1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the "Yao-only-fan"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Dec 17, 2002.

Tags:
?

Who is the "Yao-only fans"?

1. 1. All Chinese fans.

16 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. 2. All converted fans.

21 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. 3. All the fans who registered after the Draft.

22 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. 4. All the fans who bash Steve, Cat or Kenny.

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. 5. All the fans who care about Yao Ming's stats.

19 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. 6. All the fans who are happy if Rockets lose while Yao Ming has a good stats.

131 vote(s)
    51.6%
  7. 7. None of above

42 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

How can you left Bban212 out? ;) Show some love. :D

2. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

I do sincerely apologize, michecon...

Known Yao-Only Fans
    Public Offender #1. feishen
    Public Offender #2. sun112
    Public Offender #3. polypheus
    Public Offender #4. jh4lau
    Public Offender #5. dsong
    Public Offender #6. bban212 (apprehended by michecon)

Who say's police are corrupt?

:p :p :p

theSAGE

3. njsun

njsun Contributing Member

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

njsun, isn't this thread debating whether these Chinese fans are actually Rockets fans or just Yao-only fans.

I don't consider people who live Chinese pride vicariously through Yao Ming to necessarily even be sports fans, much less NBA fans. Surely, a lot just want him to succeed as much for non sports issues as sports championships.

It's like me rooting for Brazilian soccer just so I can see more awesome Brazilian soccer fan butts on television. :)

5. GreatProgrammer

Haha, you are too serious. They are just kidding. All people know it is impossible to trade Yao. You also should know that no matter what kind of fan, they will be frustrated while seeing the team made mistakes. Actually, not only so-called "yao-only-fan", a lot of people keep sayig "trade yao or trade steve" after the game.

You also should pay attention that some "yao-only-fan" used the term of "our team" or "we" (don't need Yao). This means in the subconscious, they tought they were a part of the Rox. (Sorry, recently reading too much psychology.) Anyway, I believe you will change your mind in the future.

6. dsong

dsong Member

My name is on the list even I just did three post. I haven't get chance to say how good the rest team member is and I would treat as myself as Yao-Only fan.

I am proud of <B>Yao-Only fans</B> because I will wait to see Yao get NBA title either in Rocket or some other team if people really don't want Yao be in Rocket but it may never happen.

I will keep that thread and re-post it when Yao get title and then what people should say about this thread.

Thanks for SageHare6 to add me on the list.

7. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

I thought polypheus is a Yao-only-hater. :rolleyes:

8. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

IMO most NEW Chinese fans are NOT Rocket fans. All you need to do is to flip through the sports section of a Chinese newspaper to see.... the media feeds the "Yao this" and "Yao that" mentality. While the Chinese media seems to have a thing for American sports celebrities (and female movie celebrities for that matter), they don't seem to be as equally interested in the many great atheletes that DON'T get equally as much attention as a Michael Jordan.

This is why such "celebrity zealotry" is such a poor base for engendering REAL support - national, local, or otherwise. Look at poor WANG ZHI ZHI. You rarely hear about him, and even when you do, in the local Chinese circuit, it's about how BAD A PLAYER HE IS, how BAD A COUNTRYMAN HE IS, how GREEDY A b*stard HE IS. These nationlistic fans are fickle. They wan't something to root for so badly, they will bad mouth the rest of team to get their point across.

Until I see a change in how the Chinese "press" handles their coverage of the Rockets, it's a foregone conclusion that most people following "Yao" are indeed Yao-only fans. They are the "name droppers" that say, "wow, did you know Yao did this and this?" These are NOT true fans of the sport OR of the team. It's an unfortunate occurence that I hope changes this next decade.

9. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Funny Fact

The funny thing is, did you know that during the "Asian Games" (Yao's prior tournament endeavor prior to joining the Rox), Korea was COUNTING on there being lots of Chinese fans boarding planes to go see their big man play in the finals. The Reality? The Event was NOT a sell-out. Even during Yao's days on the Shanghai Sharks... do you think all of China heard, let alone, were zealous about him? NO. It's only AFTER he got to the U.S. and the "Celebrity" status was crowned upon him (by ESPN and Sports Illustrated and the NBA) that you saw more of these luny nationalistic fanatics appear. It's only then did the Chinese press ALSO START taking more notice of him. Prior to that, despite all his accolades, Yao was still a mystery. Why else would so many NBA scouts have so little info about the dude when they were prospecting Yao? ONE BILLION people, and only a handful having followed his progress??? Fact is, Yao developed in relative obscurity.

As for Yao-ONLY fans... they are the worst kind of fan you can ask for... i.e. the CELEBRITY FAN.

Here in the States, we sometimes call them mindless TEENY BOPPERS.

theSAGE

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

actually, Yao can be traded. It is not impossible at all, and I don't think they kid about regretting that Yao is on the Rockets.

<blockquote><hr>(Sorry, recently reading too much psychology.) Anyway, I believe you will change your mind in the future.<hr></blockquote>
    Anyhow Great Programmer...you're just trying to cheer me up and all. No need, as I'm hear to stay and soak in as much positivism and celebration as possible. I don't believe I will be changing my mind in the future regarding negative Yao-only fans, since I have them on my ignore list.

You should use your psychology to understand that some fans just suck at being enjoyable fans, to the point that I wouldn't even want to talk to them after winning a title together...the conversation would be about who was more important and who brought us the title. There are some fans that would be annoying to the end. I may never like them, and since they are on ignore, they really have no chance winning me over. ;)

11. dsong

dsong Member

Shut it up, SageHare6. It is time to go to sleep. you may have better talking tomorrow

12. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

dsong, you need to take anger management classes...
    And if there was any doubt, "yes, you are a little troll."

[​IMG]
    Time for bed, little DSONG.

13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A "Yao-only fan" is a combination of the options you listed. They are very inconsiderate to the real Rockets fan because they clog up this board with redundant negative posts in broken english. This forum was created for Rockets fans by a Rockets fan, these "Yao-only fans" are lowering the quality here because they know very little about the NBA and the Rockets but make big statements like they do. IMO, if you're not from Houston or have no affiliation with the city, you're not a true fan of the Rockets. You either: 1) are a frontrunner and jumped on the bandwagon when we won the two championships or 2) follow a player on the Rockets and are a fan of that player first, the Rockets second. For all of you "Yao-only fans" who say that if Yao was traded to another team you wouldn't root for the Rockets, you should go, because you are not a fan of the Rockets.

14. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Ok. this got to stop. I am a silent obsever ever since I registered. This is my first post.

I have a question for you guys. Is Yao a rocket now? If the anwer is yes, there is no such defination as Yan-Only-Fan. People are entitled to have their own opinion. Try to label someone this or that because they have different oppinion is just too silly...

What I really want to say is that: as many people point out before. This is a new team. The chemistry doesn't come overnight. It comes with time. Same thing goes for fans. Loyalty doesn't come overnight. It comes with time. So be patient!!!

Peace...

15. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Ah...the witchhunt has begun :rolleyes:

16. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Ah... you mean "the TROLLHUNT" has begun. :p

theSAGE has spoken... so it will be so!

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fan psychology is a strange thing. Since you mention the Oilers/Titans, let me put in my own sentiment.

I have been an Oilers fan for a long time (yeah, they broke my heart many times!). When they moved to Tennessee (sp?), I still rooted for them. The thing is, I had come to be attached to the players and coaches on that team. The continuity was there. In fact, my attachment to the Titans is stronger than that of the Texans now. Maybe the Texans are too new. Or maybe I'm no longer living in Houston. I don't really know why.

But I know a lot of people stop rooting for a team when they (the team) move to another city. But not a lot of people stop rooting for a team when they (the fans) themselves move to another city. Why? Would you still be rooting for the Rockets if they moved?

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

BTW, I've asked this question somewhere else. If the Rockets swapped all the players and coaches with the Jazz, would you be rooting for the Rockets or the Jazz?

19. illadelph

illadelph Member

"broken english"???

Don't tell me that you think "real" Rockets fans write in perfect English? I think you've just lowered the cultural level of our dialogue here. Wake up, we live in a cosmopolitan world now. Rockets fans--"real" and "unreal"--will come in all shapes and sizes. And, yes, many--even some from Houston--will post in a "broken English." Deal with it.

20. jli

jli Member

The question is: without Yaomin, what else can you talk about this team?