1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hate to see some words like: You are Yao only fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dsong, Dec 17, 2002.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You are not a Yao-only fan because you want the Rockets to do well. A yao-only fan is one that doesn't care about how the Rockets are doing. I would label you a "Yao-first fan", first of all you love Yao, then the team he is playing for.

Just to clarify, most of us here are called die-hard fans. We love the team no matter who is in charge and who is playing and who is coaching. The label ROCKETS on their NBA uniform is all that seems to matter.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Disclaimer:
    I promised myself to stay out of the fray after my bad tempered display of this afternoon, but this demands a response. I apologize in advance for this and will say that if any of you feel Im in the wrong or have been wronged by my posts...email me directly..I would be glad to continue a clarification of my feelings over email...no more wasting time and space to discuss this.

First off heech...
    you are poutting words in my mouth. All I did was explain that some posters are reacting in a certain fashion. Notice I did NOT say ALL new posters...

Second,
    There is no clique.

email.....myputersux@hotmail.com
    feel free to continue this over email...I dont wish to continue postin to this thread

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yao Ming is very lucky the Rockets got the #1 pick. You Yao Ming only fans need to realize that pronto.

Go Rockets!! :)

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I hope this "Yao-only" debate will end soon. Ironically, I seem to remember seeing a lot of American Yao-only fans during the World Championship. Remember people said something like, "I don't care if the Chinese team win, I just want to see whether Yao is any good"?

Irony.

5. walterw

walterw Member

Nice catch, Easy. It is the time to end the debate.

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Yao-only-fan, Yao-first-fan, Steve-lovers, Steve-bashers, Cat-haters, Garage sale-fans, Why-are-we-not-undefeated-yet-fans, Trade-for-who-ever-had-a-good-game-against-the-Rockets-the-night-before-fans... I'm sure there's more. :)

What is happening to Rocket fans. :confused:

Just give it time and everything will settle down. Well I hope.

Blatz

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I also recall that most of us had a vested interest in another team (that didn't do so well). Also, no one went on CBA message boards talking about Yao either.

8. joe the joker

joe the joker Member

You hit the point,Easy.
    As we can see, so called "Yao-only fans" or "xx-only fans" exists almost everywhere. Some guys love Maverick just coz of Dirk,or some others lost interest in the Queens after Jasson Williams disppeared.So why shouldn't Yao-only fans exist here in the cc.net?
    Enjoying a team or enjoying a player,they are just different attitudes to the game,am I right? It's just personal attitude and none of all the others' business.

btw.
    This is internet and everybody should have his previledge to express his feelings in the CC.net only if he doesnt violate any rules here.And other fans will surely fight back if they dont agree to some points of view.
    So as I can see,the debates for Yao,Franchise,or all the other plays are something of nature.As the CC.net exists,the debates will never stop.
    Anyway,just think about it: it's not a too bad thing to have a debate on basketball after a whole day's work.:D

9. GreatProgrammer

Haha... That is definitely enjoyable. :p

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's true. But I'm pretty sure if Rockets fans knew Chinese, some of them would have gone to the CBA message boards too. (I don't even know if they exist or not. They probably do. Winandsea knows this sort of things.)

The similarities just struck me. Rockets fans were bashing the Chinese guards and the coach Wang Fei for not giving the ball to Yao. Now, these "Yao-only" fans are doing the same to the Rockets guards and Rudy.

Irony.

11. dsong

dsong Member

ESPN try let people watch tonight's game, they just keep talk about Yao and it looks like Rocket is Yao's team according to what they talked. Is those people all are Yao-only fans? If it is, Yao only fans are much bigger than any other fans. So cool!!!!!

I don't know somebody still want to make his list. I am for sure all Yao-only fans go on the board, it will be crash the system.

12. wiredog

wiredog Member

There is another thread by wind and sea that deals with "yao only fans" I look at it like this. We all know what a true "fan" is, it comes from the word fanatic. When you are a fan, you should be "fanatical" in every aspect about him or her, especially what team he is in. yao only fans..look at his jersey and tell me what you see under #11..ROCKETS. Enough said. Bottom line is, Rockets made Yao who he is today, not the other way around. Rockets won back to back titles when Yao was in middel school. And this is no disrespect to Yao. I think he's a great athlete and a great person, and a classy addittion to a classy organization. Yao himsel would tell you to root for the Rockets, not him. Second, as an Asian, we do take pride when an Asian player gets to compete where Asians usually don't. Someone wrote a great analogy about an American soccer player becoming a British soccer star. It's unfathomable because Americans are so used to leading the sports world. Last thing I want to say is that I think it's a great irony that a player from China comes over to play in the NBA and we as Americans can't understand some fans who might be cheering Yao's freedom to do what they can only dream of. I'm not just talking about basketball. And I'm not saying all Yao only fans are Chinese but many aprobably are. In China, you don't get to root for things very often. In this land we have the freedom to root and cheer and say what we want as long as it's harmless. I think we can let few Yao only fans slide.

13. testmyself

testmyself New Member

I live in chine, I am only Yao Ming FAN,But Now I will to be Rocket Fan.
    Is It wrong?