1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

33 Games in For The Rockets (6th Seed)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

We are 5 games over .500 at 19-14 and currently sitting in 6th seed, what are your thoughts, assesment, and predictions for the latter half of this season? Will we finish the season more than 5 games over .500? Will we be a better team after the trade deadline? Do we advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs and possibly make it to the Western Finals?

Sure hope so.

1 person likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Overachieving

Remember everybody saying we were mediocre or 9th place?

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

We will finish as a 7th seed barring major changes. 1st round exit.

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I'm a little surprised at the record and the standings. Just REALLY, REALLY HAPPY to be honest. Hopefully we can keep it up. Playoff series will depend on matchups, its really hard to tell right now.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

We're not good enough to be championship contenders as currently constructed. Can we advance past the first round of the playoffs? I think it depends on the matchup. We seem to match up well with some playoff teams and poorly with others. Also, luck is always a part.

I think Morey will definitely make at least one big trade, maybe more than one, at the deadline. He will probably try to buy our way into becoming championship contenders. I hope he succeeds.

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I want the Rockets to make the playoffs.. sooo... bad... That's all I want. Anything else will be fantastic.

1 person likes this.
  7. STR8Thugg

Same here man. SAME HERE...

8. valorita

valorita Member

If we can finish 38-28 it should guarantee us a playoff birth. Considering all the drama in the offseason and the changes in coaching staff, I would say that it would be a successful season.

9. heartofachamp34

TBH, I'm not sure us being in the playoff hunt is so much being better than last season, as much as alot of other teams in the West taking a step back.

Lakers - lost Odom for peanuts
    Portland - inconsistent
    Dallas - championship hangover to start the season (turning it around now though)
    Memphis - lost ZBo
    Denver - lost Gallo, Nene; strangely, not a great home team
    Utah - fell off a cliff once they had to play games away from SLC
    Golden State/Sacto/Minny - remember when people were predicting they'd be much improved and sneak in to the playoffs? Well, I suppose Minny still has a shot.

We've been pretty fortunate with no serious injuries to any of our core players, and having great depth only helps in a lockout season.

1 person likes this.
  10. STR8Thugg

It's much, MUCH better than last season.

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Oh and if i may add, other than Denver (8th), we're currently the only seeded team in the west without an all-star.

1 person likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They have tons of borderline allstars though

Lawson
    Chandler
    Gallinari
    Nene

and some good players
    Harrington
    Afflalo
    Faried
    Miller

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Nothing but excitement coming from my end.

The most exciting thing about this team, personally, is that nothing is handed to the players. I mean, when Adelman was here, you could bank on Scola and Martin coming in with about 5 mins left in the game regardless of how well the group on the court was playing, and how terrible Scola and Martin were playing.

Now, if Martin and Scola aren't playing well and the bench guys are bringing it, the bench gets the playing time.

I've been begging for that kind of mentality over the past couple of years, and I'm ecstatic that McHale is using it.

As far as the playoffs go, I think this team can definitely make it. It will all come down to the moves made at the trade deadline, though.

Can this team get bigger inside? That is what I would like to see.

14. STR8Thugg

Even though Lowry has played like one for most of the season. Also, outside of possibly Denver (again), we probably have the deepest team in the west playoff hunt right now.

15. STR8Thugg

Well Chandler hasn't played at all this season. Still in China I believe... Still, they have a really nice group of players. I especially like Lawson, Chandler, Gallinari, and Afflalo.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

oh! how much i agree with this statement...

i believe we are making the playoffs this season... i believe depending on the matchup we could win a first round series... lets take a look..

this is how i predict the standings and matchups will end...
    1-Thunder
    2-Clippers
    3-Spurs
    4-Mavericks
    5-Lakers
    6-Rockets
    7-Grizzlies
    8-Trailblazers
    what i think all of us can agree on is that were gonna be bottom four and the above top 5 will all finish in the top 5 in some order... out of all 5 teams i personally believe we match up with spurs and mavericks the best... besides we usually play them tougher...not to mention its not as far of a distance when it comes to home court advantage(especially when considering two LA teams are alternative) leveling the field a little bit...

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Other teams are falling off, we've been steady nearly the whole season

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Didn't think they'd do this well with a new coach and system plus losing Chuck Hayes.

Parsons has been huge.

19. delishman

delishman Member

If we get the sixth seed. I will be happy. I underestimated this team. Still not sure its the right direction BUT playing some solid bball right now.

20. WNBA

WNBA Member

another mediocre year.