1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Real Problem...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theguent, Dec 9, 2002.

1. AMS_blackwidow

every team has its problems, and fights but the good teams are the ones that get over those problems, and win

like the ROX

i give my congrats to steve for recognizing YAO. and the rest of the rox for adjusting this well:D

2. aries323

aries323 Member

No trades with the Jazz...

We don't need or want any of their players from that crappy organization. Please people.... c'mon....

get your head out of your arses

no more stupid trade threads...:mad: :mad: :mad:

3. Nova

Nova Member

Amen. :)

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Great first post. The problem is that good role players are hard to find, because they must be good role players IN THAT SYSTEM. Remember how happy we all were when we signed Shandon Anderson? Here's the perfect role player on paper, right? But he was a bigger bust here than Anna Nicole Smith -- and he's been disappointing for the Knicks, too.

I think that the best role players are guys who LEARN to adapt to the system they find themselves in. Look at Hawkins. He came in here, took a look around, and saw what this team was most in need of -- a high-energy defensive stopper who can nail the occasional jumper to keep defenses honest. It's not out of the question that MoT could tailor (no pun intended) his game to better fit the current makeup of the team, but it would definitely take a bit of an attitude adjustment on his part.

5. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

I don't think in any event that Jazz will trade Krilienko, just like Yao to Huston, AK is untouchable in term of Jazz.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I'm going to point out something that I hope many alarmist will pay attention to because I think it explains our situation pretty nicely. The Lakers, when they first got Kobe, they weren't a Championship caliber team. He and Shaq needed to play together a few years to become 3 time Champs. The Kings got Webber in 98. They only finished 4 games above .500 that year. Every year since, they have improved steadily. The Mavs, with their big 3, have only had 2 winning seasons before this year. The two previous years, when Dirk was a rook and a soph, they sucked. Our rebuilding is in its fourth year now. The first year, Francis was a rook, Dream and Barkley were gone. The 2nd year, Mobley emerges, Francis is experienced, Taylor was a consistent scorer, and Dream had some flashes of his old self. That season, we won 45 games and barely missed the playoffs. Last year was an aberration, players were injured and missed lots of games, Mobley played on 2 injured ankles the entire season with little help. Now, this year we have Ming and a healthy team. People constantly point to the Lakers, Mavs, and Kings and say "why can't we be more like them?" They complain so much that they are blind to the fact that we are damn near exactly like those
    teams

That says it all.

Relax. If needs be we can pick up another or diferent role player or two if needed in another season or so as everyone flocks to Yao and Steve like they have to Shaq, Kobe and Duncan.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I disagree that Mobley and Frances don't complement each other very well. They both largely may function as shooting guards, but they really seem to feed off each other i.e. they have chemistry together. That was especially obvious in the 76er game when Mobley returned after a several game absence.

8. AMS_blackwidow

would you rather have steve play with someone who he's not so tight with, i think that would seriously ruin the chemistry, even if it was a TRUE point gaurd like kidd, or Dre miller..
    the only person the rox could prolly bring in for mobley, without upsetting francis would probably be Nick Van Excel, or Sam cassel