1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When next year comes around, can we afford Tim Duncan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cipherous, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

WE SHOULD DO EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER TO GET DUNCAN.
    With David Robinson leaving, what else is there for Duncan in San Antonio? They have 22 mil in cap room and they could sign Kidd but thats not really a sure thing for a championship but pretty damn close to one. But the Nets with Duncan would pretty damn close though (I am not sure if they can afford Mutumbo, Kidd and Ducan at the same time). On the other hand, Ming and Duncan,without a doubt, would be a lock for the title. I don't see a better front court unless it was Shaq and Duncan and luckily the Lakers cannot afford him! But I think we can, please correct me on this if Cato's, Taylor's or Rice's contract would conflict with giving Tim Ducan the max.

Ming would compliment Duncan's game and Ducan's would compliment Ming's. The opposing team would have to collapse in the paint 90% of the time which leads to open looks for everybody. I think Duncan and Ming would get along, both are fundamentally sound and team players. Also, both are conservative and seem to eat their fair share of humble pie. In short, I don't see how Duncan and Ming would be conflicting. Both are young, Ming is 22 and Duncan is 27 or something like that. You can expect at least 4 rings with this duo.

Yao and Duncan would be amazing! It'd possibly could be the best front court ever with a few years (maybe months) of development maybe with the exception of Worthy and Kareem or Bird and Parrish.

I think if Duncan wanted a guaranteed championship, he'd sign with lakers or the Rockets!

I am not sure how Mobley and Francis would react to sharing the lime light with Ming and Duncan. Hell, I am not even sure if they'd continue to play the guard game even with Ming and Duncan. But if Duncan comes to Houston, we'd have the answer for Shaq.
    Even if we have to trade Francis, so be it. Whatever it takes to win right? Mobley can stay because his price is as cheap as a good 2 guard comes.

If SA finds out Timmy D ain't staying, they'd want to trade him
    We'd have to make this pretty reasonable, SA would want a player who is up to par with the calibur of Duncan or a trade thats worth looking at at the least bit.

I say
    Francis + Griffin + K.Thomas + how ever many 1st round and 2nd picks they want for Duncan + Parker + a scrub (we'll take a scrub off their hands just to make the deal more tantalizing, hell maybe even Steve Kerr).

I think Ducan makes about 13 mil and Francis makes about the same (not sure exactly how much though) and pretty sure Parker and Griffin makes about the same.
    I know we're trading our best player and our potential all star and maybe another potential all star for one of the best big men to ever play the game.

1 Parker, Norris, Kerr
    2 Mobley, Hawkins
    3 Rice, Boki, Tmo
    4 Duncan, Mo.T
    5 Ming, Cato, Collier

we can nitpick through the lineup later. It's a solid front court and an unbelievable front court.

1 Francis, Claxton
    2 Ginibolli, Smith
    3 Rose, Griffin
    4 K Thomas , Bowen
    5 ****Kandi****,Bateer , Ferry <---- I am sure SA can pick up Kandi from LA for the center spot, with Brand and Kandi both wanting the max next year...one of them has to leave. Why not SA?

SA don't look too bad if they picked up Kandi, it'd definitely be a playoff team

don't flame me too bad and I know you guys are gonna stick to the original roster no matter what but I thought it would intrigue you guys.

2. djkickass

djkickass Member

Hey, man, can you simplify this a bit? Tis too complicated for me.

3. GAKF

GAKF Member

Man, you are dreaming. This will never happen. Tim Duncan is not going to anywhere.

4. drapg

drapg Member

With Ginobili, Parker, and Bateer, I think S.A. is building for the future with Duncan in mind.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If Tim Duncan left San Antonio, the entire city will be drinking cherry kool aid in a cult like ceremony.

He's not going anywhere.

6. ym11

ym11 Member

It is possible, don't forget we have YAO , he can attractive any other players who wants the ring. Yao has to stay with no choice, then the choice is on others . it is the chance for the ring for anyone who wants to join

7. ym11

ym11 Member

we can trade anyone accept YAO for duncan.. once we got duncan . bang.. everyone will join for the Ring . Doest it !!!!!

8. YaoROY

YaoROY Member

Why would the Spurs do that? Yes if Duncan wants to leave they would like to have something in return but they also know that Duncan can only go to Utah, Miami, Denver, Seattle. They would rather let Duncan go to a place where he couldn't win a championship than trade with the Rockets and let Rockets win. Remember, losing is the worst thing in sports. The Spurs would never want to help the Rockets to get championships, even if that means they have to let Duncan walk, because that means they have no title hope.

Well you can always do that using your fantasy team though. :D

9. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

why would we want duncan? we dont need him. why not someone else?

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Tim Duncan or Kenny Thomas/Mo Taylor/E. Griffin.

Uh, yeah we do need him. Can we get him? No way in hell.

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I can't agree with this more

12. Cipherous

I don't think Duncan will be winning any rings with that team. SA does have a 22 million cap room, and they may sign Jason Kidd, granted Kidd leaves NJ. But NJ is also building around Kidd, don't get me wrong

1 Kidd
    2 Kittles
    3 Jefferson
    4 K.Martin
    5 Duncan

is an awesome lineup, would definitely give the kings, mavs and the lakers a run for their money. But who is gonna take aging Mutumbo, with his fat contract I might add, off the Net's hands to make room for Duncan's max? I don't think the Nets have enough room to sign Duncan. Thats why SA may land Kidd. Kidd and Duncan is an awesome duo, but not better then Kobe and Oneal IMO. However, Ming and Duncan, thats just a sick duo! No team will be able to stop them unless they double team both of them! Besides we'll have Mobley and rice for the open looks! Duncan and Ming are willing to pass the rock and both can score. Both will improve each other's game, thus getting more recognition for Duncan and Yao. Duncan even admitted that Ming was gonna be an impact player so Duncan respects him. If Duncan wanted to win, I don't see why Duncan wouldn't want to play with Yao. Also, with Ming as Duncan's partner, Duncan will be loved by 1.3 billion chinese people!!! Thus, more endorsements, more money, more fame, more whatever! I believe Houston has alot of offer to Duncan if he came to play here.

but I don't think there would be a single team that could stop the following:

1 Parker
    2 Mobley
    3 Rice or Boki
    4 Duncan
    5 Ming

unless it was an all star team or team USA.

I am sure with a little adjustments, we can improve the SF and PG positions.

I don't think even Shaq+ Kobe could stop Ming and Duncan. The lane would be clogged up so bad, other players would get boxed out so far...you might else well build a fence around the paint with Yao and Duncan as the guard dogs.

Also, when Shaq retires. Who is gonna stop Duncan? Who is gonna stop Ming? NOBODY! Who would be able to stop Ming and Duncan? No body!!! They're both young too, especially Ming. Duncan is like 26 or something like that, hasn't even scratched the surface on his career.

Why would Duncan come here?
    -He can make history! He could break the celtics' consecutive title record with Yao. He can expect many many rings!
    -Houston fans are one of the most fanatic people around!
    -Duncan's relation with Yao will attract alot of Chinese fans to buy products endorsed by Duncan
    -Duncan will go down as one of the greatest especially with Yao
    -Not alot of true centers left, I don't forsee alot of quality centers like Yao and Duncan coming anytime in the future.

I think we can make a case for Duncan to come here. If I was Duncan, I'd seriously consider coming to houston just for the chance at unheralded greatness in the record books.

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Our team would then become more multi-national than the Mavericks.

Parker: France
    Mobley: USA
    Boki: Slovenia
    Duncan: U.S. Virgin Islands
    Ming: China

:D

#13 RocketForever, Dec 8, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2002
  14. Cipherous

Well, if Tim Duncan doesn't want to resign, theres really nothing SA can do except make the best out of it. Why not take advantage of it right?

I don't think its possible for Duncan to play in NJ due to the filling cap. Kidd may sign with SA, who knows. Or they both can go to Denver, get their max and the team will start from scratch. Even then, I don't think they'd be certain for titles for years to come. Besides, with Kidd being a guard...who knows how long he can keep his quickness and explosiveness. With Yao, he has the size, youth and the scary thing is that I am not sure where hes gonna improving.

I think Houston has the best incentives for Duncan, and if Duncan wants to come to houston and doesn't want to resign with SA because he is on his last year. I think SA would make that trade to make the best out of it.I am so confident that the rockets will have a dynasty, quite possibly one of the best in history, that I am willing to give 10st round picks + Francis, Griffin, Thomas for Duncan+Parker+ whoever scrub they want to get rid of!

No matter where Duncan plays, hes gonna get the max. So why not play for a team that gives him the max and gives him a chance at greatness?

15. ym11

ym11 Member

for got one thing that Duncan prefer for PF instead Center. and remembered once he said he dislike to face Shaq. if he goes any
    other team and he will play center.

16. Cipherous

The main problem might be how unbalanced the rockets would be when compared to other teams.

It'd so boring to watch the finals when the Rockets are dominating every team with Duncan and Ming. I seriously don't see any answer to this duo. Maybe Brand and Oneal? Or some some Webber and Oneal? But how long til Yao becomes stronger and becomes adjusted to the NBA game?

I seriously think thats gonna be one of the biggest problems, because Stern knows its bad for the entertainment value of the NBA.

Yao is still a rookie and he only makes 3mil per year right now. I say DO EVERYTHING TO SIGN DUNCAN before Yao's contract expires and he goes else where for the Max (I am looking at you Golden State :mad: ) and we can't afford both.

Man, some one should talk to Duncan!!!

17. Cipherous

Its his choice entirely where he wants to play, hes gonna be a unrestricted free agent next year.

18. Cipherous

for all the nay sayers,

Give a reason(s) why Duncan wouldn't want to come here? he doesn't like the weather? :rolleyes:

Ming doesn't like the spot light, so he doesn't mind revolving around Duncan. Duncan doesn't have an ego either. Thats why I'd think they'd be the perfect duo.

Whenver Tim comes to Houston, we should cheer for him and convince him that we'd ravish him if he came here!

19. AcBrave

AcBrave Member

this trades pisses me off a big time!!!!! wut the f*** is wrong w/ ur mind??? u want to trade Francis and EG for TD and tony WHO?

no!!! no Francis will stay no matter what!!!!!
    no way in hell!!!!(and ur mom's too)
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I would rather go after Brand of the LAC. He will be free after this season. We would have to offer him the same money as Steve Francis. He has greater potential than Duncan and is a more determined player!His age and association with Steve Francis,he should be a perfect fit. It would mean that Mobley,Griffin,Nachbar and Morris would never break into the realy big money with the Rockets, especially when Yao Ming gets his in 4 years.NB:- I would never feel right winning it all with an ex 'Spur' on my team! Team of the Future:- Francis, Mobley,Griffin,Brand and Yao Ming. Back up Maddox,Mickeal,Nachbar, Morris and a 50% OFF Cato. They win it all o5 to 012!