1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    EAST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the Pacers avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets Vs Lakers!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glyyde, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Axerod

Axerod Member

YM should do fine on the offensive side but I'm worried about shaq's elbows, shoulder and the ref's stupid calls when Yoa's on defense. Yao Ming will learn how to play shaq just like he learned how to play against, TD, Robinson and Divac. What's up with calling Shaq, Shark? Have I missed something?:confused:

2. superpro

superpro Member

If I were Rudy, I would send Cato in first to wear Shaq a little down in the first and first half of the second quarter, and send Yao in during the second half of the second quarter.

This will give Yao and the Rox a better chance to win.

3. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Nap! Shaq is far more than just power over people. That was the old Shaq 3, 4 years ago. The dude has some nice low post moves people often over looked because of his power game.

IF the rockets go to Yao often at the begining of the game, the guards make some quick cuts, hit open shots, then I think Yao will fake & pass like craze, Shaq will look totally confused, get into foul trouble in the first quarter.

On defense, the Rockets will play a soft zone defense to tight up the middle, that will limit the Lakers to mostly an outside shooting team, which they havn't be able to hit any shots this year.

I'll give the Rockets a 80% chance to win since the Lakers have been playing terrible laterly.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

One on one, Yao can't defend Shaq, and Shaq can't defend Yao.

I'm sure the Rockets will double team or zone Shaq. And if Shaq is too proud to let his teammates double team Yao, we'll have the advantage.

5. bblewis

bblewis Member

It's NOT about YM vs Shaq. It is Rockets vs Lakers. I don't think YM would mind being schooled by Shaq, say foul trouble, the 1st time they play against each other if Rockets win the game. That's why Yao is so special, IMHO.

6. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

Ming's FG % isnt won Hands down. He is shooting 59% from the field while Shaq's career is 57%. Thats not hands down to me. As far as assists, Shaq is averaging 1 more assist per game too.

I am sick of everyone saying anything about Shaq and Ming in the same breath because frankly, he ISNT there yet..or anywhere close.

Shaq averaged 23 points 13 rebounds and 3.5 blocks a game in his rookie season. Is Ming doing that???

7. heech

heech Contributing Member

Well, in his last 4 games (after the Rockets took advantage of 4 off-days to retool their offense to focus on him, which will be the strategy the rest of the season), Yao's at:

19.5 ppg, 14.5 rbp, 2.75 blocks, 1.5 apg.

So, yea, I'd say he's performing pretty close to that level. You've been on Yao's case since week one of the season, but I have to say I'm amazed you can keep up this tune even after the performance the past two months. Please do check in every week for the rest of the season... don't disappear again when Yao really does start passing up Shaq's rookie season #s.

8. declan32001

declan32001 Member

This topic is a month premature, and given Yao's progression rate that should make everyone here very happy.

Easy is right about Shaq not being able to guard Yao one-on-one. And I imagine we'll see a lot of high-post offense (which Shaq hates and whines about). What is interesting about this match-up (a month away) is that while it's not realistic to think Yao will outplay Shaq, it is actually possible. And there's no way I would have said that 2 months ago. Yao's just different, and he's proving that more and more. If yao decides to try to get physical with Shaq (just for the experience) it will get ugleee. But Yao's overall game can be effective against Shaq. It will be very interesting to see how Yao responds to this particular challenge, though, won't it?

9. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

having Yao drawing Shaq out of the post makes it a lot easier for the guards already.... with double team, it will be even easier....

about the Shark thing.... I believe its because shaq's nickname in chinese is actually the big SHARK....

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hate Shaq too, but give the man some credit. He uses what he has to his advantage. How is that not using his head? As far as it just being a case of size and no skill, remember Thomas Hamilton? Yeah, he was 7'1 350 too.

Shaq is skilled. He is unbelievably quick for his size. He is coordinated. He even has his own version of the dream shake. Obviously his size is an advantage, but if he didn't have the quickness and footwork that he has it wouldn't work nearly so well. Give the man his due. He may now be on the decline as he's been steadily putting on weight for years and it IS going to inevitably be his downfall, but for years now you could put Shaq on pretty much any team in the league and they would win the championship. Even if it is due to his size alone (and i'm standing by my claim that it isn't.) that's because his size is such a rare comodity.

He's been the most dominant player in the league for at least four or five years now. He was one of the most dominant players in the league the moment he stepped on the court. Can we at least try to put our biases aside and give credit where credit is due? He certainly gave Hakeem credit for schooling him in that finals series and for that alone I think we, as Rockets fans, owe him his due in return.

11. PCMILLS

PCMILLS Member

SFrancis3, the problem with your arguement is 1. Shaq's game is all about the inside game, no middle jumpshot. YM has a great midrange jumpshot which he uses often. Advantage Ming. 2. Shaq in his rookie season practically played every minute unless he fouled out. Ming is lucky if he plays half the game. You can't compare the two. Plus Ming is playing with more true scorers. The Magic had two scorers when Shaq was a rookie, Shaq and Penny. The Rockets already have Steve and Cuttino. Plus, we aren't even halfway into the season. For the first few games, Ming gave us no clue as to how good he was going to be. Just check out his stats game to game and they are on the rise! By the end of this season, you may eating your words!

12. PCMILLS

PCMILLS Member

I'll give some credit to Shaq for using his head during the game, and his huge elbows, and his shoulders, and his 350++ pounds. He does have quick feet, he is coorditated, and he's got good foot work, but that's where I believe his skill level ends. Basketball is a finesse game, and there's not much finesse in treating the game as if you were a defensive lineman trying to get to the quarterback (or in our case, the hoop). Shaq simply manhandles people, and the refs let him do it. In that way, I guess you can say he's using his head. But he still can't drain the middle jumpshot consistently and his freethrow shooting is still atrocious.

13. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

put shooting aside, Shaq does indeed has the best inside game in the whole NBA. I still remember in one all-star game where he lead the break, the defender just ran off for him to dunk..... that shows he has a good handle at the ball also.... really good for a guy his size..... I will give credit to Shaq, he is still, and will be, the most dominant inside player (note : INSIDE) in the NBA for the next few years.....

14. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

I am not a Ming hater. I think 95% of the people on here are overrating him at this point in his career. Yea he has had some good games. There will be bumps along the road and you people will then just say he is still only 22. Granted I like the direction the Rockets are heading, and that Ming could turn into an exceptional talent, he is still not at Shaq's level. I don't care if hes averaged 20-14 over a 4 game span when he became the focal point of the offense. Shaq has put up better numbers than that EVERY year of his career and you people are stating how Ming is already just as good? Please.

15. GreatProgrammer

for this game, i believe the best way is to involve the whole team in the game. shaq & kobe are just tough. but basketball is a group game.

remember after the rox against 76ers, Larry B. said that they played like a bunch of strangers. The Rox could not make lakers playing like strangers, but they might able to play like a better group than lakers.

also i don't think yao will try to against shaq physically. it is not worthy.

16. kbourda

kbourda Member

I'd like to add my two cents to this topic. I feel that Yao will hold his own against the Daddy.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

hmmm..I dont know...I give up. I tried looking in your profile but you dont have your name there...
    i will guess...male...5'8"...brown hair...
    :confused: :p

18. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

Yao probably won't win if you compare stats line verse Shaq. I had a feeling that Yao will do other things to help the Rocket win. Shaq might win the battle but the Rocket will win the war. And I think if Yao can do that then he is just as valuable if not more than Shaq. Personal stats mean nothing if your team lose.

19. Texas11

Texas11 Member

Wow, lots of people are expecting that game.

Considering the home court advantage, I think Shaq Daddy will possibly get one or two offensive fouls for his elbows, two or three defensive fouls for pushing Yao outside. So Shaq Daddy will be in foul trouble in the first half, but he will come back to school Yao in the 2nd half. Yao will get double-double, Cat will do his best to shut down Kobe (I hope...), but it is Franchise who will bring the victory to Houston. "shut down Kobe", hmmm...I mean...Cat will have Kobe work hard to get 20ps, 5 asts and 4 rbs.:D

20. napster

napster Member

Come on guys. Be real, be a fan of basketball first, and the Rox second. Yao is not near Shaq's level. Maybe (a big maybe) he will be down the road when he develops, but definitely not now.