1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: Francis is the best guard of NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Part of grasping the NBA is playing 82 games. I wonder if the Rockets have told him about that yet...

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

WindandSea, welcome back. I must say that I was surprised when you said you are a female. But, it was a good surprise.

3. AcBrave

AcBrave Member

Franchies is always better than that 39% shooter :D :D

4. heech

heech Contributing Member

Look at all the Colin Pines out there! Good translation jobs all around.

Yao's definitely talkin' a little trash in the last paragraph... but I think it's like what some of the others have said: Yao talks to this reporter as if he's talking to a friend. The Chinese media isn't quite paparazzi level yet, but hopefully he knows better than to make these types of comments in the English media... Divac would come to the game with war-paint on.

Yao can't expect it all to come easy. Everyone struggles now and then, and Yao will be one of them. Confidence is great, but he needs to temper his expectations a little... expect to play hard every night, expect to improve every night... but don't expect to beat your opponent every night (and certainly not in public).

W&S, ÄãÌ«ÓÐȤÁË! ¸¾Å®Äܶ¥°ë±ßÌì!

5. li_chen18

li_chen18 Contributing Member

This girl, according to some Chinese media sources, is Yao Ming's girlfriend, who is also a player for China WBA.

6. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

I found it is fun to read Ruyun’s translation. You have to understand Chinese first to understand the translation sometimes. It is very mechanical but hilarious. Just a few clarifications:

Quote:
    Yang Yi: ²»Öª×ã, actually did not say from the overall, the judgement already very was good to you.

Yao Ming: This I acknowledge, may say the judgement does not like one beautiful treatment to mine treatment. Already hears the judgement can stare at beautifully tidies up you, Pakistan just came that met the son, looked like every other day is punished, might do not have to me like this. The estimate is my personal connection is quite good, hears hits Dallas time, calf boss storehouse Ban Jiu flushes the judgement side the field shouts: " His where is is beautiful, you simply regard as him the legendary star."

Modified translation:
    Yangyi, com’on, don’t be insatiable, (I think) the treatment from the (NBA) referees toward you is pretty fair.

Yao: Yep, I have to admit that the treatment that I got from the referees wasn’t like not typical rookie (calls). I heard when Bateer joined the league initially, he had been fouled out quite frequently. (Fortunately), I did not receive such kind of treatment from the refs. Maybe I had better personal relations. I heard during the Dallas game, Mav’s owner, Mark Cuban shouted from the sideline (to the referees) : “You guys treated him not like a rookie, but like a legend!”

Glossary:
    Cut fall = destroy, demolish, annihilate, beat, devastate, kill, terminate, obliterate, etc.
    Judgement = Judgment = referee
    Calf boss = Maverick’s Boss = Mark Cuban = Manager from Dairy Queen
    Big Shark Fish = Shaq = Big Shaq
    New Beautiful = Rookie

I visited China this year for a Expo. I am intrigued by rules on my badge:
    Smoking not allowed, smoker will be executed.

Sir Jackies's filtering translation is outstanding!

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I know. And I think she looks young and does not have a daughter since few professional athletes that age have a kid already.

8. WNBA

WNBA Member

This reporter won't creat talks. The reporter and Ming are actually in the simillar age. They'v been good friends for several years. This is a real Ming's talk to his close friend.

Yao Ming said(disagreeing what about Francis on Chinese medias): " Francis has more athletics than Iverson, but,maybe less intelligence or the feeling of the game than AI. SF is one of the best pgs in NBA.

--------" If you continue your show, you will be rookie of the month"
    Ming---" only Month ROOKIE ? @#$@!@#!!@

--------"Again, you are going to face the Kings, do you remember the humilation that Divac gave you?" :D ( the reporter is a bad boy too)

Ming----Look at the my improvements in the 2nd games vs 76er and Spurs, now it is Kings' turn..........I already knew how to deal with Divac. "=I am gona kick his ass

The big guy actually can trash talk, complain referees, bash T-Ma
    c(the fat one),he is very optimistic, ambitious, but only in Chinese.

9. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

In all honesty I doubt this report is real, just my 2 cents.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the best part of the mechanical translation is when "Pakistan" just gets thrown in out of nowhere. hilarious.

also, either yao needs to calm down on the cockiness or that translation isn't what he said cuz he sounds like he owns the nba now or something. also, francis doesn't have as good of basketball sense as iverson, ouch.

11. paxil

If you wanna me to bet a dollar whether this report is ture, or at least undistorted, I will not risk my precious dollar bill. The whole think just did not sound very Yaoish.

I did not Bateer is Pakistanian. I thought he is Danish. :p

12. Earl Cureton

Earl Cureton Contributing Member

hiding your gender? what is this, afghanistan?

thanks folks. i'll be in town all week...

13. paxil

I have to ask my gf, who is Chinese, what is the meaning of "New Beautiful". No way on earth she can link it to "Rookie". Time to show off my Chinese.

14. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

Welcome back. We missed for a while. Who cared about the gender; there is WNBA here anyway. Why shouldn't female enjoy the greatest game on earth.

The other guys who were kidding you more or less because the Western culture is more straight forward than our traditional Chinese and they have a good sense of humour. That is another reason why Yao Ming will have great success here. He has a strong sense of humour not frequently found in traditional Chinese.

I hope that won't bother you in future.

;) ;)

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Although windandsea is a woman, she dropped knowledge better than most so called hoops experts. It doesn't matter what gender you are if you're a student of hoops. My daughter is 11 and can watch and recognize plays better than most grown ass men.

16. paxil

I'd love to see some cockiness from Yao, like:
    I know I am not the skiniest center in the league (after Mav's game)
    And I wish when he meet Shaq, he will look down and say:
    "Are you a point guard"?

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I am very glad to have you back W&S. You always come up with the best Yao Ming goods.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

18 points, 12 boards, just downed the Philly 76ers. 20.3 points and 12.3 rebounds in the past 3 games, Yao Ming is not just the hottest rookie in December, he is in statistics in the whole league second only to the Big Shark O'Neal. It was still late night in Houston, on the other side of the Pacific. The number one pick sounded calm with a hint of excitement.

Yang Yi (the reporter): Three consecutive double-double, and you only played 27 min. against Philly. . .

Yao: MacCulloch is slow. It's easier to play against. The key was the offensive foul in the first Q. I lost lots of PT because of that. I didn't feel that I fouled on that play.

Yang: Don't be to greedy. Actually, the refs are pretty good to you on the whole.

Yao: That I admit. I'd say the officials don't treat me like a rookie. I heard it early on that the refs would pick on rookies. When Bateer first came here, he got called frequently. But they haven't treated me like that. Maybe because I have a more charming personally. I heard that at the Dallas game, Cuban was yelling at the refs from the sideline, "He a rookie. You guys are treating him like a veteran!"

Yang: So, you get more confident, don't you?

Yao: Haha, confidence isn't given by the officials. At the beginning, I just wanted to get 2 points in the game first. If I could get 2 points, I wouldn't not be shut out. But I don't have that longing for relief kind of feeling now. I know I can surely score. Not only score, but score a lot of points. Not only score lots of points, but I can also get rebounds, block shots, assist. I can do many other things. I enjoy every hook shot, every dunk, every beautiful pass. At that time, I know the court belongs to me.

Yang: This confidence, or enjoyment, did it start from the 30-point game against Dallas?

Yao: It's the one before Dallas against the Cavs. Remember in the 2nd Q, I took a one-handed rebound right above the head of Ilgauskas. Grabbing that ball in my hand, I knew that I got the feel.

Yang: At that time, you really got some so-called experience.

Yao: I can't say whether that's experience. But the most important thing is that it's the kind of feel. I know there will be more Chinese to come to play basketball. I have already mentioned to the Rockets boss (ed. Les? CD?) about the two players Tang and Yi. What I want to tell them is that do not play the game as the NBA. Don't think that it is the game which you have been watching on TV, the game that made you dizzy as if something from on high. This is only an ordinary basketball game. Maybe they need to deal with some pressure. For example, Yi has been hyped since he was so young. But this is only his first year in the CBA. His pressure is probably not less than my first NBA game.

Yang: At this point, is it time to face the problem with Francis?

Yao: I saw a lot of different views in the press. What I think is that don't underestimate Francis. Just like don't overestimate me. Yesterday when we played the 76ers, I felt that Francis' talent, his physical strength, was really better than Iverson. But his charisma (ed. don't know if this is the right word) is a little less than Iverson. But he is definitely one of the best guards in the NBA. I don't want to discuss the question of who is the number one guy. I am just a rookie who have only played one quarter of the season. If someone says we play well, I hope he is talking about the "Yao Ming-Francis" combination.

Yang: If you keep playing at this level, you will surely be the best rookie in December.

Yao: Best rookie. . . hmm. . . hmm. . . hmm.

Yang: Next game against the Kings. Still remember how you got bullied by Divac?

Yao: You wait and see. You saw the difference between the first time and the second time I played the Spurs. You also saw the difference between the first time and the second time I played the 76ers. I can tell you I already know how to deal with Divac. I won't lose to him this time.

edit: MFW beat me. Good job.

19. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Wow.. so we have Shaq: Big Shark Fish, Rudy: Soup Commander in Chief.. please rockHead.. more photoshop!!!!

20. Quakes

Quakes Member

Yao certainly seemed to be more candid in that interview. Still... I'm glad he hasn't learned the bad habit of trashtalking... although he did sound more confident especially regarding his matchup with Divac (still don't think what he said was being cocky or trashtalking). Will be interesting to see how that plays out tomorrow night!

I got the sense he was defending Franchise in the Chinese media, which quite possibly may have enthusiastically "overfavored" Yao. Great to hear him temper the excitement about him and clarify that it's ultimately a team effort that counts.