1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Vs Lakers!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glyyde, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

damn, u guys know how much I am looking forward to this game? Now Yao Ming has proven't he can handle almost all the centers in the game.... and so that leave only Shaq behind......

I just found out that this game will be telecast live in Malaysia!!! MING Vs SHAQ!!!!

who do u guys think will win this matchup? I bet it will be quite a tight one..... if Ming hasn't hit the rookie wall yet by then (which I hope he never will hit it....)

2. zenithnadir

zenithnadir Member

i don't have that high of expectations. Shaq is just as much of a superstar as ming, if not more. Yao also seems to do much better the second time facing an opponent as evidenced by the Kings and Spurs. I expect the first game to be a schooling but the second one to be a very good match.

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong. Who the hell am I?

3. PumperX

PumperX Contributing Member

If Yao plays smart, he might give shark early foul trouble by doing some headfakes and shanghai shakes since shark will be too eager to show he is the #1. However, I will not expect Yao can win this match. He is jsut a rookie after all. When shark met the Dream in his rookie year, he was schooled right?

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I dont see either one of them shutting down the other. Shaq schools Yao the Lakers have the ball. Yao schools Shaq when the Rockets have the ball.

5. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

Since this will be their first match-up against each other, I don't expect too much from Yao. He's also going against the touted best center in most minds. Shaq is just too overpowering, if Yao can just stay in the game without getting too many fouls or worn down by Shaq's play, then I say that's a very good start.

6. MONON

MONON Member

I totally agree!! You can't graduate until you've been schooled! So let's get the schooling over with so Yao can graduate into a shark ..uh..Shaq killer!:D

7. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

Yao Ming has 4 good games in a row and now you are saying Shaq is just as good as Yao, if not better? Come on...get real.
    Shaq has been doing what Yao has done the past 4 games for pretty much the last 4 YEARS!

Ming is not at Shaq's level in anything yet except maybe Free Throw shooting. He could one day be, but he shouldnt be put ahead of Shaq ANYTIME until he reaches his potential.

I hope Ming does well against Shaq, but I wouldn't be down if he has a bad game. It will be a great learning experience. If he torches Shaq, I know this forum will go crazy about how much better Yao is than Shaq.

Crazy.

8. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

there's no maybe here..... Ming wins Shaq hands down..... in FT%, FG%, and probably passing.... but when it comes to scoring, rebounding and dominating, I believe Shaq is still a lot better than Ming......

against Lakers could be the first game where the opponents wun send a double team for Ming, I think Shaq will wants to take him one on one

9. xcharged

xcharged Member

I hope someone shows Ming how to give ground when Shaq tries to bully his way to the basket.
    It would be priceless to see Shaq fall to the ground.

10. PCMILLS

PCMILLS Member

Glyyde, you stated it perfectly. Ming is showing some terrific finesse moves, especially for his size. His passing ability, free throw percentage and middle distance shot are light years ahead of Shaq. Shaq passes alright, but how long has he been in the league. And as for Shaq's scoring ability, I'd say anyone built like him would be able to score like that. He simply runs over people. I don't call that talent. Even at 7'5", Yao Ming doesn't simply use his height to overpower people. He uses his head, something Shaq has yet to learn.

11. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

completely agree.:)

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

all our guy has to do is even up the center mismatch some, then the rest of the Rox can battle Kobe (oops, I mean the rest of the Lakers).

The Lakers greatness starts with such abject domination by MISTER O'Neal that if Yao can even that at all the remaining Good Guys are better than the rest of their guys.

PS Anyone still afraid of Yao facing the Ben Wallace menace???

13. pliu

pliu Member

I hope Yao Ming get as enough lessons as possible
    before the game vs Lakers. If he haven't get enough at that
    time, I wn see him fighting Sharq under the basket, just lured
    him out .

:rolleyes:

14. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

I just wish the refs watch Shaq's elbows.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

don't forget Shaq is on a whole other level than the rest of the nba centers. I think Ming is good but i do not think he is better than shaq.Shaq is still a far way ahead of him.But Ming will get there. But Shaq is still by far the best center.But i don't mind if Ming proves me Wrong

16. snorkeljim

snorkeljim Member

Ha...ha...now this is too much...

I would love to see the Big Aristotle takes Dynasty to school and dunking doughnuts all over his head. But the way Yao play lately, that’s not going to happen. Yao’s passing skills is out of this fricking world and his BBall IQ is truly the different between last year and this year Rockets team (IMHO). Man, I can’t wait for that match-up, but I think the deciding factors going to be Kobe Fricking Bryan, no one on the Rockets squad can stop this dude, he’s truly has the heart of a champion.

17. WLH

WLH Member

As for the Shaq-Ming matchup, it is too bad the officials are such a factor in this league. If Ming can overcome some b.s. calls going against him early in the game, I think he will do fine.

18. Quakes

Quakes Member

I don't think the refs will be a factor in the Shaq-Ming matchup. The conspiracists all believe Shaq gets too much leeway coz he's a supersuperstar (ok he does get away with a lot of crap I admit)... but Ming is coming on really strong in the league and is truly the next generation. On that theory, I think the refs will let them both play. Should be a great game! Ming has no downside... if he gets schooled, no one can say he's a bust coz he's already proven himself and he'll only learn from it as he has shown. If he gets the better of Shaq... well, then we can all start talking Championship in the very very near future.

19. gradyr

gradyr Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The Shark is fearsome, but Yao Ming is fearless!

20. newdynasty

newdynasty New Member

Ming definitely pass better, better court awareness, better shooting touch. Taller too.