1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I agree was a lot better then I thought it was going to be

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

TRON: Legacy (55%) - Didn't give a damn about any of the characters, the CGI they used on Jeff Bridges looked horrible, and there were so many regrettable one-liners ("Why do I feel like I just got dunked on?"). The 55% is solely due to a solid effort from the actor who played Sam, the impressive visuals and soundtrack, and Olivia Wilde.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Chronicle - 6.5/10

Not a bad movie. I would suggest renting it, or if you really want to see something in the theater, this isn't a bad choice.

4. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

I watched this last night and honestly don't know how to rate it. I mean, I enjoyed the story line, but what is the deal with the long awkward pauses, the terrible music, and that freaking jacket that he refused to take off?

5. ClutchCityReturns

EDIT: Felt like my original reply came off a bit snobby. My apologies.

Based on your complaints, I'd have to say this simply wasn't your brand of movie. That's okay - I realize it's very much a love it or hate kind of thing.

In its defense I'll say that it was a very visual film, and the pauses in dialogue were intentional. They're supposed to make you pay more attention to the character's body language, facial expressions, and other subtle visual cues. For me, they were perfect - and absolutely necessary.

All of this stuff is subjective, so if you're going to refer to the music as terrible, that's your prerogative. But, as this Amazon.com page will indicate, many people loved it: http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Origina...DGNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329716055&sr=8-1

Of course, you're still entitled to think the music is terrible. I just have a feeling you might be in the minority. There's also an interview with the director on the Blu Ray disc where he explains why the movie had that 80's pop feel to it in the first place. I'd link to it but I can't find it on YouTube.

As for the scorpion jacket...

Gosling's character mentioned the story of The Scorpion and the Frog toward the end of the film. He was the scorpion and Nino was the frog. I can only assume that's the reason for the jacket.

#3065 ClutchCityReturns, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Safe House - Oh my!
    9.5/10
    Great movie, although some of the twists were abundantly easy to read.
    Def a must see and most likely seeing it again.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I would give it a similar rating. I didn't see why this film got all the buzz this past year. Unless of course the year had a plethora of mediocre films as it's primary competition.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Talking about the jacket
    I think he took it off in the beginning when getting into Staples Center, masking himself as a fan.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Watched Star Treck last night on FX. I am far from a Trekki but WOW that movie was hella good. The story kinda threw me off, I wasn't sure if it was leading up to how the show started or a parrallel world with how the worm hole took Spak and Nuro (sp?) back thru time. Anyway I was off and on from the Rox so I'm sure I missed some of the important story line. Nonetheless 9/10

Real Steel - 2/10 this movie sucked not that I wanted to see it but there was really nothing else out for me and the wife on Red Box. Had no idea it was based on one of my childhood favorite toys "Rock em Sock em".

10. Nero

Nero Member

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

4/10

Just not very good. The script, such as it is, I'm guessing, was maybe about ten pages long. The set-up, at the very beginning, tells you all you need to know: this is going to be one of 'those' movies, filled with faceless commando bad guys (ie endless cannon fodder for the hero).

There are several tidbits of bat-**** insane thrown in, mostly by Cage himself doing his 'Crazy Nic Cage' shtick, and it is interspersed with odd cartoon animation bits.

One little bit did make my 11-year-old son laugh (and I am not concerned with spoilers here): the kid asks Cage if he ever has to urinate when he is 'The Rider', and Cage responds with 'Yeah! It's awesome, it shoots out like a flamethrower! Whooosh' -which is amusing enough, but the movie cuts to a brief shot of the Ghost Rider, from behind, shooting flames from his crotch region, and then he looks back over his shoulder, nodding at the camera with an 'Ohh yeah! That's right!' kind of thing.

Oh and Christopher Lambert, the Highlander himself, appears briefly as a bald-headed monk with writing all over his head and face. I guess they didn't have any paper?

Anyway, there was one good thing in the movie: Idris Elba. This is really the first time I have seen him with this much of a role, this much face time and given some room to breathe and exude some charisma. The role was pretty thin, that of a sort of badass mofo biker-jacket-wearing French alcoholic monk who wields a pretty mean machine gun.

I predict we will be seeing him as the actual star of some kind of an action movie very soon, it would be refreshing. And he can pull it off.

Other than that, if you saw Limitless, remember the brother-in-law who gave the guy the little clear pill at the beginning of the movie? That same dude was the sort-of bad guy in this one, as a mercenary jerk who just HAPPENED to also been a former boyfriend of the girl who just happened to have made a 'deal with the devil' and was forced to give birth to the devil's offspring. This particular dude gets whacked by the Rider, but then the devil comes along and turns him into a super-powered decay-fiend, basically so the Rider will have someone to fight. He had a few fun scenes, but the movie wisely kills him and Elba off, so the only interesting characters are guaranteed not to be in the next installment of this 'franchise'.

As for the Rider, when he is all flaming and stuff, I don't know what the heck was up with it, but it was clunky, waddly, and slow. And he didn't do much really except get shot and blown up a lot, and use his magical CGI chain to disintegrate people into ashes instantly when it suited the director. Other times, such as when he was supposed to be sucking the souls out of people, literally NOTHING HAPPENS.

I suspect that there was a lot of this filmed, and done, but in order to make it under the PG-13 bar, it had to be cut. This is probably one of those times when the Director's Cut on disc will end up being much better than the one which hit theaters.

Definitely avoid, catch it for rent when it comes out, which will be very soon.

So, there

1 person likes this.
  11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watched it the other weekend. Thought it looked horrible based on the premise and all but I heard it got pretty good reviews so i tried it.

It is a little hokey but at the end of the movie it had me roped in

12. SacTown

SacTown Member

Agree. I give it a 9.999 out of 10

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The Rum Diary - It was ok. I'd give it a 7/10.

14. ClutchCityReturns

Well, I don't think he was saying that he never took the jacket off. There were many points in the film where he was without it.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Moneyball - It gets on-base.

16. astrocketexan

astrocketexan Member

Watched the Conspirator last night. It was average. The story itself is quite interesting. But the movie lacked any punch.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Took my boy to see Journey2 at IMAX. He loved it. He's 11.

Had some eye-popping 3D effects and visuals but that was all it had going for it.

18. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Take Shelter - Movie was nicely done. It keeps you guessing really at Curtis' dreams and if he in reality does have a psychological disorder.

8/10.

19. SPF35

SPF35 Member

20. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Midnight in Paris 8/10

Wonderful sweet movie. Totally got me fooled and thought it was Elizabeth Banks but actually it was Rachel McAdams.