1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whassup With the Faker Infested Crowd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apollo33, Mar 20, 2012.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I guess some people assign a greater value to success and championships than loyalty...

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

In my section, the Laker fans seemed to have orgasms every time they scored, its was pathetic. Didn't have to be a Sportscenter highlight, the first jump shot they scored by Pau, everyone of them were on their knees already about to go at it....

The win just made it that much sweeter......

and to those who think this only happens here and not in NY/Boston? Must've skipped the Lakers/Knicks game beginning of Feb, plenty of Lakers fans there DURING Linsanity.

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Those Faker fans pissed me off to no end. I wish I was at the game so I could have shoved it in their face when we won. Then again it was probably good that I didn't go to the game because knowing me I would have gotten into a fight with those bandwagon punks.

4. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

Man it really pissed me off seeing this one dude in the lower bowl who would dance and do all this weird crap after everything. He even waved at the lakers like they knew him...anyways i didnt get a chance to see him leave but man if i were there, i would've heckled him to no regard. All that flaunting crap before the final score totally grinds my gears :mad:

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

Kobe is huge in Asia. Lots of asians in Houston. Lots of Kobe fans in Toyota Center. Don't sweat it, at least we are selling seats.

6. houseofglass21

It was absolutely disgusting to hear the Lakers getting louder cheers every time they scored than the Rockets. But it's typical of this city. Houstonians have no pride in their city. They need someone else to tell them what to like. It's the same with the music scene. No support for local artists, they only care about what L.A. or NYC tells them is cool.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I was furious when i herd them chanting for kobe to come back in the game.

8. wiredog

wiredog Member

i live in LA now after having lived in Houston for almost 30 yrs. And it used to be everyone headed out west to find whatever, but now from what I hear, many Angelinos are moving to Texas for better job opportunites, cheaper cost of living, etc etc....so there are more transplants in Texas than ever before....when i first got to LA 2 yrs, people would find out I'm from Texas and say, "you're heading the opposite way!" so that would be my guess....more transplants in Houston for an already globally popular team....

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

How is that not bad? We couldn't freaking sell out for a team coming off the first sports championship in Houston city history. Think about that for a second. The Rockets won the championship, and the following season they were ranked 17th in attendance (capacity not a factor since we weren't selling out). The 34-win Milwaukee Bucks that season had more people than we did.

Houston as a basketball town had always sucked horribly, regardless of era.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went to those games dude. It wasn't bad, I didn't expect a sell out every night. When we played crap teams, it was easy to find tickets, when we played good teams, it was harder.
    The fans were great, they were all into the games.
    I went to Astros games too in the dome. Easy tickets.
    I just assumed that was just the norm.

11. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Houston is a large city. What we are exposed to the daily communications here at Clutchfans will skew our expectations of what we expect from regular fans at rocket home games.

Most us represent a small percentage of die hard rocket fans. This is no surprise really. It happens everywhere.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I was there, too, and it sucked.

13. imatexan

imatexan Member

Not true.

When we played them in the playoffs at Toyota there were very few Lakers fans and they got tons of crap from Rockets fans.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You know, I was just thinking of these exact words yesterday. Where did I first hear this term in my life? Rodney Dangerfield and Sam Kinison, "Back to School". It's the scene that crossed my mind, for whatever reason:

(with thanks to idmb web site)

Professor Terguson: You remember that thing we had about 30 years ago called the Korean conflict? And how we failed to achieve victory? How come we didn't cross the 38th parallel and push those rice-eaters back to the Great Wall of China? [rips a desk apart] Then take the ****ing wall apart
    [shouts] brick by brick and nuke them back into the ****ing stone age forever? Tell me why! How come? Say it! Say it!
    Thornton Melon: [incensed] All right. I'll say it. 'Cause Truman was too much of a *p***y wimp* to let MacArthur go in there [shouts] and blow out those Commie bastards!

15. Garner

Garner Member

Los lakers es el equipo de Mexico

16. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

this...

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Houston simply isn't a basketball city. The rockets have been by far our most successful franchise, but we've never been better than middle of the pack in attendance, even during the championship years. We're usually in the 20's.

We're football lunatics, and we've become a good baseball city when the Astros are competent. Just not a hoops town, despite being a hotbed for the actual playing of basketball, we're not a basketball town.

Astros were top 12 in attendance every year from 2000-2008. Even being a hopeless train wreck the last 3 years, the astros have maintained top 20 attendance.

The Lakers do this more than you would think. They have bandwagon fans everywhere. Any time they go to a city with poor attendance you often here audible cheers for them. I really can't stand bandwagon fans, something about it really pisses me of, probably more than it should. Most of the Lakers fans were Bulls fans in the 90's. Or are in the process of becoming heat fans.

Houston is evolving. A lot of the transplants kids are growing up Houstonians, some of them are still being corrupted by their parents, but most are growing up Houston fans. A local identity is being established.

The rockets haven't made a playoff run in 15 years, the one time we did win a series, our best player was doomed to miss the next season so we really couldn't bask in it. If the rockets have success now i bet our attendance would spike into the top 10.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That was beyond digusting, the wife asked me what they were chanting while we were watching, didn't have the heart to tell her....

I've been to games vs the lakers before and watched plenty more, that was the worse I've ever heard it, like Kam and Dave2000 said, sounded like a road game...

19. Illegal Machine

1) They're the Lakers. They've missed the playoffs less than 10 times in the franchise's history.

2) Bandwagon fans exist everywhere.

3) For every out of state franchise that has a huge following in Houston, you'll find a city with a LOT of companies that have flocked here (LA, Chicago, anywhere in Pennsylvania for example).

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

this does make alot of sense. alot of people are moving from cali to here. So maybe more of them are bonafide fans than before, but that doesn't mean those kobe nuthuggers and faker fans aren't annoying.