1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity.net Game Thread: Kings @ Rockets 12/10/2002

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 8, 2002.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

another good test for Yao as Sac has a better than average frontcourt...while this isnt a "must"game by any means, i think a "w" would go a long way in boosting our confidence when we play the upper echelon teams

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree, a nice win here helps establish us as the kind of team a high WC seed really doesn't want to play--especially in round 1.
    Even if our record ends up being close to theirs--I think we are far more dangerous to a higher seed than teams such as Utah, Minn, Phx, Port or Sea.

On this game:

The Rockets are 7-1 at home, the Kings are 7-5 on the road. The one game the Rockets lost at home was when the game got reduced to a a jump shooting contest (Seattle)--exactly the wrong kind of game to get in with the Kings normally. But the Kings won't have Bibby, and Peja & Hedo didn't play last game--those are their 3 best shooters.

If the Rockets come in focused and play hard for 48 minutes they should win--maybe even relatively easy given the game is both at home and with Sacs injuries. However the Rockets have rarely won easy against teams worse than the Kings. Webber and Jackson will have to have great games for Sac to win--and even that won't be enough if Francis, Ming and Mobley have average to above average games.

Health and timing really helps the Rockets, I expect them to win in a game that shouldn't be as close as it ends up, say 95-91.

3. persiandog

persiandog Member

we will have a chance to win if we don't get sucked into the kings fast pace basketball. in order for us to win, we need to control ourselves (that means you steve, cat, and moochie) and make sure we stick with the game plan...meaning, make sure the offense runs through yao more than 60% of the time, and we play defense like we did against philly, and don't forget about the extra pass. we'll see how short term the rockets young guns memory is. i hope they learned from their good showing on saturday.

4. Nova

Nova Member

Kings are going down, Mobley and Francis carve up the Kings defense to keep the score close, Ming makes the game winning shot and Griffin and TMo play great last minute defense and block the King's prayer shot into the seats. :D
    Tough tough game tomorrow night. Hope the rox can hold out at home and win. That'll really show critics what this team is capable of. Key: Defense.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Kings neutered as Franchise crowns Yao "Dynasty".

How is that for a headline. The key in this game is going to be the defense. The loss at Sac. was due to the utter lack of defense that night. Hopefully, we will come out and use that nasty matchup zone to frustrate CWebb and Floppy Divac. The only danger is the jump shooting of the Kings. If they make all of their outside shots, they might have a chance, but I believe that tomorrow is going to be another of those defensive stoppers the Rox have been putting up (6 teams under 80 after 19, wow).

Rox 85
    Queens 78

6. AsianBoy

AsianBoy Contributing Member

Sacromento Kings rule no more, The Ming Dynasty has arrived.

7. ruyun5

ruyun5 Member

Kings Dethroned by Emperor of the new Ming Dynasty

8. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Let's see if Stevie can back up his light a fire under their ass comment.

9. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

All I know is yall better put MOBLEY on your fantasy team cuz he always lights up DOUG CHRISTIE and the kings. Let HAWKINS start against PEJA and let him shut Peja down. Let TAYLOR start cuz he has offense and he is quick enough to gaurd WEBBER. Also watch for MING'S redemption against DIVAC.

10. yahooforyao

yahooforyao Member

From what i see...Majority of the Senior Members think we might loose..and most other members including junior members think we will win..Althought the Senior members have made good points..the Rox are gonna be juiced for this one...and they will win by a veeeeery veeeeeeeery close game..at least by 2 or 3 pts. The key is execute well the first two quarters...because we've been known to slack off in the beginning and pick up in the second half..so if theyre gonna win. they have to win by just stay consistent..

Rox 85

Kings 82

11. Hallama

Hallama Member

...trade for Rick Fox :rolleyes:

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I think that the Rockets are pretty confident that they will win this game. Stevie already made the comment that the Rockets will " light a fire under their asses" or something like that. Also, another advantage is that Cuttino is back and seems ready to tear things up. I cannot explain how important Cuttino's success is to this team. It showed during the Sixers game. The Rockets received some much needed scoring from him and were able to easily defeat the 76ers.

One more advantage: The Rockets are playing this one at home. I'm not totally sure, but I think the Rockets are 7-1 at home, with the one loss coming from the Sonics.(Correct me if i'm wrong.) It seems logical that the Rox will win this one.

Cod

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Ming,Ming, and more Ming against Vlade and the other centers. I don't want to see any iso's for thomas against Webber. Give the ball to Ming, run it through him and that will cut down on the to's by AND1 mixtape #1 and #2.. Keep the score close and don't give up the steals that turn into fast breaks the other way. If not, then ass whipping will return like it did a couple of weeks ago.

14. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

His first name is Jim but when he plays in the Summit he goes by Jackson cause his game is straight nasty. Stop Jackson, stop the Kings. Its as simple as that.

Houston 97

Sactown 86

15. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Visiting Kings Get Smacked by Chinese Firewall

Yao "Dynasty" Ming and Stevie "Franchise" Francis lead Rockets over the Kings 85 to 75. Houston guards control the tempo, leading to 15 Kings turnovers vs. 2 for the Rockets. Yao reaches his fourth consecutive double double and Mobley continues his hot shooting off the IJ...

-------------------------------------------------
    :D :D :D

Seriously though, I hope the Rox NOT play to the pace of Sacramento. Look at what they did to San Antonio. Play to their pace and Sac WILL score 100+ on you. San Antonio should've stuck their nice and slow half court sets. I really hope the Rockets slow this upcoming game down. Mooch, Mobley, Francis... ANYBODY... just play to Rocket strengths. It works both ways. A slow game is frustrating for a quick strike offense like Sac.

#2 on the agenda is to contain Christie. By my recollection, Christie has a height adv over both Mobley and Francis. Who's to defend him better defend him well. He's had the hot hand and I really don't want to see him get the better of our quality guards.

#3 on the agenda is to CUT DOWN ON THE TURNOVERS. with such a high powered offense, you may as well be giving away points to the other team with turnovers. Worse yet, easy transition hoops off turnovers tend to be momentum builders and "run" makers. Anytime Sac starts makin' a run, I hope Houston just does #1, slow it down, and go to old reliables, Yao and Steve.

#4 Get Vlade in foul trouble. Despite how savvy he may be, he can be put into foul trouble. If Yao stays aggressive and aggressive early, maybe we can exploit our edge at the 5 spot. c'mon Rox, it's VLADE... - "smokes two packs a day" VLADE.

#5 Defense NEEDS to rotate when Sac has a man beat. Sac is too good a passing team and needs to be matched with an equally impressive and "responsive" defense. The Zone D should work well. Conversely, I think with Yao's production in the paint, the Sac defenders will have to be more honest and give our perimeter guys an extra feet or two.

theSAGE

16. AMS_blackwidow

hehe, just picked him up for a kings player( peja stojacavic)
    thx for the info

17. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

For the Rockets to win...

1. They need to cut down turnovers...and i mean silly turnover that is unforced.

2. Need to play smart basketball. For example...don't pass it when Christie is in the middle of the lane...ect..

3. Need to play better defense cuz it's hard to stop the Kings passing. 5 of them play like 1 as Yao said.

4. And they need to make shots. If they can't make shot, they're going to have a tough time beating the Kings.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I WANT TO WATCH THIS GAME!!!!.....:(

19. bongman

bongman Member

Headline on Wednesday:

MING SHOWS WHO IS KING

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

anyone know where this game will be shown in austin? cuz i am gonna want to watch it and drink beer since i am turning in a huge paper tomorrow and i will want to relax :D