1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is working at a job you hate really worth your time??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aries323, Oct 24, 2005.

1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Hell yeah, f!#@@ right. Best future job in the world.

2. HombreDeHierro

Never selling out to the corporate machine over a long term.

Maybe ill work at a corporation for a bit after college but as soon as possible I'm starting my own venture

3. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

My ex-wife is in the same boat, we still keep in touch so she tells me about things I don't already know. She's been with the company for over 3 years, only got one raise and it was minimal, doesn't look to be getting another in the near future. She doesn't mind 90% of the other employees, but the clientele is what she hates and she deals with quite a bit of it. She doesn't have a degree, so that hampers her somewhat. She hates it, but makes enough money to not struggle, she'd rather not give up that guaranteed income on something she's not sure of. It sucks knowing you have to go to work everyday hating it, but not having another choice.

4. Wilford_Knows

Wilford_Knows Member

The World will welcome you with open arms soon enough.

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

Work for yourself and make your own rules and this won't be an issue. Stay out of debt and stop buying the latest and greatest things and you won't be stressed if you have to go a few months without pay. My life has been stress free ever since I left the corporate world.

6. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

[​IMG]

7. HombreDeHierro

hell yeah it will

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

to me quality of life is more important than anything else. if reducing your salary also reduces your stress without affecting your standard of living, then it's a no brainer. what's the point of making all that money if you have not time to enjoy it?

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Speaking for myself, I refused to accept doing something I hated, so I went back to school. For the most part, I'm pretty darn happy, these days.

Life is short. Don't spend it doing something that makes you miserable.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Consider the alternative.

is working at the beach renting jet skis worth it?
    Maybe for a while, and maybe when you get hungry you can just fish.. but worth it?

How long can you sit at the beach for?

I've sat at plenty beaches and it can become common. The grass really is greener.

You say you have savings then get a fun job and enjoy yourself. Become a tour guide and take people to yosemite. Do something like that perhaps for less. Change it up.

Remember starting a small business is like a pledge of poverty, so I would consider against that for now. I would say maybe the short term solution is to take a few 4 day weekends and start traveling a little bit.

From there maybe even a month long vacation if you can swing it. That willge get you to the fall of this year.

If you only get mentally so far with that ,and it doesnt help, then the next step would be to try getting a similar job at another company. Start applying by summer.

Then and only then would I do something drastic like leave if you are making good income. What are you leaving to?

Again it's consider the alternative. Are you ready to put in notice at your place and sell you car? Are you ready to live on less money?

11. lalala902102001

Save up to at least equivalent of one year's salary and then quit.