1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drexler for President!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gary Vance, Feb 1, 2012.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Drexler for Consummate Professional!

This thread is nothing but net!

and now I will laugh at my own joke....hahahahahhahaha

2. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

I too think it's purely miserable that people would complain about Clyde Drexler.

His contribution to Rockets culture should be untouchable - for me as a sports fan, it is not how he puts things now, but rather how he did things, and how that impacts his commentary during game telecasts - so even if what he says can confuse an analysis sometimes, I would never hold that against him. I know that, for what he says, his heart and his spirit is always in the right place. That's way more than enough for me.

I think, when Chuck Hayes was new to the league, a lot of his comments about Chuck's play were actually helpful to how Chuck later became a better defender and player. Not sure if Chuck ever heard those trickles of commentary across all those home game telecasts... but that to me serves as a great example of Clyde's genuine care for our players. To me, again - his spirit resides properly on the Rockets courtside. He should always feel welcome to have a place there, always.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What did he say about Chuck back then? I don't remember.

4. Prince

Prince Member

Gary Vance for president of Clyde Drexler Club.

5. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Player vs Commentator is two different things but I'm with you in that he should stay just for the humor factor alone. I seriously lol at just about every game he commentates. Bull is just annoying trying to over analyze plays, nick names, etc. Calvin would be nice but we know Leslie wont allow that.

6. thething

thething Contributing Member

It's just like clubbing baby seals.

7. Landry92

Landry92 Member

So anybody that doesn't like Clyde as a broadcaster has a pathetic life :confused:. And Ofcourse you loving Clyde makes you more of real Rockets fan than all of us

Pretty extreme opinion, nice effort though.

8. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

I recall Clyde almost having an agenda when Chuck was on the floor, to politely cheer the guy on in an "oh shucks, don't do that Chuck! or that!" manner. He'd say lots of common sense asides, things like, "Chuck needs to think about where he's standing on that play and not be so hasty. He had a good defensive position there."

Then, I would always appreciate Clyde's flow of emotion, or just be entertained by it - because on the next defensive series, Clyde would say the opposite: "oh don't think Chuck! Hayes needs to know when to trust his instincts and get that rebound while he's got him boxed out, Bill..." (something like that)

Blah blah blah. (SORRY!!) ...I hope that helps. Clyde ebbs and flows all the time in what he says. Sometimes I think it is fair to say that what he is saying can confuse a young fan of the game, for example - and other times, he has a good finger on the pulse of what the players need to do to say, get the lead back - so for me I find that exciting to see such a passionate former player give his two cents, for better or worse.

(I'm making stuff up a little there, sorry, just trying to shoot from the hip with an example memory of the sort of thing he'd say about Chuck).

9. durvasa

That was pretty funny.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JJ1MTsLHjTk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

You should see the look on my wife's face as she rolls her eyes when Clyde says something soooo obvious...even to her. And she's not even watching the game!

Love Clyde the basketball player. Not a huge fan of his broadcasting career.

1 person likes this.
  11. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

The people that rag on Clyde not only disrespect a fine human - they have short memories about what an alternative can bring.

Be careful for that which you wish - you just might get it...

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I don't understand the hatred at all. Have any of you people watched other games with other color commentators? Guess what? Almost all of them suck. Why do you think people complain about John Madden, Chris Collinsworth, Doris Burke, DICK VITALE, Bill Walton, JAWS, etc...

Who the **** really cares if Clyde "takes his job seriously"? Even the color commentators that do usually aren't very good. I'm pretty sure nobody on this board is the owner of FSN so it really shouldn't offend people so much. It's just crazy...

I personally LOVE watching Rockets commentators because they are super/ultra biased and you don't see that as much in baseball and not at all in football. Jeez people, if you don't like hearing Clyde speak, then there is this thing called a mute button. Use it. Better yet, just stop watching Rockets games.

13. ILoveTheRockets

If Drexler was president. He'd be the black version of W. Bush. Horrible speaker majority of the time, but a hell of a player.

14. ILoveTheRockets

This..

I don't want my home team commentators being some boring team. Love the fact that Bill, Clyde, Bull and the entire FSN squad are so engulfed with homerism. It really brings another element to watching the Rockets games and actually gets non-fans interested.

And frankly, I have learned a lot about basketball from Bill. Clyde provides a great insight into the inner workings of a players mind for both teams. That's like Tiger Woods giving you golf tips on during tournaments.

The Rockets commentators are the best around. period.

even the commentators on 2k games try to be like them. c'mon now

15. Yaowwwww

Yaowwwww Member

We need stevie franchise and cuttino cat mobley in the booth :p

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm guessing that Drexler's political career would go about as well as his college coaching career.

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Well, I think Texans should root Ron Paul on President race, not Drexler. Coming back to the topic, no one hates Drexler as a person, but as a TV commentators, he is just bad. Having said that I still think he is better than Barkely or Smith on TNT.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You know what I had to do just to avoid hearing Drexler on my TV this season?!??!

Buy season tickets. That way I just have to see and hear Bull on the road games!

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Dick VITALE? That man is just embarrassing to watch, but Bill Walton is one of the best ones although some people do not like him because he says some stupid things, but he is just funny, not stupid.

20. durvasa

Hmmm ... maybe the home game broadcasts are purposely bad to get fans into Toyota Center instead?