1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isiah Thomas must be fuming

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ROXTXIA, Dec 9, 2002.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/1208/1473796.html

No, he wasn't charged, arrested, booked, nothing like that. Briefly handcuffed and released. Police saw a wad of money in Thomas' car and brought in the drug dogs. Geez. Apparently the police don't follow basketball (in Indiana?!?! pleeze!) and of course assumed a black man with a big roll of money is a drug dealer.

Of course I've never been a fan of the guy ("Mirror Mirror on the Wall, who's the Greatest of Them All?" "Why, you're the greatest, Isiah....and prettiest, too! And to hell with #23!") and I might be reading too much into this, but Isiah must be more than a little p.o.'d.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

As best as I can tell from the article, Isiah was being an ass.

3. drapg

drapg Member

Was Thomas so disappointed about not being recognized that he refused to show identification? Gimme a break. He got what he deserves. If any one of us had refused to follow police instructions, we may have spent the night in a cell.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"Thomas refused to leave the scene, saying he did not have his identification. He was still at the scene when sheriff's officials left, McAtee said."

Did anybody check if he is still there?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We know that cops NEVER lie about why they harrass black folx.

:rolleyes:

Rocket River

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

And the police were being jerks. They see money in a black guy's car and suddenly they want identification and bring in drug sniffing dogs? I don't think it's about Isiah not being recognized, the fact that they saw money in a guy's car so they sent in drug sniffing dogs and assumed he was a drug dealer, I would be p!ssed to!

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to the article, they asked for identifcation before they found the money. I reckon if I were driving in a closed lane at 3:30 AM and refused to give the police my identification, they would harass me too. I could only hope they would find a large amount of cash in my car.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Race card. :rolleyes:

Here's what we know from Isiah Thomas' own statement:

He's also quoted in the Indy paper: http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/7/007067-2917-036.html
    That's it. He never denied refusing to identify himself. He never said he was unjustly ticketed. I'm willing to admit there is a possibility that cops harrassed him and then painted a different picture for the public. But, Thomas has ample opportunity (more than I'd ever get) to dispute the police's characterization of the event and did not. If he won't defend himself, why should anyone else?

Not to mention the fact that he wasn't the only one stopped at this accident for a similar move.

Plus, if I were a cop that was going to harrass someone, I would not uncuff him and let him go on his way with only a ticket. Why not bring him downtown and let him spend the night in jail if you're going to be crooked anyway? Why not plant drugs on him since you went through the trouble of getting the drug-sniffing dogs? Or beat him for "resisting arrest"? They didn't do any of that.

Thomas objected to the drug-sniffing dogs, but what would you think of a man from out of state who is in sufficient hurry to break traffic rules to get around an accident, will not identify himself and carries a lot of cash? That doesn't qualify as reasonable suspicion?

I know police sometimes harrass blacks. But, they don't harrass blacks every time they encounter one. And when you cry wolf every time a black man gets a ticket, you damage your credibility for when it really happens and when it is really important.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think the same thing could have happened to someone who is not black - if he refuses to identify himself and has large amounts of cash in the car.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

let me ask one question...was Isiah arrested at anytime during this stop??

11. drapg

drapg Member

the guy was driving on the shoulder of a road past traffic, refused to show ID when stopped by the cops, and has a large sum of cash with him and people are saying he was the victim of racism?

gimme a break. put anyone in that position, regardless of color, and they too would be harassed by the police.

12. AMS_blackwidow

especially if u are brown skinned like me,,, then you would be spendin a couple of weeks with the FBI, and their Terrorist questions;)

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe because they found out that he was Isiah freakin Thomas.

14. AMS_blackwidow

person

well if they dont follow BBall, its kinda hard to differ a 6-1 coach from any other player....i know he was a great bball player, but if u dont follow bball. it makes no difference

coach or any other person...
    if u ask me, if it was any other sport i prolly wouldnt be able to tell a coach ffrom a normal person

#14 AMS_blackwidow, Dec 9, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  15. AMS_blackwidow

speaking of sniffing

[​IMG]

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's true, but they had a clue when members from his team came.

Personally, Zeke was probably driving without a license and got away with it.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

small cuts still hurt
    someone cuts u once.. .twice. .thrice
    after a while they just may stab you

Preventing small injustices.. . will prevent greater ones

Rocket River

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

LOL. True that! And you would prolly get a front page on the local newspaper and TV as a possible Al Qaeda suspect long before they find anything about you. Haha Oh and not to mention all this time the FBI has the right to withold all the evidence agaisnt you for the sake of "national security" . Racial profiling anyone? :)

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

By the by, I'm not saying Isiah acted intelligently. But in the state of Indiana---even in a city like Indianapolis, pop. about 1,000,000---basketball is god. In Indianapolis there are two things in particular: the Pacers and the Indy 500 (although the Pacers haven't been selling out like they usually do, they're still a big draw).

I guess it's possible not to follow the only major league sport in the city, but....but....

And then not recognizing that team's coach? What, just another dude? Don't you ever watch the news? Read the newspaper? You're a cop, keep up on current events. Hello?

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Guess he didn't look enough like Tony Dungy.