1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is the "Yao-only-fan"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Dec 17, 2002.

Tags:
?

Who is the "Yao-only fans"?

1. 1. All Chinese fans.

16 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. 2. All converted fans.

21 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. 3. All the fans who registered after the Draft.

22 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. 4. All the fans who bash Steve, Cat or Kenny.

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. 5. All the fans who care about Yao Ming's stats.

19 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. 6. All the fans who are happy if Rockets lose while Yao Ming has a good stats.

131 vote(s)
    51.6%
  7. 7. None of above

42 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

people who do not care if houston wins or losses, and only care about Yao stats. i do not mind anybody be a pleyer first team second fan. But if you ONLY care for the player stats and not for the win you are a Yao-Only-Fan.
    but you W&W are not a Yao-Only-Fan, atleast not in a negative way.like i said in a other thread you are to respected on this BBS.
    i also didn't know you had a daughter.

2. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Why not Rice W&S??? Got a secret crush on Elton or is Glen just a waste of space?

3. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Now I like the Rockets more and more. If Ming is put on the IL to have a total rest, I will still watch all the games of Rockets.

So I am not a "Yao-only-fan". ;)

4. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Where is the name of Rice? I didn't find it.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<blockquote><hr>Originally posted by Fierguard
    I think that most true fans start with a favorite player or the beating of a team that they hate. <hr></blockquote>
    :confused:

Let's leave the word "true fan" out of the equation for a second. Most fans are hometown fans, right? I would say that most fans without a city affiliation might be by your definition. But most Rockets fans are Houston fans because of city pride and the fact you get to see all the games.

<blockquote><hr>Originally posted by dragon167 Isn't it normal that many new fans support their idol players first and then their respective teams.<hr></blockquote>
    This is probably more correct. That "new fans" to a sport (the NBA in this case) support their idol players. However, the true HOF studs often go to really bad teams at first and none of them ever complained. The true idol players will play anywhere and exceed, and I've rarely ever heard of a fan of a true superstar complain about them being on the wrong team.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Every fan had a reason to become a fan of a certain team in the beginning. The most common reasons are:

1. Location: You live in a city, you support the local team. A lot of these people continue to support the team even after they have moved away from that city.

2. Star: You like a certain star and you support the team he is playing for. This is true for the "Yao only fans" and is also true for a lot of people who became Rockets fans because of the stars in the past (Hakeem, Moses, Ralph, Charles, etc.) As dragon167 pointed out nicely, many people stuck with the team after the star has played for it for a long time.

3. Success: You see a team playing well with a lot of success, you root for it. This is also called "bandwagoning." However, the same principle applies even to many bandwagoners. They might become permenant fans after a while.

True fans are those who stick with the team through thick and thin. But it takes time to build loyalty. Yet, some people are just not wired to be hardcore fans while others are.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I belong to the first group mentioned above.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Also, those people who root for a player but don't care if his team wins or not have no sense of what team sports are all about.

8. GreatProgrammer

This topic is actually meaningless. It is impossible for people be a so called "Yao-Only-Fan" for long time. As you know it, basketball is a team sport. as long as Yao be more and more involved in the team and become an excellent team player in the Rox, the so called "Yao-Only-Fan" will become a "Yao-Rockets" fan sooner or later.

For example, if you have been a fan of Michael Jordan for over ten years, and if you are a "MJ-Only-Fan", then for sure you ARE or you WERE a bulls fan. (Don't tell me you are a counterexample. This is not quite possible.) This is obviously as it is based on a psychological theory: When you love someone, you will probably like the things related to him sooner or later.

So for all the "yao-only-fan" hata, you should welcome the so called "yao-only-fan" to this bbs, coz they will become "yao-rockets-fan" in the future.

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Am I a "Yao-only-fan"?

You answered your own question...

"But Yao Ming is a Rocket now and I definitely support Rockets with all my heart. I want Rockets win a lot of games. I hope Ming to bring rings to Rockets."

:)

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

yao only fans will come in here and claim that we should trade our franchise.
    and then since we at it, how about the rest of the team? that way Yao will have all the touchs he needs....

11. cas

cas Member

LOL. This is really funny. :)

I voted 6.

12. heypartner

Sorry, your post makes little sense. Yao only fans exist, and I do not welcome them, now or in the future. The ones that I am talking about want him on a different team and will protect him from any criticism to the point of blaming his teammates.

As an exercise in NBA history, name me the last #1 pick whose fans said in his first year, "Man, he needs to be on another team, because his team isn't getting him the ball."

13. dsong

dsong Member

This question is like ask for:

If Michael Jordan is not in Bull, you will still be a fan of bull.
    I don't know the answer but the result is:
    Bull lost a lot of fans after Michael left.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I am a Coline Pine ONLY fan[color]. Whoever he is interpreting is who I am going to root for.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I cannot edit my post. Why?

16. rickylee888

rickylee888 Contributing Member

Yeah, but at least the most important opinion than all of ours combined is Yao's opinion. He had never demanded the ball to pad his stats. I've always read where he always states it's about winning and about the team. I haven't had any suspicions he's just putting us on.

17. heypartner

<blockquote><hr>Originally posted by dsong
    This question is like ask for:
    Bull lost a lot of fans after Michael left. <hr></blockquote>
    in 1994 and 1995???

How many fans did the Rockets lose when Hakeem left? New York/Ewing? Magic/LA. Bird/Celtics. Barkley/76ers.

What about if Francis leaves the Rockets??

Sure there are people who stop following those teams vs when they had a star. That is popular enough of a phenomenon that we have a name for it...."Bandwagoner"

The phenomenon that is annoying and rare is the bandwagoners of a #1 pick in the NBA saying he's on the wrong team in his first year. That is just weird, and imo, goes against basketball history that proves how superstars make their teams great, not the other way around.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was a rocket fan
    Before Yao
    Before Olajuwon
    I think around the time I became aware of basketball
    like 1980 [I was a huge football fan]
    maybe because i live in houston . . .

But i came to love them . . like my beloved oilers
    [Hate the Titans]

Rocket River

19. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

These are the people without much of a brain. They "think" they care about Yao, but actually they don't, at least their action doesn't support their claim.

20. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

BE CAREFUL WHEN HANDLING YAO-ONLY FANS!!!!
    Please take their words with a grain of salt as all of them have a shared tendency to become overemotional

Known Yao-Only Fans
    Public Offender #1. feishen
    Public Offender #2. sun112
    Public Offender #3. polypheus
    Public Offender #4. jhlau
    Public Offender #5. dsong

These are the WORST OFFENDERS. Why? b/c Yao-ONLY fans are synonymous with Steve-Hating fans and Mooch-Hating fans, and Cat-hating fans... do you see a pattern here? All the negativity can't possibly be good for people, much less, good people rooting for a rising team. If you sense non-constructive criticism and general negativity, then you are probably dealing with a Yao-ONLY fan. Please do not ABET their threads.

And feel free to add to this list as necessary.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

policeSAGE