1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012-2013 Texan Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Texans have raised the bar.
    Now they have to live with it.

No matter what happens from here on
    There is not the expectations of 10-6
    [from me]

Do you agree or do you think it is ok to step back to 9-7
    because they lost players or some other reason?

Rocket River
    No Excuses

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

All that matters is that they remain better than the Titans, Jags, and Colts.

I just hope they don't get too complacent and think that Schaub's return will fix everything or that we filled our injury quota already. Guys always get hurt. You always have to keep improving.

Looking forward to the draft.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

They should do the same or better than last year. The division is just as winnable as last year.

If they have the same number of players step up as they did last year (Barwin, Reed, Watt) then they should improve. We lost some good players, but outside of Mario none were true impact players. And Mario didn't even play the last half of the season.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

For me, the expectation is first place in the AFC South - not so much a specific record. The Texans are in far better shape than the three other teams and have Schaub returning. No excuse not to win the division and host at least one playoff game.

Beyond that, I think predicting an actual W-L mark is difficult. I think the Texans will have a better team in 2012 than 2011, if Schaub stays healthy, but adding the NFC North to the schedule (with 3 potential playoff teams) doesn't help. You also have Denver on the slate and they added Manning. It's things like that that make it where your divisional rivals are the only ones with the same quirks that you have. Plus, there might be a situation like this past year where the final game is an automatic loss because we play backups with nothing on the line.

As far as the playoffs, I'd like to have home-field advantage and/or a bye. But it's not necessary, as proven by the Giants, Packers, Cardinals, etc. Just get in the dance and hope you're healthy and playing well at the right time. That's all there really is to it.

Winning your division guarantees you at least one playoff game, so I think that's the biggest goal. If the Texans do that - and there's no reason they shouldn't - I'm happy with them, whether it's 9-7 or 14-2.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I need more time. Need to see what kind of talent they bring in and how they spend their first 3 picks. I don't see a rookie WR, CB, or OT contributing much this year, so how they spend those picks will matter. Also, the schedule is way tougher in terms of opposing QB talent, something the Texans lucked-out with last year -- our opponents' QB's were "meh".

#5 Ziggy, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  6. conquistador#11

12-4 afc champions!
    probowl absentees: Schaubie, andre, foster,brown,owens,cushing, swatt, smith, joseph,GQ, Barwin and kubiak.

yeah, i had them 12-4 last year also. in my defense, that fatty haynesworth threw a monkey wrench on that prediction.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

9-7 and win the division, don't win any playoff games

We've lost too much this offseason to be Super Bowl contenders. It's really depressing.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I think that's a bit knee jerky reaction.

Really, any prediction is until training camp starts.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think RR is asking for expectations, not predictions.

Exactly. I don't think losing Jason Allen and Matt Leinart is going to destroy our SB hopes for next season.

I expect us to win the division again. Truly, that division should be ours for the taking for the next 2 years as j-ville and indy rebuild and we should be able to hold off the tennessee twats for another year or 2.

10. BlackHalo

BlackHalo Member

Not really, they will be fine. They have wholes to fill but we haven't even had the draft. This team almost beat the Ravens with T.J. Yates as the QB, if we are healthy going into the playoffs next year there is no reason we can't make a run at a super bowl.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

People overestimate the difference between Yates and Schaub.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

13. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Are you saying there is not that big a difference between the two?

Winning the division and getting to the AFC Championship game. I think we should have gone that far last year and anything less should be a disappointment.

Wrong place to put this, but I want to go on the record now and say the Chargers win the AFC West next year ahead of the Broncos.

14. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

You, Moes, and TracyMacAdidas should have a tip jar bet for the AFC West.

15. 713

713 Member

6-10
    titans win division with 9-7 record.
    kubiak and rick smith gets fired. wade phillips gets HC. Schaub wont play all 16 games and wont get resigned...Finally, the Texans go into next offseason looking for a new qb.

16. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

AFC South champs again
    Lose to Patriots in AFC Championship game
    Pro Bowl: Schaub, Foster, Cushing, Watt
    Foster- MVP finalist

17. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

I'll do $20 to the tip jar if the Chargers don't win the division.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm with emjohn, The Cat, et al - record is irrelevant; AFC South crown or bust.

What makes you think they'll be complacent? They're obviously going to look for difference makers in the draft (the Ryans trade underscores the obvious value they put in it) and there'll always be street guys out there, especially post-June 1, who they can add later (ie Vickers last August).

Schaub returning to health is huge. Same with AJ. If that happens, if they draft well (and Kubiak has only really had one bad draft: '07), tweak the roster smartly... no reason to think that with Phillips getting his defense for an entire offseason and the guys having a year already under their belt, that they can't be as good, if not better, than 2011.

The single biggest offseason issue was resolved with the signing of Foster. Winston and Ryans were good but replaceable; moreso for Briesel and Allen. It feels like the team is being gutted but very few of the moves have been indefensible.

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Expectation is to win the whole ******* thing. Anything less and Rick Smith should be fired for not improving this team while the AFC window is open and we have the talent that we have right now.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]