1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about LAN gaming.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by James Gabriel, Mar 19, 2012.

1. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Come September, my cousin wants me to buy a copy of "Borderlands 2" for him for his birthday. Says he likes it for the campaign coop gameplay that he can share with his 2 younger brothers, since they have like 3 pcs and a laptop at home.

Silly as it may sound, My question is, if i bought one copy, is it enough for 3 or 4 computers using a LAN?

To be honest it has been a long time since i played an FPS (Counter Strike Beta, circa 1998, and Counter Strike was free back in the day.) So i am not quite familiar with how FPS multiplayer games go about these days especially for a LAN setting.

2. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

One copy should be good enough for LAN

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't think it will allow you. You can try it though. Haven't tried any LAN gaming since living in a dorm in high-school.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Some games offer LAN play where you only need one disk. I'm assuming that is what he meant. I know Diablo II for sure did this, you could spawn multiplayer games from one disk as long as you were connected in a LAN.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

A lot of the newer ones won't let you do it anymore. Starcraft 2 required you to all have a copy and access the Internet too.

6. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

Well from what I've read, Borderlands 2 is going to be a Steamworks game meaning you will have to register the game with your Steam account. That means you'll have to have a unique copy (CD Key) for each account.

However, Gearbox has said in a recent release that Borderlands 2 will have an Offline LAN mode. I don't know if Valve fixed this, but my friends and I were able to circumvent the need for multiple games (that had an offline LAN function) by using Steam's offline mode. One person who had the game installed would switch to offline mode and the next person would log in to the same account and download/install the game. Then that person would switch to offline mode and so on. You could have multiple people logged into the same account as long as only one was in online mode at a time.

With that being said, since Borderlands 2 is a Steamworks game it will have Steam Cloud sync for game saves. I'm not sure how that will work with multiple people on the same account in offline mode, but I'm guessing saves are just stored locally in offline mode.

Source: http://www.borderlands2.com/loveletter?x

7. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'll take a look more closer and try if i can find some work around should the "1 cd" approach becomes hard.

Man i really miss the old days, friends and i used to hit the LAN gaming shop right after classes and play Half Life, CS, Starcraft, Quake, C&C, etc.

No need for a strong internet connection and a subscription. :D

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Apparently the first game does allow one copy to play on lan if it was a disk copy. Digital download from steam or other places might not work though, and just because it works, doesn't mean it is legal, if that matters to you.
    Here is the info I found.

Probably won't know about borderlands 2 until after it has released, and some one tests it out. Based on comments it seems like something that works unintentionally and not a feature that would be advertised.

9. dialtone888

dialtone888 Rookie

Bump this thread cuz I just pre-ordered BL2.
    You can't use one copy for multiple computers and log on at the same time.
    For any copy(digital or physical) you need to log into your Steam acc and activate it.
    The activation code will expire after use... sooo my guess is that you can't.

Steam: leoo2000