1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TRAITOR - - Coach Fran leaves for A & M

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Mr. Mooch, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

with the news of former alabama coach franchione leaving to fill the coaching vacancy at texas a & m, do u think he was a traitor to the ua? or are u overjoyed to think that he will be the highest-paid, new coach of the aggies?

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Nah the NCAA sanctions made his job unbearable. Good career move, even if it is to college station.

3. mduke

mduke Member

If Alabama wasn't on probation, It'd be a bad move.

And whoever said Franchione is an honest man was lying to you....;)

4. drapg

drapg Member

no way am I happy about the decision, but with probation, its a good move.

w/o the sanctions, it would have been a step down. Alabama is superior to A&M (football program wise), in my opinion.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

17 threads about this wasn't enough, huh?

6. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

17?!?!!? i had no clue. oh well.

but anyway, for fran to bring his players through arguably the toughest time in the alabama football program and then just get up and leave is kind of stiff. the fact is he was denying rumors all week long, he was telling his players that he was staying, and then all of a sudden, he leaves.

i think a & m will get a fantastic coach, and i believe it is where HE wanted to be all along. it was an obvious choice for him, leaving the sanctions behind and with all the $3.2 mil/year.

it wasnt his fault for the sanctions and he never held a grudge against the university, but when he signed the alabama contract, he promised a commitment to the university through 2007.

this was from an interview with alabama ad mal moore:

"Moore emphasized experience as a must for any future Crimson Tide coaching candidate and also, in an apparent dig at Franchione, willingness to stay at the Capstone.

'I feel strongly this hire needs to be an experienced head coach on the college level and a person who will have a long-term commitment to the university and one who recognizes our potential to compete for championships and honors in the tradition of the Crimson Tide,' Moore said."