1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets suffer 40% drop in local television ratings...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Feb 29, 2012.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Looking at the numbers it IS worth noting that we are NOT in the bottom 5 watched teams.

No idea where we stand there, but per number of viewers, we are outside that dreaded bottom 5.

Yes, naturally we lost viewers for the first 'non-Ming' season. But I suppose as so many have said, that's a natural trend.

2. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I think this is a factor too. As FSN is being diminished in order to make room for Comcast FSN is being included in fewer packages. What was once inculded in basic cable you now have to subscribe and pay extra for. There are more than a few factors at work here and our lack of star power is definitley one of them but making the games harder to find hasn't helped.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It doesn't. I enjoy this team.

But this thread is about why people aren't watching...I think that's part of it.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know, just expressing the view that I believe it is a silly reason not to get behind a 21-14, currently tied for #4 in the WC, basketball team. :)

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

wow, madmax in here defending the astros and the fair weathered fans of houston. surprise, surprise

1 person likes this.
  6. htown11

htown11 Member

Clyde Drexler no disrespect from a basketball player standpoint, but as a broadcaster please get rid of him asap.

Revamp the promos, the feature stories etc it's a boring network with limited content.

7. Remix

Remix Member

For a casual fan this team just isn't exciting to watch. Not surprising were at the bottom.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

9. msakes

msakes Member

It's the chinese public who fell in love with Yao and when he came to the Rockets the Chinese public fell in love with the team. However, now that Yao is back in China the chinese public couldn't care less about the Rockets. You can see the diminishing chinese advertisements that used to be all over the arena. In my opinion I bet viewership is only down 8%-10% locally.

Also, I don't mind Clyde doing the color commentating near as much as I mind Bullard's dooshiness. Bullard might be the worst color guy in the history of sidekicks. He tries to make up all these nicknames for everyone and everything, he starts talking about stupid s*** while the game is going on and talks over Bill while he's trying to do the play-by-play, he makes Worrell extremely uncomfortable, he NEVER stops b****ing about the refs (let me, a fan, worry about b****ing about the refs) and he can't go 5 minutes without telling a story about how he and Dream would do this or Rudy T showed him how to do that (We get it Bullard, you were a part of the championship teams, shut up!). I would rather have 2 Clyde's announce the game than Bullard having any part of it.....

ahhhhhhhh, that feels better...

1 person likes this.
  10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Ah, so this is a cleverly disguised pro-tanking thread.

People are stupid. This is nothing new. And Rockets fans (in general... we have some great die-hards on this board, of course) suck. A lot.

That's no reason for the Rockets to try to throw away their team in a lottery gamble. We have something good going here with a lot of potential to build from here. Tanking/playing for a pick is already stupid, but doing so because of bad ratings is on a whole 'nuther level of stupid. That is a stupid, stupid, STUPID reason to blow it up. Once we make the playoffs, and we continue to build from there, the fair-weather, bandwagoning, so-called "fans" will start to come. They always do.

We're definitely not "running in place". By the end of this season, we will have improved each of the last three seasons in spite of the huge amount of adversity the team has gone through, and it looks like we're on track to continue that improvement.

So yes. Stay the course.

11. houseofglass21

Not all cable/satellite carriers have FS Houston. I have Dish Network who had some dispute with FSHouston and the games are only shown on channels 440 thru 450 and then the channel is blacked out after the game. It's a pain in the ass to have to figure out which channel the game is going to be on any given night.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why not just put Don Chaney as commentator?

He seems pretty good during the halftime show and we know he's smart.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I definitely agree and have been doing the same as you. I had only missed a handful of games over the past few seasons, but this year, I have only watched a handful, I just dont find them that fun to watch. I have been watching other teams play more than ever

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Well you guys just suck... *shakes head in shame*

Watching your favorite team win is ALWAYS fun.

16. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

It's kind of disgusting. We are 4th in the Western Conference which is the best we have been for a couple of years and yet no one goes to or watches the games.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Something I've been thinking about too ... he's a little mellow and bland, but he'd do a great job bringing intelligent takes on what's happening in the game and on plays being run.

Calvin was perfect... he was entertaining and provided great takes/analysis. I think Bullard does a good job with the analysis and can be hit or miss on the entertainment. As much as I love Clyde, he really doesn't provide a lot of insight.

Off topic -- remember when Calvin was so excited about Moochie Norris' play he yelled, <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=7665">"He's no camel jockey!"</a> No clue what he meant... we were all wondering if people should be offended or not.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This could possibly change in a week or two.

19. Mr. Space City

clyde is better than bullard.

bullard is a cornball that makes up corny jokes and wack nicknames (chandler bang?).

20. albuster

albuster Member

Great post. I was trying to figure out my own almost disinterest with this team, this year's in particular, and you may have touched on part of the answer. The other reason I have no enthusiasm this year is I have heard bs from the management for so many years and I have had enough talk from them.