1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boxscore Performance Charts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You know what these charts show???

Dupication, duplicity, repetitiveness.

By the way, you should show Bud against Martin and Lee against Parsons since essentially Bud gives you scoring when Martin doesn't and Martin scores when Bud doesn't. The SG/SF thing isn't necessarily accurate. Even though Lee is close enough.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can you elaborate a bit? Maybe I can improve them.

3. deshen

deshen Member

I use a very simple equation to evaluate the offensive efficiency for a player.

Points-(FGA+FTA)

most of players have negative value.

4. durvasa

You are penalizing players who score a lot of points from the free throw line. I suggest you change that to:

Points-(FGA+0.5*FTA)

If a player goes 5/10 from the field, and 8/10 from the free throw line, that's pretty efficient. By your formula, the rating would be -2. By the adjusted formula above, it is +3.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't see that this needs to be improved. I think it tells a pretty simple story about our team. When one guy ain't getting it done, plop, on the bench you go and we get the exact same production out of somebody else. All your matchups are perfect except for the SG/SF matchups. Martin and CBud's games are much more similar than Martin/Lee's or Parson/CBud. The problem with our team is the spikes aren't frequent enough and the means and extremes add up to.....mediocrity.

I like your data and charts. Especially on the defensive side.

6. deshen

deshen Member

My reasoning is that every FGA has 40% to 50% opportunity for 2 pointer, and 33% for long ranger to score, or one point in average, every FTA has 80% to 90% opportunity to score, so approximately I take it as 1 point. The lower your FG% and FT% are, the more likely you would have negative value.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But even a bad FT% (e.g. 60%) is much higher than a normal FG%. Therefore, the more a player goes to the line, the more efficient he is in scoring.

But if your purpose is to measure a player's skills rather than his production, then your reasoning makes sense.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Drawing contact often is also indication of skills though (although one could argue that it's also an indication of bad defense). For example, a good player who drives right past his defender and the help defender is forced to foul him so that he doesn't get a layup. Wouldn't the offensive player in this case be penalized for good offense?

9. durvasa

Here's an update to the PG chart to include the recent Dragic surge:

[​IMG]

So, even with Dragic shooting lights out from the field as a starter at what is probably an unsustainable rate, his overall per-minute stats -- using game score rating -- are at about what Lowry has done during multiple stretches this year.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Durv, I've always had an idea of using percentage standard deviation of game scores as a "consistency rating". Do you see any flaws in this logic as a measure of consistency? Only thing I can think of is it's unfair to players who get very inconsistent minutes since that fluctuates the game score. Then again, if they play poorly and get pulled and don't get the minutes, that is a mark of inconsistency... I don't know just throwing out an idea that someone like you can probably execute better than me :)

11. durvasa

I actually once started a thread about this topic a number of years back, but there weren't too many responses. :)

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=113875&highlight=consistency

Minutes is one thing, also it can be argued that standard deviation isn't the best measure of consistency. For instance, a player might be consistently good at home and consistently bad on the road. Maybe his performance is therefore highly predictable. But based on standard deviation, he may look like a really inconsistent player.

It depends on how we want to define "consistency".

12. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Wow, reading that thread, I guess my approach is a bit naive. Did you pursue it any further? Has there been anything like this in the apbr community? I haven't been to that forum in ages.

And lol at Stromile Swift in that thread :p

14. durvasa

For the games where Lowry was out, I substituted his season average.

[​IMG]

#34 durvasa, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  15. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I love both Lowry and Dragic. Based on this graph Lowry is superior to Dragic.

16. durvasa

I did do something subsequently, but its been so long that I don't remember what the results were. Nothing groundbreaking. :)

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good point. Dragic has been inconsistent. He is now in a hot stretch and it can only match what Lowry has done. There's no question that Dragic is not on Lowry's level, at least not yet.

18. denver-rox-fan

Man, really shows just how good Lowry was. Can't wait til he gets back.

I really like Dragic too, but I feel he will always be at his best when given lots of minutes and usage opportunities. When he was coming off the bench he never seemed to give that Jason Terry like spark that the good "microwave" guys have.

PS - Jason Terry is one of my all time least favorite Rockets opponents, but credit where credit is due...

19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol look at Scola on Feb 1. wow

20. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Lee and Parsons have been pretty consistent. Patterson is surging. Dalmbert started taking a nose dive since Feb.

Scola, Martin and Lowry have just been up and down all the way along. How far we go in the playoffs totally depend on these 3.