1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you rather have morey trade for Kaman, p.Gasol, or stand pat...?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Feb 14, 2012.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i ask because thier is alot of trade rumors out there, and alot of trade ideas(alot that i contribute too)... but i ask in all seriousness, would you trade starters for pau? trade future talent for kaman? or stand pat and stay were we have been for the last few years, mediocrity?

i understand that thread haters could argue that this could be posted in random trade thread or one of the pau or kaman threads... but thats not what im asking... im trying to spark a debate on what move you would rather make...

one for pau(and IMO his overpayed contract,while on the decline)...

one for kaman(which wouldnt cost as much but wouldnt be as significant)...

or just stay the course and continue down our path of middleness...

me personnally i would make the minor move for kaman( considering it would add front court depth and an expiring contract...

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Yes.

Your question is meaningless without knowing what assets we would be giving up, and that would veer this thread off into Random Trade territory.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

not neccasarily... im asking what you would rather due... give up starters(which is what would be need for pau)...

Give up youth or expirings(which is needed for kaman)...

or due absolutely nothing...

very simple actually... and in all honesty i dont think you would even say it deserves to be in random trades if i didnt say anything about it...

truth is, im not asking for 'specific' trades or giving up details...simply asking which kind of move would you rather support...

again, for those slower than others... not any 'specific' move, but rather which type of move would you rather support...

4. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

I don't want Gasol. Old ugly and uglier contract. Ironically, I could manage Kaman's ugliness, but that's since he's an expiring. I'd only be willing to give up our 09 busts and Scola for Kaman. I want PPat to be a starter and Scola's contract is looking worse now more than ever since he's lost his edge.

5. Spankie

Spankie Member

Kaman beasted against utah w000t

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Would give up 09 expirings for Kaman - PERHAPS a second round pick. But the deal would be to drop the total payroll of the Hornets and give them "talents" in Hill/ Williams to have marginal rights over.

Dragic/ Scola and a 2nd for Gasol - might throw in a non-rotation player (plus expiring for salary match).

Would rather stand pat apart from that - no sense going "all in" on Kaman or overpaying to get Gasol's huge contract.

This has all been done a million times though...

7. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Kaman, only because Pau's contract is a death blow to our free agent bonanza at seasons end. If they were both expirings, I'd try and get both.

8. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Would love to get rid of Scolas contract to take Kaman or Diaw. But both teams prefer younger talent.

9. alexsama

alexsama Member

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

I think Kaman would rather play here more than in NO... and Gasol would rather play in LA more than here.... I rather have a player who wants to be here and will work hard towards helping the team.

11. chief

chief Member

i dont want gasol for anything close to what ther asking...id like the kamen deal if we didnt give up anything but the 09 group..the 09 group is never gonna contend....if that doesnt happen we stand the way we are..and wait for our chance at a better player/s...we arent playing as bad as i thought thus far into the season..

12. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

If he's intent on trying to put together a championship caliber roster w/o building thru tanking, then I hope he bags Gasol. Lowry-Martin-Scola form a fringe playoff core, so why not flip a quickly deteriorating Scola and unassertive K-Mart for the most polished big in the NBA?

Kaman's not a game-changing move, and standing pat's only going to result in a first round exit (at best) and another late lottery pick. Morey already has the shooters and defensive-minded center to compliment Gasol, so it's the best bet for success, at this point.

If the Gasol trade dissolves, I wouldn't waste the time/money on Kaman... leaving tanking as the next best option (worked wonders for Seattle/OKC, and Minny's next in line). It'll definitely be a painful 2-3 years, or possibly 5, but it's the surest route to acquiring budding talent and eventually getting this franchise back to the top of the food chain.

And... if Morey does get Gasol, signing Eric Gordon this summer would be a powerful next move.

#12 MourningWood, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

A Gasol/Kaman frontcourt would be very interesting.

14. lr22

lr22 Member

The Hornets would rather take roll players to be put around Gordon than unpromising prospects because Their top priority is to keep Gordon. They are desparate for some depth.
    Imagine what their roster would be if '09 busts (unproven but have some potential except Hill and maybe Flynn) for Kaman deal be done and remember how bad they were without Kaman.

I don't think we can steal Kaman for our '09ers.
    They were trying to add some quality to the team for Kaman's expiring contract, I guess.
    So maybe Scola+Hil+Bud for Kaman is more likely to happen, still it is doubtful that Stern allows Demps to take Scola's contract though.

15. rockets06

rockets06 Member

I don't think Gasol would be a good fit and hate his contract. Would much rather go after Kaman to help us in the front-court while maintaining cap space in the summer. As long as we don't have to give up NY's 1st would be fine. I think a combination of Thabeet, Hill, and MIN 2nd would be ideal. If they want Scola, Budinger, Flynn, Williams then do it. Also reports was LAL was interested in Flynn maybe we could get their late 1st.

16. arjun

arjun Member

kave man

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's unbelievable how this myth keeps spreading. A Martin/Scola for Gasol swap gives the Rockets more room, not less, to spend on free agents.

18. Red&BlackPudman

Seriously! Can we establish this on every thread????!!!!!

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yes, Gasols 1 contract is less than the contracts of both Scola and Martin - but then u need a SG... fair market value on CLee is gonna be about 6M next year....so Pau/Clee is gonna be approx 5M/yr more than Scola/KMart....

20. cod

cod Member

it's only around $2M less but then you have an imbalanced roster with all that talent and salary tied up at PF with pau, donuts, and patterson.