1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clyde Drexler has got to go...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Gary Vance

Gary Vance Member

I Love Clyde Drexler

Who are you people? Clyde Drexler is a Houston icon. I know enough about basketball and the Rockets to not need a smooth commentator with silver tongued vernacular. I love what Clyde brings to the game...himself. I get my popcorn and a cold one and dial in the Rockets and then I get to sit next to Clyde freakin Drexler and watch the game. I would not choose Bill or Bull or even good old Calvin over Clyde. I don't care what he says or how well he says it. I just love the opportunity to hang out with the man come game time. There's only one ex-Rocket that I would choose over him and that is Hakeem. How well does he talk? It's the person!

You people are so smug and critical it makes me sick to my stomach. I just hope and pray that Clyde never sees your heartless and disgusting comments. Are your lives so pathetic that all you can do is try to make yourselves seem articulate and and basketball savvy by ragging on Clyde Drexler? Grow up!! Please examine your hearts and turn your lives around.

Drexler is a top 50 all time NBA great, an ex-Rocket and a celebrity Houstonian. Show some respect. He's a good human being. After all, Clyde isn't running for President...he's talking basketball. All things considered I'd vote for him over the current crop of ding dongs that are running.

My next thread will be...Drexler for President!!

As Mutombo would say...Kiss whatever it was he suggested.

2. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

From the original post, you'd think Clyde Drexler tried to sell Knote32 a broken Xbox 360 or something.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Bullard for home and away commentator; he is great.

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

wow, another complain thread. Great.

Clyde for president.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The one thing I am noticing more and more as I watch the games this season it seems like there is a bit of tension between Clyde and Bill. It seems in a way Clyde is always trying to be right or has been called out by Bill enough times on things that he just talks back in a way or finds a way to make his statement be right.

You can tell that they go back and forth a lot and that some of the chemistry is not there. Anyone else notice that?

6. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Have you listened to the radio? It is laughable. Ackerman and Blanks need to pay attention to what Vandermeer and Andre Ware do on the Texans broadcast. The play by play man should always describe what is going on while the color man enhances the picture and gives perspective. Ackerman always goes off on tangents and it hard to see in your minds eye what is going on. Gene and Jim were very good at this. As a side note Blanks pregame recount of the previous game is really annoying with all the rhyming. The rhyming doesn't even make sense. Just give it to us straight.

That said, Clyde is not overbearing. He really has good insight from time to time. It is impossible to please everyone, but he has his fans including me. Pound for pound he's much better than the radio guys for as much training they have. With all my criticism of the radio guys, I think they have the talent to do it better.

7. bro2044

bro2044 Member

AHAHAHAHA I love JVG but omg this made me laugh so hard ahahahahahaha

8. bro2044

bro2044 Member

whenever fans complain about Bill and Clyde, I think of commentators like Sean Elliot and am glad we have 'em. That guy is such a biased idiot, he says the stupidest things has the worst reactions to whats going on on the court.

Clyde is incredibly cheesy, horribly so, but he's so good-hearted and he gives the other team credit and criticizes the Rockets. Bill loves this team, and is getting older and more easily frustrated with refs, but he does them give credit after replays show the zebras were right, calls the game well, and also gives the other team credit and criticizes Houston when times call for it.

I almost wish for Worrel and Clyde EVERY TIME other announcers are on. National TV ones dont bother me as much, but from other cities... Boston, SA, Utah etc...omg they're atrocious and say DUMB things. Not cheesy, obvious things like Clyde, not PUNS like Bullard, but seriously mentally-slow DUMB things about the game during the game. Also, I'll notice they'll also complain about refs, but then not give credit due after replays.

Matt and Clyde are annoying sometimes, but I like Bill and I like our guys just fine. They crack up and are fun... instead of cranky aholes calling for other squads. Sometimes I think Worrell might kill Drex, haha, but they do laugh and have a good time back there. It wont ever sub for Murph and Bill back in the day for me, but sometimes I think we're a little too critical. Its better than having dumb, cynical homers behind the mics like some teams.

9. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I agree with others that he's not fantastic at commentating really, BUT I don't dislike him and I think this is actually a great post. He's a good human being and each game I get to listen in and hang out with an NBA great. nice.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm already sick of him tonight. My god this guy is terrible. Someone do something already!

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He is trying way too hard tonight.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I switched over to the Raptors broadcast. They are much, much better. Giving some serious love to Lowry,

13. Mr. Clutch

"Barbosa with the unorthodox 2 handed shot! But he's very efficient with it.

He's shooting 31%"

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think Clyde has improved considerably. Yeah he has his occassional stupid comments but he is much better than Bullard. I get sick of Bullards cheesy comments and always talking about the food he is going to eat.

His voice is easier to listen too and he does make insightful points from time to time. Plus he is a Houston Icon. I like the guy and would be happy if he called all all the games.

All you have to do is listen to the other teams commentators to know how lucky we are. Sean elliot is terrible. Have you listend to the other Clyde for the Knicks. They have all the money to spend on top notch comentators and the best they can do is Walt. He puts me to sleep. Drexler is ten times better than him.

15. Mr. Clutch

Agree on Bull but Clyde was worse than ever last night.

Clyde feels the need to put in some generic comment everytime something happens.

"He grabs rebounds night in and and night out."

"He is the type of player who hustles all the time."

"That's just what he does, he makes open shots with consistency."

"LUIS!"

Geez, just shutup Clyde if you have nothing insightful to say.

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Calvin, JVG and Battier (when he retires)

17. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I agree Clyde has to go but Bullard too, always with the stupid cookie jokes and whining about the refs and flopping. I am sure people who watch a game once will get very annoyed. There's nothing entertaining about Rockets commentary.

The main thing that is missing is chemistry, Calvin & Bill had this but how quick people forget Calvin was terrible in his last few years. Always with the suits and overdoing things. It's time for a fresh breeze.

18. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

Much better than Bullard? That's crazy. I guess everyone has their opinion but yours is definitely in the minority. Not saying Bullard is the best but at least he adds something to the broadcast as far as x's and o's instead of just repeating what Bill says. Dont know how many times Clyde will say something about the efficiency of an opposing player who's shooting in the 30's.

The Knicks have Frazier and Marv Albert. Albert one of the top play by play men ever. I've only watched the Knicks a few times on LP but Frazier seems pretty good. He's waayyy better than Drexler.

19. rimshot

rimshot Member

I think the opposite of the OP, Though clyde might mispronounces some names and won't talk your ear off, he has some legitimate points and an accurate view of in game situations that bill could never come up with because he has never played the game on a professional level like clyde has.

Me and my friends literally laugh out loud at how corny bill Worrel can be at times, its literally embarrasing to hear some of the things he says. He one time called a blocked shot that landy had last year a "knock away" ? He constantly is being corrected on what the correct calls are even though he is sitting in the second row! Get Bill outta there, he is too old and does not relate well to the moder game.

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

YOUUUUUUU...SHUT UP! That man is the voice of my childhood!

I'm kidding, I understand why one might not like Bill and he's obviously getting old, but I couldn't criticize Bill, it would be like calling out Santa or Kermit the Frog for me.