1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Star Votes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DUCK2324, Dec 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

If I could make this my sig, I would.

Pugs

#21 pugsly8422, Dec 12, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2002
  2. rickylee888

rickylee888 Contributing Member

Don't forget all the Chinese and non-Chinese fans out there voting for Yao in all probability is choosing Stevie as one of the starting guards. I know that's what I've been doing for the past tens times I've voted so far. And I'm not even being close to done! The Franchise and The Dynasty, both in the All-Star game.
    Oh yeah!

3. joe the joker

joe the joker Member

It's a shame to have so many duplicated votes for Yao from China,as I feel.
    Yao is a terrific center and does have allstar caliber - but why should we Chinese be so anxious to make so many duplicated votes? I don't know how the other guys feel but it just sounds like cheating to me!

Any way,the good side is: people can now see the fact that basketball is really a widely accepted game in China:p

4. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

It doesn't matter if he is not voted in. At the very least he's a lock for the rookie game.

5. joe the joker

joe the joker Member

BTW,The best SG of the Western is definitely Kobe and Finley.
    There's no chance for Mobley,though I like him as a ROX fan.

6. Possum

Possum Member

Who wants to bet? I say if Ming wins and is the starter, Shaq will pout and act like he's hurt and sit out the all-star game.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

To all Chinese fans:

Don't worry about him being "worthy" of the honor. Grant Hill and Alonzo Mourning were voted in as starters despite never playing a game. Kobe Bryant was voted in as a 19 year old when he wasn't even starting for his own team. Michael Jordan was voted over MVP runner-up Jason Kidd last year.

Whenever any league makes all-star voting a fan choice, they know right then and there that they aren't going to get the best players. No matter how you think, it's not ever going to be who deserves it, and I'd rather a few "undeserving" Rockets over a few undeserving players from other team.

Stuff the boxes, and let's make sure Yao starts.

8. Timing

Timing Member

The Cat is right. Fans of every team stuff the boxes and there is no reason why we shouldn't do the same. Having Yao Ming starting with Stevie would be great visibility for the Rockets. Vote vote vote!!!!

9. JING

JING Contributing Member

To vote or not to vote is a hot topic in debate at most Chinese BB forums, some ppl like Joe worries that too many Chinese fans voting Yao will anger US media and fans and cause backlash. I agree with the Cat though, we as fans suppose to stuff the ballot with votes for the player we care. It is what ASG all about. If we don't vote for Yao, they then media will just be convinced that Chinese ppl don't give a dime about BB. I am voting Yao and Steve about 10 times a day. We gonna have 2 all stars this year!
    GO ROCKETS!!

10. Possum

Possum Member

The All-Star starters will be announced on Jan. 23 and the All-Star reserves will be named on Jan. 30. I would imagine this is what the starting team will look like. Anyone notice that 4 of the 5 play in Texas? :eek:

T. Duncan
    San Antonio Spurs
    Forward

D. Nowitzki
    Dallas Mavericks
    Forward

S. Francis
    Houston Rockets
    Guard :D

Kobe Bryant
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Guard

Y. Ming
    Houston Rockets
    Center :D

11. The Cat

I'm pretty sure Garnett will start over Nowitzki. I'm not saying he deserves to, but he's started for the last 3 or so years, and the fans don't seem to change their minds that often. :(

12. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

I cannot agree with you anymore.
    It's only a popularity vote. If Yao Ming were not voted in, all the Yao-bashers and Rox haters would say:" Ha, give me a second, Yao Ming is not in? Even with 1B people in his home country? It turns out this guy is not popular at all, or nobody in his home country cares about basketball at all. What a joke."

13. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

I think there is nothing wrong with voting several times for a player, as long as the rules allow so. It shows that we care more about this player. I went to a few Lakers' (Yes, it's true. My wife likes them even though I hate them) and Clippers' games. At least the guys handing us the ballots told us clearly to vote for their players only.

14. sncns

sncns Contributing Member

Possum, I think you're right on. Nowitzki may overtake Garnett this year with Dallas' success.

15. kinggeorge821

kinggeorge821 Member

I think that Yao winning the all star ballot for center would be a true kick in the butt to "home-grown" basketball stars.
    Basketball used to be dominated by the US, but as we saw over the summer, European teams can now beat the US at their own game.

A vote for Yao carried by China would be a good indication that the international basketball scene is catching up.

FYI, Shaq didn't even play in last year's All-Star game. He didn't play on the US team. I don't think he cares much for either one. So why give him an honor he obviously doesn't appreciate? I know he was 'injured' but I really think it was to probably get extra rest for whatever ailment he had. They still went on to win the title, so I question how truly injured he was.

16. cas

cas Member

"If Phil Jackson doesn't get chosen as coach, I won't play in the All-Star game."

Anyone else thinks Shaq will say that?

17. The Cat

Nah, cause he can't be chosen as coach. :)

Coach goes to whichever team has the best record in late January, and that obviously won't be the Lakers. But, if Nowitzki is out for a while, and the Kings lose some games here and there... maybe we can make a push for Rudy.

18. GAKF

GAKF Member

OK, about the All-Star voting:

1) The NBA clearly knows that fans may vote for their favorite players again and again, but the league allows fans to do that (actually that's what the league wants, showing how much fans love the NBA game). So nothing is wrong if we vote our players multiple times.

2) Please don't dream Cat and Kenny will become an All-Star because the Chinese fans may vote them besides Yao Ming and Steve. No. According to my discussion with Chinese fans, they really dislike Cat and Kenny very much for their selfish plays.

3) I don't think the NBA can change the voting rule now because the league has to change the rule before the start of the voting or stick to what it is.

19. walterw

walterw Member

I would like to see West play this lineup at least for a minute or two: Shaq, Yao, Duncan, Dirk, Garnet.
    They will play vollyball type on offensive end, and keep the east squad shooting from perimeter bricks on the defense :)

20. cas

cas Member

hehe i sure hope so! :cool: