1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patterson over the Hill?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Mar 25, 2012.

?

Who would you rather backing up at the 4?

1. Jordan Hill

16 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Patrick Patterson

142 vote(s)
    83.0%
  3. Neither

13 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Call it an awful thread if you like, I'm just playing devils advocate here. Pat, who I really like, has been playing sub par since the injury, and fall. On every thread people are calling for his head, so I put up a poll to see what the majority thinks...

Not just give the squeaky wheel all he attention.

U Mad?

2. lowery

lowery Member

I declare this the worse thread of all time. Hill can't play offensively or defensively. Yes his rebounding is good, but hes an unstable players. Delivers one good game, and then five bad ones. Is it just because of his hair that you guys pick him over Patterson?

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

My point was Pat is not a 3 and he can't defend 3's. If C Lee is getting lit up by a guy bombing from the perimeter so will Pat. (Did you see how many times Dirk was open yesterday?)

4. jocar

jocar Member

Patsquatch without question. Unlike Pat, Hill has peaked, plus it's easier to teach a guy post up moves than it is to teach him how to shoot

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Watching them play, I have no idea how one can conclude that Hill should have a better future than Patterson. It's likely that neither will become a star, but Patterson at least should be a solid starting quality PF for his career.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Nothing about Patterson's game says small forward. He plays like a soft PF. He can't guard 3's and he doesn't handle the ball or play like a 3 on offense. So how exactly is it obvious that he should be a 3/4?

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Patterson looks like Goliath and plays like Jane.

That said, he is one of the best pick and roll defenders in the entire NBA. It remains to be seen If he will ever get the confidence to finish and rebound like a man. I would have ZERO problem with Daryl Morey picking a PF in the upcoming draft, If he thinks the best player is there. Scola, Patrick and Donuts are not overwhelmingly special, in my opinion.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

Classic

10. HombreDeHierro

his lateral quickness is ELITE for a guy his size...

did you see how he got switched onto Marcus Thornton on the perimeter at the end of OT last night? I thought we were toast but PPat stuck on him and forced a contested 3. I really thought Thornton was going to fake the drive, step back, and get an open 3.

His vertical quickness is pretty good too...he had a game saving blocked shot, and another clutch one yesterday...

I think with him its all a mental thing. He's a humble, nice, strong, silent guy. I think his natural tendency is to be a little timid... but something yesterday was different. I think he was super motivated to show Demarcus who is boss

11. Mariachi ROCKET

Double P hands down!

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

They are both mediocre.

13. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

I think that's pretty much sums it up...notice he started playing sub par after the clippers game and then his comments, plus the fine. He's good now. I think this team is getting tougher and learning to play through the non calls and letting the game come to them. They are in every game it seems.

14. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Patterson is a solid role player

take it from me man, dont come here and expect Donatas Motiejunas to come over and dominate his first season in Rockets red. What other european player has done that. Chances are that Motie will be a bust than better than either Hill or Patterson

Im not saying that as a fan hating on Motie.. but European players havent had too much success in the NBA, so i will use the same analogy many white fans in the NFL use when regarding Black QB's. They suck until they prove me wrong. Warren Moon was a good qb, as was Steve McNair but they didnt win anything. Dirk won last year, but would have been in a Game 7 if not for Jason Terry's clutch play in game 6. I think Dirk was 1/12 in the 1st half.. or something like that

Its not a fair assesment but for now thats how it is

15. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

Lol. This post is a joke right?

16. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

nope its pretty fair and accurate

17. Red&BlackPudman

There are plenty of Euros that have done really well in the league. Just look at Tony Parker, Manu, Dirk, Pau, Peja, and Vlade. Four of them were major contributers in getting their teams rings. Three of them helped get multiple rings.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The way you said it makes more sense, he plays a very soft PF....which is what I was meaning when I said he was more of a tweener, a guy who plays more like a SF on the perimeter than a PF on the low block.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

DD

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Needs go to moves on offense other than that sweet mid-range.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He has post moves. His timing has just been off all year, hence the horrible shooting percentage. Never once has he been blocked though, and he doesn't look clunky like Jordan Hill or just plain slow like Thabeet. He's rushing things, that's what he's doing. He's hardly ever blocked. He can get his shot off when he wants. He gets good position. He's doing everything right except the timing of his hooks are off and he's still too scared to use his turnaround jumper so he can get a fair look at the basket before he lets go.

Watch this guy next year. The flashes that we see game in and game out today will transform into consistency which will then make him a go-to level of player. I'm not saying he'll turn into Karl Malone or Charles Barkley, but I definitely think he can surpass what Landry gave to us at his peak (if you consider offense + defense). He's got more physical tools than Landry, that's why.