1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG Goes Insane On National TV

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRedemption, Apr 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YMY7IWVX0JA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:grin:

3 people like this.
  2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Totally agree with JVG.

It's a joke there hasn't been done anything to prevent flopping.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I heart Jeff Van Gundy

4. Ashcoza

Ashcoza Member

Best commentator, its true though. If NBA wants to regulate technicals to the point of small taunts or hanging on the rim and other subjective things, or even with after the game throuhg tape, couldn't they easily go punish sever flopping and make people think twice to flop...or is it just engrained in the game at this point? Contrary to popular belief its been around a long time and even considered a Vet trick to do, from MJ, Reggie, Magic, Larry all of em 'sold' fouls as they would refer to it. I can't speak before the 80s, but I know even then when the game was much rougher and less protected with the wuss foul calls of today, they still had floppers prevalent.

5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Always respect a guy who says it like it is.
    Screw stern, hes only helping the cause.
    Players have fully figured out how to manipulate the game and are the ones in charge.
    As Jeff said, if were allowed to recheck a play then these should be in the same category.
    A flagrant is always altered higher/lower after checking. So give them the flop in game then after the review fine them.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I liked the David Stern blast at the end. :)

7. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

JVG is great, but, it does look like he pushed off a little, and the ref's instinct is to call a foul because it looks that way. If flops were punished, it would make it hard for refs to be constantly be looking for them. I believe what JVG is saying but just try putting yourself in the ref's shoes; you have to make a decision regarding fouls in a split second. My suggestion is to look at questionable calls after the game and hand out technicals for flops, which would eventually result in suspensions.

8. izeroi

izeroi Member

JVG speaking the truth

9. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

Can we get this guy back please??

10. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

I agree with Van Gundy completely, but I'm gonna play Devil's advocate for a sec.

Isn't practically every charge call a flop? Players could save themselves from falling down almost every time, yet they don't because that's just how a charge is drawn. So if we were to institute some kind of penalty for flopping, what would happen to the art of drawing a charge? Would that an exception?

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

that's why the punishment should be assessed AFTER the game. it's easy to recognize a flop with replays. just suspend players the next game when you (the NBA) determine it is a flop. that will end it real quick.

the decision shouldn't be any different than punishing a player for a flagrant 2 retroactively.

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

You make a point however its almost never thought of twice that a charge is a flop.
    Charge takers actually take a hit.
    We know players need to be outside the restricted , settled, squared.
    Flops don't have requirements other then acting like you've got trampled on or hit by a truck. I might be wrong but i still see the difference.

13. Convictedstupid

He keeps it real.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep, this has been suggested for so long, and it's not that hard to do.

I love how JVG blasted the league. Now that he's not working in the league, he can say anything without getting fined. :grin:

BTW, that wasn't that bad of a flop. The guy did get shoved. The blatant flops are when there's no contact or minimal contact.

And the Knicks lost. :cool:

15. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Honestly, if they try to stop flopping by calling techs or flagrants or whatever, they would have one of those every play. The only solution imo is to look at replay's after the game and fine the people who flop x amount of times.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Agree with JVG 1000%. Fine 'em. Even if that includes our beloved Luis Scola.

Oh, and if you look closely, LeBron James traveled. Tehee.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The problem with assessing flopping after the game is the league would have to review the flops of all individuals, through several angles, to determine whether it is a flop before handing out a fine/technical.

The problem with doing this is it would cost too much time and effort. Considering the amount of games we have and the amount of times player flops in this league it would take hours and hours to assess every flop.

Although I would say it's up to each team's management to call out a flop and file a tape to the league showing the flopping.

18. cuddie

cuddie Member

There's a difference between this:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lv4l0KInMNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And this:
    [​IMG]

19. Steve_Francis_rules

No, drawing a charge is not the same as a flop. On a drawn charge, you have to fall or both players could potentially be seriously injured. And there is real contact. Falling is not equivalent to flopping.

20. Steve_Francis_rules

That play looks like a really bad flop, but if I recall correctly, Bosh actually ended up with a swollen eye from the play.