1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9 Months Later: #14 Pick of 2011 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Who would have been the best choice with the 14th pick of the draft?

1. Marcus Morris (I'd still take him)

7.7%
  2. Kawhi Leonard

22.0%
  3. Nikola Vucevic

13.7%
  4. Iman Shumpert

3.0%
  5. Chris Singleton

0.5%
  6. Kenneth Faried

21.8%
  7. Marshon Brooks

30.2%
  8. Someone else

1.1%
  1. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Nice game
    I think Vucevic was the best option
    He will be starting center inthe league
    I don't see a great different between parsons a leonard.
    But
    leonard is younger and parsons iq is higher.
    I thing brooks is the biggest question. He has a lot of potential
    And morris is a big question too. Time will tell.
    Iam happy with donatas

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Faried by miles. That guy is going to be good if he stays healthy. No disrespect to Brooks, he is a good player but I just hate that Morris hasn't played enough minutes to actually have a real judgement. Once Lowry is back and Martin is back, I have a feeling Morris will be sitting at the end of the pine again.

3. Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday Member

I had a look at the 2010 draft to see what would happen if we did something similar there. It's a little early to be comparing Morris with his peers, but we can probably compare Patterson. Here's a list of the players drafted below Patterson who were any good:

18. Eric Bledsoe
    19. Avery Bradley
    23. Trevor Booker
    26. Quincy Pondexter
    27. Jordan Crawford
    39. Landry Fields

I'd take Patterson over any of them. Landry Fields and Trevor Booker are the only two I'd even pause for thought about. And these are the best of the bunch by quite a distance. Fair to say that drafting Patterson was a good move.

ST

2 people like this.
  4. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I think this is an issue of potential versus current production. I believe the Rockets are to have said that Morris would be a good PF but has the potential to become a great SF. So I think they've been developing him to become that great SF. It's too early to know definitely whether he's going to pan out or not.

The flip side is Faried. With 20 minutes a game he's producing 7+ rebounds, 1+ blocks and 9+ points as a Forward. And he's scoring those points about as efficiently as we could ask of him. Give him 36 minutes of playing time, and you're looking at a guy that could be averaging 12-13 boards, almost 2 blocks and 15-16 points a game. He's a qualified starter right now and assuming he keeps up with this production, and doesn't get better as his career moves along, I think it's easy to say that Faried is the extremely safe bet, knowing what we know now.

But I don't think you're wrong either way. The goal of the Rockets with the 14th pick was never to draft another role player. It was an attempt at grooming a star, as a long-term project. And so at this point, the jury is still out on Morris.

That said, I think I'd have to go with Faried on this one.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good post. I agree... I think the Rockets did a terrific job in the 2010 NBA Draft. Patterson is really starting to have an impact... that was a very good pick. They made the right choice after trade-up attempts failed.

I think any GM is going to have some misfires in the draft (if 2011 #14 was even that). My frustration with the team is more with where they're shooting from, which is no one's fault but their own at this stage.

6. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

Marcus Morris

Coach needs to call plays for him specially in the low post and see how he performs . Standing around like Kevin Martin and not being the part of the offense is whats happening.

I blame Kevin Mchale for not utilizing him properly as he seems to have a very decent low post game.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I mean, let's just assume we picked someone else. Like Brooks or Kenneth Faried.

We are going to have to make the assumption that these guys also won't get buried deep in the bench behind the current rotation players.

Honestly, I would see how well Morris plays when he is given consistent minutes before deciding. I mean all the guys listed have significant advantage over minutes played.

8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Vucevic. People here would've acted like it was the end of the world if Morey picked Kenneth Faried (undersized PF), even though he has turned into quite a good, young player.

9. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

with the way martin is playing.......................

Brooks, even though i voted to vucevic

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I voted Marcus just to be a homer and show some love for our guy, heh... but if I'm gonna be honest, I think I gotta go with Faried. I haven't actually watched him ALL that much, but what I have seen, I've liked quite a bit.

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I just realized there're so many good players after 14th pick last year, and we are talking about even deeper draft class this year? Rather than remotely possible to sign Deron Williams, I'd prefer to use up cap space and add another 5 first round picks like we just did.

Imagine if we have all these guys at rookie contracts...we are talking about instant rebuilding without a lottery pick!!!

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If everything stayed in the same order:
    14:Vucevic
    20: Fareid

There is a chance Philly would have taken Fareid, so Brooks would be my next choice at 20. To make sure you get Fareid you have to take him at 14 and Brooks at 20, because Vucevic was drafted at 16 by Philly and they might have drafted Fareid if Vucevic was off the board.

Why not Donatas at 20? Always go with proven NBA talent.

14. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

I agree with you clutch . Players are picked high mainly because of potential. If we redo this draft again , most GM's will still pick Marcus Morris (with star like potential) over Kawhi (Battier potential) or Nikola V (NBA Starter potential)

15. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Marcus Morris has star potential only at this board, just like V-Span had, or Ariza or Jordan Hill or whoever else

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I personally thought we were going to end up Faried, was surprised we didn't. That said, its extremely hard to judge a player in one year, especially on the Rockets. Need to wait till atleast year 3.

If you must, any cred lost on the Morris pick, is instantly earned back by the Parsons pick.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Brooks would have been buried behind Martin and Lee. Vucevic should have been the move.

18. gah

gah Member

There are plenty of examples out there but Jermaine O'neal is the most extreme case I can think of: 4 years barely having chances in Portland.
    Considering the things you have declared about the first one, and how the second has outplayed him, is it really that surprising to you?

This guy was a lottery pick for his potential at SF, MGMT have acknowledged that much. I saw a picture where he looked leaner than Chase out there, unless you mean playing him at PF in limited situations, I think that boat has sailed for now.

And this is the reason why Marcus hasn't gotten much of a chance: He is an experiment, and is barely entering the real human testing stage in these days. Because it can get underwhelming, I keep watching his highlights to remind myself why he is worth the investment. Hopefully they'll keep giving him at least 15 minutes for the sake of bringing him along.

I'll abstain from voting, but if Morris wasn't an option I would go with Clutch's pick (I knew from the praise that this was going to be his choice when I saw the poll). You know your team loves you when you make their recently re-signed star player expendable.

1 person likes this.
  19. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Brooks because that dude is gonna be one of the best scorers in the league for years.

20. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Marshon BY FAR