1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Morey's Modus Operandi?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

You have no idea where you're posting do you? This is CF, where everybody knows Morey's had 5 years to rebuild since he should have traded Yao and TMac 5years ago.

But because of his lack of foresights, we've been stuck on that mediocre windmill ever since.

2. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Not an exception. Brad Miller, Deke?

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Deke was here well before Morey arrived. Miller was Adelman's pick more than anything. You could probably say his M.O. is not going after vets, more than you can say it is.

4. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Bobby Jackson

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

You're right. I wasn't making an argument towards his preference towards vets. I wouldn't make the argument for either side. He weights each variable for each situation different.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Morey: "Hey Les, I know T-Mac is 25 years old and Yao is 26 years old and an absolute pipeline to the Chinese market...... I know, I know, Yao is the best center in the league and TMac is a top 10 player...... but hear me out, I think we should trade them."

Alexander: "Sorry, was on the phone letting your wife and kids they will be homeless."

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Morey is being asked by Les to do what has never been done before, as an acquaintance of mine just put it this weekend. The fact of the matter is he is trying to create a contender without drafting. This is something that simply just doesn't happen.

He's almost like a junk collector at this point. All he has done since Yao went down is collect "assetts" which equate to other teams' garbage players. All of the 2009 draft busts? Really Morey? Why did they so readily give them up? It's not like they are giving Jeremy Lin up. They are giving up head cases.

The price for a super star is sucking for a year. Period. Anything else is just hoping for luck.

8. TMacAttack

TMacAttack Member

Added some error handling

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is #win

10. ling ling

ling ling Member

Morey was Alex to do more w/ Les.

11. ling ling

ling ling Member

Fixed

12. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

dude. how are they rebuilding? you don't start rebuilding until you lose your all-star franchise player(s). Rockets lost Yao and TMac. and since then we have been rebuilding.

Spurs - manu, duncan, and parker are still on the team
    mavs - dirk is still there

and by the time we are "contenders" spurs and mavs will be rebuilding. i think that is gonna be the cycle for a little while.

13. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

although I believe DM isn't that great, its obvious there are a few things that he does with amazing skill

developing a great bench
    turning nothing into something (thabeet ==> Camby)
    great at drafting regardless of draft position (Parsons, PPat, Brooks, budinger)

once we get that superstar, DM will have no problem building the perfect supporting cast.

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I seriously do not think Morey is doing something magical, out of the ordinary or inventive. The only thing he indeed does is stock up young talent, hoping to find that gem instead of getting that veteran. That is one of his biggest flaws in my opinion because you can do both. 90% of the veterans Morey signed were when his hands were forced (Deke, Brad, Sam & Camby). His drafting is also nothing revolutionary, he just looks at undervalued and undersized guys more than the average gm probably. Talent over size etc.

15. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Beat me to it again.

Someone go tell Memphis to unload all their talent quick. The Gasol, Gay, and Randolph experiment has been cute, but it's clearly time to move on. If any of them get hurt again then hindsight will prove as much. :rolleyes:

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He's a low risk,low medium return, kinda guy to me. He's calculatiing and I guess he will continue to marginaly improve the team. I've notice that he doesn't really trade for guys with more than a couple of years on their deal to maintain flexibility. His plans seems to change like underwear too. In the end,at some point soon,he will probably get fired or not resigned.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Seems like an obvious temporary approach, since we're looking for a star I can't imagine he'd shy away from longer deals, if the team was a clear contender, with a star or stars.

18. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Yup, short-term thinking is his mo, at least until he finds that big star.He stocks up on young talent to hopefully find a gem that he can trade for that one difference maker. Haven't you noticed that all our young guys are eventually traded or offered to other teams?