Howard has on his list. Atlanta wouldn't be too far-fetched because, Howard has some roots there. Look, the Rockets are not going to be able to land Howard. I do think that they need a superstar, but Howard isn't it.

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

[​IMG]

the only thing that makes this post better is your name.

6. amaru

amaru Member

I would argue against that.....this team is going nowhere. Getting a rental gives you a definite direction either way.

7. The Cat

Read the story. THE MAGIC MADE THE INQUIRY. And why wouldn't they? As you said, it's a clearly superior package to what the Rockets could offer. Smith would be a fool if he didn't try. Hell, I'm sure he's "made inquiries" to the Heat to let it be known that he'd swap Dwight for LeBron or Dwyane. I'm sure Morey has "made inquiries" to Sam Presti that he'd swap Kyle Lowry and Kevin Martin for Russell Westbrook and James Harden. :)

Until you have information suggesting the Knicks or Hawks are willing to offer those packages, that "story" is completely meaningless. It was on the table the same way that Luis Scola for Kevin Love is "on the table". The last reports most of us read were that Dwight's list has one team - the Nets. That limits the value significantly.

8. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Actually, I was a proponent of tanking as the Rockets currently aren't going anywhere with the lineup they have. I'm not a big fan of the rental for Dwight Howard, because we would be giving up half our roster to get a team of nobodies plus a Dwight Howard, which honestly would probably net you the exact same results, but what's worse is Dwight Howard would be gone after a season and you are left without ANY of the assets you had spent all these years trying to accumulate.

9. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Dude, the deal was on the table. They talked about this thing on ESPN for a good couple of weeks. I don't understand how this is so hard for you to comprehend. The deal was ACTUALLY DISCUSSED. Not only that, the same guy you included as one of your viable resources (Chris Mannix) was one of the first to break the news. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-10875335

10. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Who cares who made the inquiry? This is a trade that the Magic obviously preferred, on top of that, this deal had far more juice than the one you were proposing dealing with the Rockets. Look, the Dwight Howard to Houston thing is a pipe dream. The sooner to come to this realization, the better.

11. The Cat

Again, here's the quote:

The Magic sought out the deal. The Knicks, pre-Lin and massively struggling at the time, briefly considered it. They decided against it and were never considered a serious contender for his services (at the deadline). This isn't rocket science.

12. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Since you can't seem to comprehend the title of the second article that I just sent as a link, I will just paste it here for all to see:

New York Knicks Reportedly Considering an Amare Stoudemire for Dwight Howard Trade
    Charles Joel

By Charles Joel, Yahoo! Contributor Network Jan 23, 7:20 pm EST

ESPN insider Stephen A. Smith is reporting that the New York Knicks and the Orlando Magic have discussed a deal that would send Amare Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler to Orlando for Dwight Howard.

Smith works as an analyst on ESPN First Take and is well-known for reporting that LeBron James and Chris Bosh would join the Miami Heat one week before the two stars had announced their decisions. Smith mentioned the potential STAT-D12 trade on his radio show in New York on January 22.

Here is the exact quote:

* Stephen A. Smith via 1050 AM in New York: "As I told you a little bit earlier in the hour, I have some news to report about your New York Knicks. The Orlando Magic, I will preface my statement by telling you that they have categorically denied this, but my sources tell me that they have inquired about Tyson Chandler and Amare Stoudemire going to Orlando for Dwight Howard. Let me confess to you that I'm torn. From a basketball standpoint, it would seem you do that trade in a heartbeat. You don't teach seven-feet and you don't teach the dominance and the skills that the best big man in the game, Dwight Howard, has. But I like Tyson Chandler. I like the fact that he rebounds and defends."

It should be noted that this is not the first report of a Howard-Stoudemire swap. Two weeks ago, former NBA player Donny Marshall reported that the Magic and Knicks had opened talks that would send Amare to Orlando for D12.

Trade buzz comes at a crossroads for both teams. Unless the Magic are certain that they can resign Howard, they must trade him before the March 15 trade deadline, or they risk gaining nothing but cap space from his exit. In the Big Apple, there are rumblings about chemistry issues and finger-pointing.

Ever since the Knicks traded for Carmelo Anthony, Stoudemire's productivity has taken a plunge. He is averaging 17.6 points per game and 41.3 percent from the field, both significantly lower than his averages in New York prior to Melo's arrival. He is also collecting 0.5 blocks compared to nearly 2 in 2010-11.

On the other hand, Howard is currently putting up 20.6 points per game on 57.5 percent shooting, along with a career-high 16.1 rebounds per game, 2.4 blocks and 1.4 steals. Howard is on his way to winning his fourth consecutive Defensive Player of the Year award.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am convinced the front office is clueless. In fact that is the only thing I am sure of at this point in the season now.

14. highlander3128

If the OP put up something related to Las Vagas as a reason why the Rockets is tanking this late in a season, then I think it is more convincing.

2 people like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I considered this idea, then figured Les would never give up the revenue generated from a playoff series with a top seeded team.

1 person likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It may not have been a few games ago now, but a late season mini tank seems at least plausible. As many have noted, he Scola Ppat expirement is a know. 4th quarter failure yet keeps getting trotted out there. Something has to be up. Or McHale hrs away a solid season of over coaching by making the same, repeated obvious mistake.

One spot means a lot. An extra pick could mean a lot.

I have no doubts they've been tryin to make the playoffs as much as possible... Until recently. The lineup choices just don't make sense. It's not like McHale was this dumb with lineups earlier in the season or before the losing streak. Questionable moments, sure, but if anything he had a much quicker "benching" trigger than many coaches all season, yet in the end this philosoPhy really seemed to change.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Golden State can't do stuff right.

18. The Cat

The title is written by an unassociated copy editor. Read the actual text. The Magic made the inquiry.

19. rox81

rox81 Member

Can't even tank properly

Then they suck even at tanking. The way to do it is to go 10-56 and score a high pick.

We're like the loser who tries to commit suicide and fails.

20. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I am convinced that Les is trying to "stay competitive while heading to the lottery", aka 13-14th seed.