1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Van Halen to Record First Studio Album in 12 Years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I agree with all of this, that's why I'm shooting for the upper deck.

I never got to see them in their heyday (with DLR), so really, I just want to be able to say I've seen them before I die. What can I say? I'm a sucker.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

They should do a week in Vegas.

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

This album comes out tomorrow. I've already heard the album in its entirety. The 1st single "Tattoo" does not do it any justice. Skip the 1st track and just press play. It is a loud, rocking vintage David Lee Roth Van Halen record. Long time fans should be happy with the finished result. I think it fits in nicely with the rest of their catalouge. It's one of the best rock album's i've heard from a band over 50.

Half the album is re-recorded songs with new lyrics and the other half are new songs, just not sure when they were written. They've all got that 70's or early 80's van halen sound. I love the drumming on this one. I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow.

#103 JPM0016, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The demos are 70s not 80s.

Demos not good enough to make their first three albums.

Gonna check it tomorrow on spotify, but I am prepared to be disappointed.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Thanks for the review and the reminder, I forgot this was coming out tomorrow. I'll pick it up during lunch for sure.

6. Souprocket

Souprocket Contributing Member

I agree, tattoo probably the weakest song on the album. As is, is my favorite. Granted I have been waiting for this to happen since 1985, but I am impressed.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Sounds like some early good news. Will buy.

8. Surfguy

Just downloaded and am listening. Eddie is definitely rocking the sh_t out of that guitar. Wow! DLR's vocals are good. Most of the songs rock...almost too hard for me in my old age. Definite flashbacks to earlier times.

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Was going to shy away after "Tattoo" was released, but I went ahead and bought it since the reviews seem pretty good.

10. Surfguy

Just really digging Eddie's guitar work on this one. Been listening all afternoon. Feels like money well spent.

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

What are your favorites so far? I'm really liking "You and Your Blues", "China Town", "The Trouble With Never" and "Beat's Workin".

DLR vocals are solid through out. You can't expect him to hit the same notes he once did but he does an admiral job. A lot of singers that are his age lose that recognizable voice yet he's still got it.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Listening right now on Spotify ...

EVH is going wild.

Any of these songs come have come from the first three albums. Not surprising since half were reworked demos from that time frame. The vibe from the demos bleeds over to the new tunes as well.

I suspect diehard VH/DLR fans are going to love this CD.

Casual VH fans might not love it as much. There are no radio friendly hits, at least to most ears. No Jump. No Panama. No Hot for Teacher. Methinks DLR could have used a little help on the song writing, like his last three or four solo CDs.

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I was dead set on not buying this album. I mean I had pretty much made up my mind.

I got up to work on Wednesday (was off Tuesday), and I got to thinking about bands that I might want to buy some new CDs for. Pretty soon Van Halen came to mind, and I remembered they had a new CD that came out on Tuesday.

Long story short, I ended up buying the CD anyways, and I'm glad I did. It's got some good stuff on there. Stay Frosty is my favorite song on the album at the moment.

14. ima_drummer2k

So am I the only sucker who got tickets to the Houston show in June?

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'll be there, upper deck all the way!

16. ima_drummer2k

No kidding. Not paying all that money to be in the lower deck or the floor.

We're in the 3rd row of the upper deck looking directly at the stage. Better seats than the last reunion show I went to (The Police) when we were on the top row with the wall behind us. We were literally above the highest speakers in the venue.

17. Surfguy

I remember when I camped out for VH tickets at Alameda Mall for the "1984" tour. They wouldn't let you on the lot overnight. We were in a van in a parking lot just off the mall parking lot. We were partying a bit and we both passed out. We woke up and looked outside to see a really long line. Boy, did we blow it! Doh!

That tour sold out three shows and we were so far back in line we ended up getting upper promenade for the second show. Only one show was originally scheduled but they announced two more shows while we were in line. What was so bad about the experience is we should have been first in line when they opened up the parking lot had we not passed out. And, we would have had front row for sure. It was no fun watching the people in front and the lucky ones in the middle run out of there screaming in excitement about having front row tickets.

I was a teenager back then so camping out was "cool". But, it never worked out. I camped out quite a few times for various shows and never got floor...not once! The one time I was like third in line and, of course, there was a technical glitch where the stupid lady couldn't pull up the floor seats in her system and we ended up lower promenade. Argh! lol

I've scored better seats through online purchases than I ever got camping out. But, I don't think I will be attending this show in Dallas. It's a Wednesday night show. I hate mid-week shows; only Rush gets me mid-week. :)

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

best seats i ever got were purchased online - got 12th row for prince at the spurz center in 2004. it was more badass than i could have possibly imagined.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Rather listen to this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_5iPUk2jw5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>