1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ok. I gotcha.

I am convinced Dwight is being traded March 15th. Don't know where. But I do feel that for the Clippers and Lakers to beat what Darryl is going to offer for Dwight, they are going to have to serve up both Bynum and Pau in the Lakers' case and both Blake and Deandre in the Clippers case.

I don't think the Clippers have the b..ls to do it. I do think the Lakers will cave and make the deal. In that scenario, if we can get our mits on Pau, then we would have a legitimate shot at trading for Dwight since NY should see that it is most likely for Deron to walk away to Dallas at the end of the season.

I just don't any circumstances where the Nets move DWill unless Dwight is gone and locked up.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed. If Deron makes it known he will not resign with the Nets then Houston is an ideal trading partner because Lowry is a very good and cheap replacement and Scola is a good piece the Nets have had prior interest in.

You hope (ironically just like the Nets did/are hoping) that by securing Deron first Howard will follow of his own volition.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I am still not backing down from my belief that Lowry is all-star level. I'll eat my words later if his slump becomes permanent, but in my mind it remains just that; a slump. The end of last year and the beginning of this year were enough to make believe that a 20+ PER was his new baseline.

My stance on a Deron trade doesn't change: don't swap Lowry out for him UNLESS you first have had conversations with Orlando and reasonably believe you could get both. Because as a single deal, I see no sense in taking on Deron's 18M salary for what I consider to be a wash in play.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Although I agree that it would be almost useless to take on Deron's 18 million contract, with a player option for next year, I would most definitely not call it a wash in play.

Lowry is great, I love the guy to death, unfortunately he's just not enough for the team to become great. He may become an all star but he won't be the guy attracting superstars like Dwight to play in the same city as him.

If this means getting rid of your best player to get a player in a tier slightly higher than him, you have to do it. I don't think Lowry is as good as Deron has been/is. But I do agree that this would be more of a lateral move if we don't attract other stars.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm starting to really doubt this, personally. End of last year was against a lot of lottery-bound teams that weren't competing very hard. And beginning of this year, teams maybe weren't as well-prepared as usual because of the limited training camp and practice time.

I think Lowry really worked on his shooting, and that improvement is legitimate. And I'm sure he's gotten more comfortable with certain teammates (particularly, playing with Kevin Martin). But him all of a sudden making the jump to all-star level? Reflecting back, maybe that's unrealistic.

6. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Next has to be improvement around the basket. He gets there and draws contact intentionally, but that does not work anymore. He has to learn to finish like the good PGs like Parker, Rondo, CP3 etc do on a regular basis. Maybe he should stop looking for contact and just finish. A. Brooks was actually pretty good at this.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Maybe his "improvement" was just a hot streak and this is the real him?

8. durvasa

A hot streak that lasted over a full season? We know, heading into last season, that he said he was specifically working on his outside shooting. Why assume its a fluke instead of hard work paying off?

Shooting is something that players can improve with practice.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It didn't last over a full season, it was pretty much from January through April, he was pretty bad at the start of last year.....

Honestly, I think Lowry is vastly overated here.

DD

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Actually Kyle Lowry started exploding as early as November. January through April was when Lowry was at his best.

Lowry was averaging 13 points, 8 assist, 4 rebounds and 2 steals in 2010 November.

From then on his stats either hovered around that range or boosted from this range.

So it's fair to say Lowry's improvement went on for a season, over a season in fact.

11. durvasa

He was off for several games coming off an injury early in November. From 11/19 to end of that month, he was over 40% on 3s. And he shot 47% on 3s in December.

Edit: Made mistake on my calculations. He was 33% on 3s from 11/19 to end of Nov last season (which is still an improvement over his career average). Point still stands. He was a much improved outside shooter for virtually all of last season.

#531 durvasa, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Deron Williams was supposedly mulling over whether to take that extra year on his contract. I'm too lazy to post any ESPN article. Probably his way of notifying Dwight to see if a NJ trade can pan out.

13. gotsis

gotsis Member

Lowry improved. But barring this slump being a injury problem it shows that probably lowry just isnĀ“t a all star.

14. durvasa

As you can see, much longer sustained periods shooting over 30% last couple seasons, and a clear upward trend in attempts. Improvement or Fluke? You be the judge.

[​IMG]

#534 durvasa, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  15. Pete the Cheat

could you lay those two curves on top of each other? great work as always

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Big gap between All-Star level and superstar level.

17. onreego

onreego Member

Honestly, as much as I'd hate to see Lowry go, it would be a minor sting if we get Deron. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but his slump may have to do with teams finally planning their defense around stopping him. The league is adjusting to him and to truly reach an all star level he needs to be able to counter. If he gains the ability to do that then maybe I can see an argument here. He might just need time but how long are the Rockets willing to wait?

18. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Dwight Howard and Deron Williams are also close to SJax. All three are malcontents and can be had.

Get SJax now.

Courtney Lee and Thabeet? for SJax.

PG: Kyle Lowry | Goran Dragic | Johnny Flynn
    SG: Kevin Martin | Chase Budinger
    SF: SJax | Chandler Parsons | Terrence Williams
    PF: Luis Scola | PPat | MoMo
    C: Sammy Dalembert | Jordan Hill

Kyle Lowry, Scola and pick for Deron Williams.
    Kevin Martin, Sammy Dalembert, Jordan Hill and more picks for Dwight Howard?

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yeah it is. Who's the superstar we're talking about again?

20. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

It's either Lowry or Williams.

Hint:
    It's not Lowry.