1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 GOP Presidential Primary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the TSA and their random grope-downs/naked body scanning of innocent americans might dispute that last sentence.

you are the 75%!!!

2. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

So making absolutely sure your not bringing a weapon or bomb on an airplane constitutes a police state in your mind? Seriously?!?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ohio emerging as microcosm of GOP race

WILLOUGHBY, Ohio (AP) — This state's Super Tuesday primary is proving to be the perfect microcosm of the nation's unruly race for the Republican presidential nomination: Mitt Romney is spending lots of money, Rick Santorum is aggressively courting conservatives and Newt Gingrich is counting on big ideas to swing votes his way.

Of the 10 states weighing in on Tuesday, Ohio offers the hottest contest. And with its diverse population, reputation as a presidential battleground and preoccupation with the same economic worries that nag the nation at large, Ohio seems destined to foreshadow the shape of the campaign as it heads toward November.

Despite the vast territory in play across the country, from Alaska and Idaho to Vermont, Virginia and Georgia, Romney will sleep in Ohio every night until Tuesday. It's that important to him.

Even so, the race was playing out in similar fashion in the other states with contests Tuesday. The former Massachusetts governor and his allies were flooding the airwaves, outpacing his rivals in every Super Tuesday state except in North Dakota, where Santorum was alone on the air but spending less than $8,000. Romney campaigned in Washington on Friday, the day before the state's caucuses, as he closed a Western swing.

Romney has much of Ohio's Republican establishment behind him after years of courting the party's county chairmen and donors.

"When a party chairman gets a call early on from someone perceived as the front-runner and they ask you to sign on as a county chairman, it's easy to say yes and it's hard to say no," said Mark Munroe, the Mahoning County GOP chief who is leading Romney's efforts in the northeastern Ohio county. "We've seen the Romney campaign in action since late last year. He was able to start early and that makes such a huge difference."

Romney's camp insists he does not need to win Ohio to get the presidential nomination or even to keep alive the expectation that he eventually will.

Losing here, however, would drive persistent doubts about the strength of Romney's candidacy. His campaign's schedule — along with TV advertising commitments — shows Ohio is his priority on a day when Republicans in other big states also make their choice. Figures provided to The Associated Press show Romney's campaign is spending more than $1.5 million in television ads this week in Ohio and his allies are on the air with almost $1.5 million. In total, Romney and his supporters planned to spend more than $3.8 million on cable and broadcast television ads.

His rivals dismiss the spending.

"The Romney organization is nothing more than money," said Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine, an early Romney backer who defected to Santorum just as the former Pennsylvania senator's late rise captured the interest of conservative leaders who were lukewarm, at best, about Romney's record.

Santorum and his allies are spending only $796,000 in total on Ohio. Yet a Quinnipiac University poll released Friday found Santorum polling at 35 percent support and Romney at 31 percent support — essentially a tie.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...93xayQ?docId=e7797f22a0a54e7781d8c3902ef6df77

4. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

If Romney loses to Santorum this has to go down as the worst campaign ever!

Still think he wins though.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This is a forum for politics and a presidential primary is as big as they come in politics and you have completely ruined the thread about the presidential primary here. It's unreadable anymore between your posts and the posts responding to you (which defeated the point of putting you on ignore) and where I used to visit several times daily I no longer bother for days at a time. Thanks a lot.

YOU ARE SPAM.

6. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

It's the extent of it and the fact the government is doing it. In Rand Paul's case he refused the pat down/groping because the scanner went off. All he wanted to do was to walk back through the scanner to see what would happen. I believe if he did it again, it went off again, he would've let them go ahead with the search/pat down but he was told by TSA personnel that the machine goes off randomly.

He was suspicious of that and sure enough it didn't go off when he walked back through it.

Pat downs should only be done if the scanners show something. In this case, it showed something on his leg and he pulled up his pants leg and pulled down his sock so they could see nothing was there but that wasn't good enough.

If my son walks through the scanner and it goes off randomly and is required to participate in a pat down it is not justified to me at all that this is what we have to live with now for the safety of everyone. Don't do this randomly, do this when the scanner detects something under your clothing.

7. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Cry me a river batman. Don't get so offended. This is a discussion form, not a place to rant about others.

8. Batman Jones

I'm not offended, I'm annoyed. Same as when I get spam in my email.

9. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Don't we have an "ignore" button somewhere on this CF? Please use that.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

This thread is to discuss the GOP primary, all of Toycen's posts are about Ron Paul... And guess what he's still in the race. If you don't want to read his posts don't read them.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't have a huge problem with ToyCen's posts, if only because Ron Paul has about the same chances as Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum or Newt Gingrich to be the next POTUS.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Why don't you read his post instead of running at the mouth? I've complained of the same thing. It's fine to discuss Dr. Paul and his campaign, but start a thread about it. This is a thread about the REPUBLICAN primary, not the Ron Paul primary. Get a freakin' clue, chump.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i kinda agree with what you said, but you're being a bit harsh Deckard.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i don't think he's allowed to, but please don't encourage.

back on topic, this thread is full of Santorum

15. Batman Jones

I am.

16. NMS is the Best

Dear American Citizen,

You do not need to worry. Even though we have the ability spy on you without a warrant (Patriot Act), Indefinitely detain you w/o trial or an attorney (NDAA), and even assassinate you without due process (Obama Adm) - there is nothing to fear! And please disregard the fact that these powers are unconstitutional - these measures are strictly for your safety. Trust us, we are the government...

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

toycen. ron paul.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If you feel like a little suffering, go back several pages and simply glance over the posts by this fellow and Mr. M, uh, Tennis shoes, no, it's Hightop... yeah, see how many posts are about Ron Paul, and how many are about "The Republican Primary," and then get back to me. This isn't a fuss about posting on the relative merits and various words of Dr. Paul, but rather a wish for the thread to at least remotely be about the topic. I would argue that the vast majority of people here interested in the topic have been incredibly patient for far too long. The two members I mentioned have ruined this thread. It's damn near unreadable.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

20. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Wait I don't think I quite get you. We can discuss videos about Romney from 2002, we can continue to show photos of Rick Santorum sucking on an ice cream cone, and talk about when Gingrich will end his campaign in here but anything related to Ron Paul needs to go in it's separate thread? Just make a disclosure stating that enthusiastic support for your candidate needs to go in it's own thread. Or, read my post instead of running your mouth and use your IGNORE BUTTON!