1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[bettor]MVP debate: Hakeem Olajuwon picks LeBron James, Kareem goes for Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Apr 19, 2012.

?

MVP

1. James

23 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. Durant

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://blogs.bettor.com/Hakeem-Olaj...bbar-goes-for-Kevin-Durant-NBA-Update-a147054

Legends weigh in on MVP debate; Hakeem Olajuwon picks LeBron James, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar goes for Kevin Durant – NBA Update

The NBA season end is approaching and the question on everyone’s mind is who will win the Most Valuable Player award. Chicago Bulls star Derrick Rose won it last year, but he isn’t in the running this season. Instead, the competition is between Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant and LeBron James of the Miami Heat.

Two former greats of the game have now given their opinions on the matter and opinion is divided. Hakeem Olajuwon and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar are two of the best centres of ever play the game, indeed two of the best players to grace an NBA court.

They both won multiple NBA Championships during their time in the league and both won MVP awards. So it is pertinent to say that they are in a position to comment on the debate going on today.

The two legends however, could not form a consensus. Former Los Angeles Lakers great Abdul-Jabbar, when posed the question, leaned towards Kevin Durant. He explained that Durant has done a lot for his team and was the main reason behind their superb performances this season.

“I think that this year’s MVP award will end up in the hands of Kevin Durant,’’ Abdul-Jabbar said. “Durant is my choice as front-runner due to the success of his team. Yes, he is on a young and talented team, but his presence has been the catalyst for their recent dominance.’’

Hakeem Olajuwon however had a different opinion. Hakeem, who won two NBA World Championships whilst at the Houston Rockets, backed James for the award because of his more complete all round game.

“There’s no question LeBron deserves the MVP, with his performance playing a complete game and for a successful team,’’ said Hakeem Olajuwon. “When you look at his contribution to his team and their record, there’s no question he deserves it.’’

There is no question that James and Durant are two of the best basketball players in the world today. LeBron is a two time NBA MVP already, while Kevin has won the last two NBA scoring championships.

Kevin is leading LeBron in terms of scoring this year again, but James has an edge in other areas. It is also a fact that LeBron is the more accomplished defender between the two, in fact one of the best in the NBA.

In terms of individual game, LeBron looks the more solid candidate. However, he does play with more established superstars in the form of Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade. On the other hand, Durant stars for a talented but young side, where he is the leader of the pack and a main reason for their marked improvement from yesteryear.

It is indeed a tough choice to make.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hakeem worked with LeBron last offseason? He may be biased. Still, I agree with him. LeBron is a dominating player on both ends of the floor.

Durant will probably win it based on likeability, though.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Durant more, however Dream is right because LeBron is so good on the defensive end.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I'll go with LeBron primarily for his defensive contributions and having to play/win more games as the only facilitator on the team this season.

5. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

MVP doesn't necessarily mean the best player though. It's a tough call because they are both major contributors to their team. As much as I dislike it, I would have to say Lebron over Durant. The Heat are just that much better with him on the court (minus the 4th quarter).

I do however hope Durant can get the scoring title and MVP.

6. VBG

VBG Member

Lebron should be MVP easy.

Lebron gets flak for Wade and Bosh.... Durant has Westbrook and Harden who scored 40 yesterday.

Plus Durant has a real bench, real bigs to help out. Lebron has Mario Chalmers as the 4th best player?

Defensively, not even close (Durant has improved though).

Passing, not even close.

Scoring Durant slightly better than Lebron.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Bron has a PER of over 30. I mean it may not be the be all end all statistic, but it takes into account all the offensive accomplishments of a players and we know how got bron is on the defensive end.

8. Nook

Nook Member

LeBron is the best one-on-one defender in the NBA, and honestly, it isn't even close. He is fast/quick enough to guard Derrick Rose and is strong enough to muscle up Blake Griffin.

9. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

only reason ppl choosing lebron is because Hakeem picked him.. its ok to disagree with the Dream.. Durant outplayed lebron big time in their head to head in OKC but lebron didnt outplay Durant at all in their game in Miami.. its based more off that but Durant has elevated to another level yet again this year and he doesnt have Dwyane Wade or Bosh on his team either

KD has westbrick jackin and hoggin more shot per game, his resume is even more impressive considering hes facing 6 players a night on the court battling westricks' inept delusional decision making as the ''point guard''

10. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Durant, hes an MVP candidate in spite of westbrick

thats impressive

11. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

put Durant on the Heat and the Heat are unstoppable

put lebrick on OKC with westbrick and theyll lose every close game they play, FACT

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

maybe so but the good thing is with LeBron on the Thunder there probably wont be too many close games to begin with

13. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I dont think it's about agreeing with Hakeem. I mean I am a borderline Lebron hater and a UT alum so I want KD to be as successful as possible esp. over Lebron, but I think it's pretty clear that Lebron is a bit more valuable to his team than Durant.

14. supdudes

supdudes Member

LBJ deserves the regular season MVP...

not sure about anything else though

15. Quickman

Quickman Member

Lebron should be MVP.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

And the article stated as such. It should go to LBJ though. The MVP race is close b/c he had a bad 1.5 week stretch.