1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Calls- Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedNation, Mar 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Clips I don't think, and I'm exaggerating here, have won more than 3 in a row, or lost more than 3 in a row. They seem to be treading for what seems the entire season.

2. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Well I just had to check, had a 4 game win streak in there, but my god their WL record is like a checkered board there, w-L-w-LL-w-L-www-L

3. The Drake

The Drake Member

I totally agree that superstar calls exist, but I don't think sheer number of FTAs is the way to prove it. The superstars you listed are just much more likely to handle the ball in crunch time. A somewhat better metric would be to look at percentage of crunch-time drives that end in a foul call. Of course, you would really need to watch every drive and judge yourself whether the calls are legit.

As this thread is showing, it's really hard to *prove* that superstar calls exist except by just watching the game and seeing it happen.

4. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

They are...your in denial but the reality is without the refs help clippers lose that game, and its not so much how many superstar calls are made which it about WHEN!! At crucial times in the game like when we're up with 3 minutes

5. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

I'll throw this out there to, without intention, show that the chart means, well nothing.

Number of games decided by 5 points or less + OT games (thus resulting in crunchtime stats)

Rockets: 12
    Clippers: 21
    Thunder: 15

Now let's look at that, the Clippers have played 9 more OT/5 point games than the Rockets. Hear me out, wouldn't it kind of make sense that given the Clippers penchant to play close games that they would have a better chance of being fouled in a close game? I guess we are to assume that because the Rockets have not had many close games this season (25% of their games as opposed to 47% of Clips games) that the numbers should still be even? That's some grasping there my friends.

6. VBG

VBG Member

The opening post used Per 48 stats.

So no. Your post trying to prove the chart means nothing, is wrong.

7. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Oh wow, I sure hope you're under the age of 16 and people don't rely on someone of your intelligence to handle real world things. A player shooting 23/23 FTs in the closing minutes of a tight game is not a "per 48 stat" because the last 5 minutes of a close game doesn't equate to 48 minutes.....it equates to 5 minutes.....Holy God you have reached a level of stupid that has never been seen on these boards. Take a bow kid, take a bow.

Oh wow man, that's astounding, you took what a player does in the last few minutes of a tight game, which is where the argument lies, and think that the stat is an entire game stat. I literally think you're too stupid for words.

8. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

Yes! They are quicker, so they attack the basket more, and when you're quick, insanely athletic, you're probably going to get a foul drawn.

9. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Intelligent post is intelligent. Look at the second chart.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seriously. I can't remember the numbers but the Thunder have been involved in tons of close games this year and pretty much all the possessions end up being Durant or Westbrook driving.

A better stat would be FTA per FGA ratio or FTA/min or something, contrasted with the "non" clutch sample for each player.

11. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Thank you so much for bringing some much needed reasoning to this thread.

12. RedNation

I don't completely understand what you mean by this. Can you reword it? My brain is dead right now :grin:

13. RedNation

I love how you bash vbg for saying that I used a per 48 stat when I clearly said that my second set of stats was per 48. Your desire to hate on people is hilarious

14. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Superstar calls are a part of the game, if you don't believe that...your just crazy. I really don't care for them but it is what it is.

My problem lies with the game/momentum changing bad calls/phantom calls...

These are the calls that really make you feel like the whole game is a sham or theres some sort of secret mandate.

For instance:

The rockets will be making a run and then there will be like 2 insanely bad calls in a row just deflating the momentum or....

The game will be close or tied last few minutes and then they'll "let em play" when the rockets are on offense but then make the superstar call when the other team is on offense and completely take the game out of the players hands.

^^^ Does those sound familiar?

15. RedNation

It is because the other players are "better and harder to guard"

16. VBG

VBG Member

.....Is this post serious?

I really hope your graduate elementary school and learn how to interpret graphs soon.

Are you seriously brain dead?

Do you not know what PER 48 minutes even means?

The graph equates the minutes played. It isn't a raw number.

I'm really hoping I don't have to explain what stats per 36/48 minutes means.

Because you honestly should go back to school and stop posting on here if you don't know what it means.

I think this might be the worst post I have ever seen on clutchfans and that is saying something. I understand being arrogant when you're right but being a tool when you're completely ****ing wrong?

17. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Are you honestly implying that guarding Lowry and Martin is as difficult as guarding Paul and Parker? I don't even think CoachBadLee would even entertain such an idea and I don't know anyone else here who loves his Rockets more.

18. VBG

VBG Member

I'm sorry. I'm still laughing at this kids insults. He doesn't realize the graph allows for a difference in minutes played but is instead acting condescending and like he's better than everyone.

WHEN HES COMPLETELY WRONG.

Hilarious guy.

19. RedNation

I am gonna put up a vid soon of some "paul calls"

Hopefully that clears this up. For now, don't forget to wear a helmet.

20. VBG

VBG Member

There's no point in explaining stuff to that guy. He'll probably stop posting in this thread once he actually understands the opening post and what standardizing stats per 48 minutes is.