1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Rockets honor 90s team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 22, 2012.

1. jocar

jocar Member

I was at the game, and it sounded like OT got the 2nd loudest cheer next to Hakeem. Was really surprised, and I wish he coulda been there to hear it

2. what

what Member

Most people in Houston don't even remember OT, nor do they remember anything BEFORE the championship years.

But even before the first championship, OT was the heart and soul of the team behind Hakeem. He and Hakeem has great chemistry (and this began WAY BEFORE the championship year).

3. what

what Member

forgot to add:
    Do people even realize anymore that OT was with the rockets for 4 years BEFORE the championship years began.

4. what

what Member

you don't know houston basketball history to say this. I can almost guarantee you didn't watch the rockets BEFORE the championship years. You might not be old enough to have seen the championship years.

I'd put Otis ahead of everybody on that list but Hakeem. Clyde, Smith, Horry and Elie are all good players, but Otis was there from the beginning and it ain't even close.

5. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

Thanks for posting the videos. I don't come on the site as often as I used to but I see the incessant bickering is still abundant. I'm living in Perth now and couldn't be at the game but my parents went and I hope they enjoyed it as much as y'all did.

Thanks again for the videos.

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Who were the 3 other fellows: Max, OT & Cassell? What did he say about them :( and why did they cut him off there, ******* fox sports, my20 back in the day would've shown the whole thing:mad:

Thank you very much for this upload!

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I suspect age is a reason for omitting OT. He was an all star too.
    OT was the first piece of Clutch City heroes that surrounded Dream and gave him confidence in his teammates again (post Sampson).

OT was beyond solid, he played every damn game, there was no DNP in OT.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Those fans were idiots. On pure TALENT, Thorpe ahead of Elie and even Horry by a MILE.

Hakeem
    Thorpe
    Kenny
    Horry
    Elie
    -
    Maxwell
    Cassell

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I was too young to really remember what OT brought to the Rockets (was only 9)...but i have the 93-94 Championship DVD's.... this dude was a beast! Taller version of Chuck Hayes, with the ability to score and dunk!

10. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

OT is the first guy that should've been in with Olajuwon. Those 2 guys were like a twin towers part 2, he was that big. Bigger version of Hayes?? Come on man, OT was on another level and should've been an All-Star in at least 3-4 years.

Without OT there is no 90s success and since he lives in Texas, they could've at least invited him and go out of their way and honour six guys!

11. what

what Member

I'll never get over the fact that they sacrificed Thorpe for the second championship. The guy laid his blood for that team for 5 years before that Championship run and that traded him like it was nothing. And now when kids talk about Clutch City, all they remember is Clyde the Glide. It's a damn shame.

Thorpe is almost a footnote in Basketball history in general, but I remember a guy who was one of the best defenders, tenacious, offensively and defensively.

It was dumb to have a fan vote for this anyway, they should have brought back every key player. But know your history: Thorpe was one of the greatest rockets players of all time and he WAS clutch city far more than Clyde was. Not taking anything away from Clyde.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OT started every game for 6 years plus. 82 games every year, you knew that OT would start.

That's unheard of now.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I'm conflicted. I LOVED OT's game, toughness, and professionalism. People forget how good of a player he was before he even got to Houston. But they don't win the second title without Clyde. That being said, OT & all of the key guys from those years should have been there. The thing I loved most about those teams there were no "ifs", excuses or moral victories. They busted their asses around Dream34 and won H-Town 2 titles. Houston owes all of them gratitude & respect.

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Me neither, and the whole team wasn't happy about it. They felt they were fine, despite having an up and down season. I think they brought in Drexler also to please Olajuwon a bit.

In hindsight, even with that great run and winning another championship, I would not have traded OT for Drexler. With OT, Horry could've stayed at his natural position and 95-96 we could match up with Sonics (argument here for trading for Barkley). Who knows, Leslie might not have decided to bring in the payamas had we not won another championship.

I also do not like how easily people forget the first championship, not just winning that throphy but the whole season. Olajuwon winning everything, 22-1 start, sharing that MVP with everybody which they did remember in the chron article, much respect!

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Better to come 1st once than top 2-4 several years in a row (lol @ utah)

As for the team, Olajuwon obviously, then Smith and Horry (starters on both champ teams).

then it comes down to the last 2 spots, I'd go Thorpe (over Elie) and Drexler (over Maxwell).

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not to take anyway from Thorpe who was a great player and a great Rocket but Clyde's number is retired not just for winning the second championship but for being a Houston legend with Phi Slamma Jamma.

As far as trading Thorpe for those who are old enough to remember, wow I sound like Deckard, the Rockets didn't want to trade him but the team was in a funk and needed something radical. Clyde at the time was a superstar who had taken Portland to two Finals but he wanted to come back home and get a ring with Dream. He was very hungry both from not getting it in Portland but also because he felt that a championship with Dream was something unfinished from UH days.

Also remember that after he got here Clyde had to carry this team for awhile when Dream went down. Thorpe was a great player but I am not sure the Rockets win the second championship without Clyde.

I am only disappointed the Rox couldn't win a few more Clyde and Dream, or at least get to the Finals again.

17. coweye

coweye Member

Thanks for the upload.It's really sad they honored just 5.OT was mentioned Sam, Vernon as well.They should've honored 10 especially after 2 Championships in the 90s.The best part of the second video was when they asked if they should bring Hakeem back as a coach. Definitely yes!!!!!

18. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

First of all, I don't disagree with any of the selections...but I'm just wondering why Barkley's not getting any love. He's not even getting any mentions anywhere. Sure they didn't win the title, but those teams with the Big 3 weren't exactly slouches.

19. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Otis had some mitts on him. He could easily palm the ball and dunk it with either hand. Great compliment to Akeem the Dream. To me they were the twin towers of 90's much like Hakeem and Ralph was in the 80's. one of the most underrated players in nba history to play the power forward position. Now we're stuck with flop griffin and cry baby bosh. There's a reason why they call it POWER FORWARD. Man the F*** up!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bxc5-u02Jq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#39 got em COACH, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  20. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Any chance Clutch or some1 close to the organisation can contact them about putting up the full ceremony? They owe us who couldn't be there or live abroad. Fox Sports cutting off Bill was just disrespectful.