1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you do as commish?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by da_juice, Feb 14, 2012.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Assume you're the new commisioner, starting tomorrow. What do you do to improve the league?

I'll go first:
    Extend the age limit to three years of college, but open up the D-League to high school players-No more one and dones, no more teams being stuck with immature or extremely raw draft picks. Athletes who may not be able to afford or have the grades for college can enter the minors and try to get in that way.

Going along with that, I'd try to expand the D-League to one affilate per team. Baseball has a solid model.

Find an owner for the Hornets ASAP or contract them- I don't care if the Hornets get moved to Anchorage, the league cannot own a team and claim to be fair and balanced. The Hornets need an owner. No excuses, no more stalling.

Less games, later season The NBA did well competing against the latter half of the NFL this year. 62 game season (play every team twice at home and away, plus your divison rivals one extra game) gets a better quality product, less tired players. Also, season starts late November, trade deadline in March, playoffs start in late April, finals end in late June, with the draft in early July. Training camp starts in late october. Enough time for players to play in the Olympics and still rest.

Lottery changes Live drawing (like the old days) except done by a computer.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Ah, didn't finish posting, I hit enter twice. I would also,

let the 9th seed in the better conference be the 8th seed in the other if their record is better- Houston would be the 8th seed in the Eastern playoffs over this.

Teams lose a 1st round pick if they fail to make the playoffs at least once every ten years.

Make the all star game count as home court advantage

3. snc

snc Member

Good thread, been meaning to ask this of the board as well.

People complain about the ProBowl, but does anyone seriously care about AllStar Weekend? The Dunk Contest? Any of that? I sure don't.

I am stealing this idea from someone else on this board (don't remember who and it was a long time ago) but they should have a King's Cup style tournament halfway through the season that people (and more importantly <i>players</i>) actually care about. Probably a real short, elimination tournament.

I also agree on a shorter season, and there needs to be some type of incentive for players to want to remain loyal to their franchise instead of circlejerking in the cities with the best night life or weather.

4. supdudes

supdudes Member

I would donate my money to the poor, help old blind ladies cross the street, champion for world peace (and the player of that name to gracefully retire)...

Let see. Oh, and free XBOX's at every game

I'd make a great commish, vote for me :cool:

5. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

I think you might be in the minority on this one, could be wrong though.
    I enjoy All-Star Weekend, last year, I loved the TNT Fantasy Draft, the Dunk Contest, the last quarter of the All-Star Game. I pretty much watch all of it. The only thing I skip is probably the Rookie-Sophmore game, but I like the changes they made to it this year so I'll probably tune in.

Whereas, the Pro Bowl is terrible. It shouldn't be played. They should just say, you're an all-star and move on.

6. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I think that tournament idea was actually suggested by Shane Battier a couple of seasons ago. That would be much more entertaining than the All-Star festivities.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

What's is the King's Cup? Is that from Hockey? What about it makes players care?

8. SPF35

SPF35 Member

I definitely love the age group idea and makign dleague open to high schoolers as another option. This would be great for the dleague and not make the nba a whole waiting developmental game. Yes tehre are some who are ready, but a very small minority and even those(including LBJ, Kobe, KG) all were not ready the first two years and very inefficient. And those talents are coming along any time soon.

I'd make the less stops in the game, take out ticky tack fouls, allow them to hang on the rim, make the game smoother like in the 90s, allow some hard fouls and emotion, just have a better flow of the game.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

1st move - HARDCAP! None of this luxury tax nonsense... the cap is the cap - period! This would promote parity and allow all markets to compete - not just those who are willing to overspend the most!

2nd move - ELIMINATE MAX CONTRACTS! If a smaller market wants to spend half their cap on a superstar - fine! This whole 'superfriends' stuff has got to go - and if a superstar can make more money elsewhere, I dont think playing with their 'bff' is gonna matter anymore.

Alot of other good ideas mentioned in the thread, but these would be my first 2 priorities...

Then I'd get with the players association and see about eliminating this 100% guranteed contract nonsense!

Basically, start running the league like the NFL!

10. SPF35

SPF35 Member

ah on another thing, SHORTER CONTRACTS, MORE ACCOUNTABILITY. If a player overperforms and he is on a 2 year contrat, wala, you get a raise. IF a player underperforms, he goes to market value. Nonetheless no fanbase has to stick with an unmotivated player with a long contract now. And to make hometown teams have more of a chance let them give better raises just like they do now.

11. snc

snc Member

You're right, that just jogged my memory, it was Shane.

From what I gather it's a round-robin, mid-season tournament they do in soccer. And players probably wouldn't care about it at first but as it builds tradition it could be like having a mini-season inside the regular season.

Just an idea.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

To get it to work, it has to count for something, winning the cup has to give you some sort of advantage.

13. Handles

Handles Member

They could keep the all-star game as is but give it a reason. Take note of the MLB all-star game. Whichever conference wins the game earns home court advantage for the finals.

14. SPF35

SPF35 Member

I agree, All star game is not watchable anymore, the best part is the introduction and then it is down hill from there, it is like watching a light hearted practice game. Put some competition in there, last great game was when MJ played and hit that fadeaway bc it was an OT game and teams were tyrying to win.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

NBA (I'll keep it to a few things):
    Length of the Season: Either decrease the number of games (to 65-78 range) through the season, or leave room for teams to get proportionate time off to rest players (Something like a two bye weeks, during the season. One in between the start of the season and the all-star game and second one after the all-star game and the end of season.

Playoff Format Either 5-7-7-7, 3-5-7-7, or 1-5-7-7.

Instant Replay Challenges Coaches get 3-4 opportunities to challenge disputable college, if a call stands (they lose a timeout, like the NFL).

Get rid of the "off the court dress code" rule It's useless, other leagues do not have it. What makes the NBA a special case? They are not selling cars, or at a formal business meeting. I love seeing the individuality of the players' unique wardrobe.

Lottery changes I love a computer generator for lottery picks by an outside organization. I want to back to pre-93 rules, where all 14 non-lottery teams have a chance at the first through 4 picks (yet worst teams still have the best , picks are progressed in as they are odds to win) now, where the weaker teams cannot pick lower than 4 spots.

Lower the shot clock to 21 seconds

Allow hand-checking and forearms as legal moves

Reduce the number of home games and road games to 39 for all teams

You wonder what those 4 games are for. Those are games that will be played at neutral sites in both NBA/Non-NBA cities. There's always talk of getting the game more overseas, like the NFL. How about playing more games selective cities? Like, having games in Des Moines, El Paso, Las Vegas, San Diego, Columbia (SC), Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, or etc.

Disband the 19 year old rule or required college If a team cannot draft a player who is NBA ready, or is lacking sufficient skills to play a useful role for the team. It's the teams fault for not doing proper scouting, not the player. Players do not draft themselves. There's no point in someone, like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, or Tracy McGrady going to the D-League or college. If they are showing some very fantastic skills against veterans or lower-rung players. There's no point in that, while a high school player who enters the draft and does poorly in workouts against better competition. You can let exceptionally talented players into league earlier than the norm. It's not like the NFL were most players are not physically ready to play, or can grasp the concept of complex defense or offense. Honestly, I do not think Kwame Brown would've been any better going through college. For some reason Michael Jordan though he could drag him out of it, and couldn't. You do not take do some who is ill-prepared or lacking a certain demeanor to be a star player on a team.

People often point to immaturity and rawness of players, yet if you look at most draft busts, tragic stories with NBA players, players going broke, or etc. There's a very weak correlation with years in college vs. NBA success. Player success is not necessarily based on college success or achievements. It's more about individual cases. People seem to be under the perception that college gives players a sense of selflessness, responsibility, more driven, or become better individuals.

I should whether this with a perspective that I think college basketball is weaker in NBA preparation. It's almost the worst level of competition as basketball leagues, compared to D-League and Euro teams. It serves as a training league for inferior players or high school leagues who cannot play with upper echelon talent. The more NBA ready players, like Derrick Rose and few others are going to go to programs, which give them the best jumping board into the NBA and are only planning to stay a year at most. I do not see the reason in pushing a player into school or D-Leagues, if they are not interested in doing and are talented enough to be in the NBA. Besides, you can always go to college for the experience. While, the least talented prospects can go to the D-League, as usual.

16. Handles

Handles Member

I like the 3-5-7-7 format in particular. The 1-5-7-7 is interesting too, it would leave a lot more room for upsets which would increase the amount of coverage the league could get. Much like march madness.

Not agreeing or disagreeing here, I am just curious. Why would you lower the shot clock?

Here I'd have to disagree. I think players should play at least 2 years in college. Like you said, NCAA basketball isn't too competitive. Having players play at least two years in college would increase the competitiveness of college ball and would provide NBA scouts with more evaluations and therefore less risk.

17. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

-Move the Hornets to Seattle. Sonics need to be back.

-I'm going to steal an idea from Bill Simmons. Might not be the most practical thing but it seems fun.

Quote comes from this column

He expands on that idea in his book and has mentioned it a few times over the years but I would love to see it even if it is a 1 year trial.

-My third act as commissioner would be to rig the lottery for the Rockets.

18. conquistador#11

As glorious commissar, I would...

Ban Flopping.

A foul is a foul whether it's Wade or Novak.

Season starts christmas day and ends Late july.

All teams that did not make the playoffs have an equal shot at landing a top five pick.

Bring back hand checking, if they could 100 points in the 80s and 90s then these super divas should still be able to now.

My biggest change, get rid of the series format and go tournament mode, win or go home.

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yet, that format still doesn't reduce the number of busts in league. I really do not think college basketball is entitled to be competitive. For one, if we look at all of the corruption that goes on in the NCAA. My biggest point was for the more talented, like LeBron, Kobe, KG, or T-Mac. They sufficiently didn't need to play college basketball. In fact, it may have hindered their development, playing against worst players for two year. Moreover, it tends to be very small minority of players that come directly from high school.

I would only restricted to an age, like 18-19 at most, and give players the option to play overseas or D-League. I wouldn't restrict it to college, there's no logical reason for it, except for helping college basketball and maybe a few players develop. The higher-tier players, it's probably a waste of time.